Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

right is right, wrong is wrong,

cowardice is cowardice, honour is honour.

in any land and any time since the dawn of time.

top 50 for sure - of all tme - more aptly within the top 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlANWgyK2PY

and yes I stand with Paul Scoffield as a Universal Humanist, not a tribalist nor hypocrite.

at least THIS movie is offered on Bluray - and remastered. (i.e. looks clear and sharp).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker

Post by Walker »

Hey, I saw it on your recommendation.

The lighter side.

Halloween. A strange American holiday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3CLswG6Yo

Big fan of John Updike a long time ago.
He should have won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 am Hey, I saw it on your recommendation.

thanks for answering my inquiry - so many foriegn movies are no longer (they used to be 50 yrs ago) shown here nor known about in general.

final sophie days is a good one - full movie below in lower rez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRvF6ZBK18

dialog- i.e. when words/ideas matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqnD_165Ow4

and

Hunger scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aycGYu_8Hhw

american "hollywood"/etc too shallow for me (escapism) - shallow characters with no moral ideas/ideals - nor even fully formed characters with actaul depth of character.

give me FOREIGN FLICKS

where both are offered - Ideas/ideals, and character dev................fuck! can you link me any American movie made post 1980 with scene/scrip as the two foriegn flicks - of a 40 others - these 2 i posted due to commng to mind and like the movies of.

????????????? can you?

i don;t think so.

Hollywood is too fucking shallow and Americans are to excapist (cowardly IMO) to demand REAL concepts REAL morality REAL characters and REAL WORLD.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

another movie (foreign of course) worth viewing

Dark Blue World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJTz9VozSYI
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

the Hunt - where if you are a man you are assumed guilty via PC modernity Cultural Values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieLIOBkMgAQ

great movie about real stuff (so not American nor Hollywood).

guy gets shit on over 6 yr old girls words - who has a crush on him and is emparassed when corrected for that crush.

best friend throw him to the curb and beleives his wife's bias - so not a friend afterall. other 2-3 rd order friend (and son) - believe in him over the little girl.

one could say the move is about PC and being male is a minus at any starting gate (and it is)- but morso the theme of the movie is when the shit hits the fan, you will know who are your friends and who aint!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

on point comment about The Hunt (a foreign movie about reality - rather than american fluff about non-reality) from a comment on youtube:

It wasn't just her (i.e the 6 yr old kid) lie that ruined him; the responsibility falls squarely on the adults around her. Notice how many of them (even police) eventually began to feed her answers, and even when she later says that it didn't happen, her parents insist that it did and she merely doesn't remember. It was their responsibility to try to investigate before taking her word at face value and jumping to conclusions; we all know that children make things up, even if we don't want to believe it. And, it was their responsibility to not succumb to hysteria and manipulate the very person they thought they were protecting. But, alas, they did believe her initial story without question or reservation, and as soon as she changed it, then went on believing in her initial story and tried to convince her it was true.
What I got out of this film is that righteous indignation isn't always a strength, and when it gets tied into common irrational assumptions that we want to believe (e.g. "children never lie"), it can actually lead us to behave in extremely harmful and dangerous ways, including manipulating the very people that we love and the people that we think we are protecting. So, while Klara most certainly will feel immense guilt throughout her life, at the end of the day, her parents and the other adults around her are the ones who are truly responsible.

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 am on point comment about The Hunt (a foreign movie about reality - rather than american fluff about non-reality) from a comment on youtube:

It wasn't just her (i.e the 6 yr old kid) lie that ruined him; the responsibility falls squarely on the adults around her. Notice how many of them (even police) eventually began to feed her answers, and even when she later says that it didn't happen, her parents insist that it did and she merely doesn't remember. It was their responsibility to try to investigate before taking her word at face value and jumping to conclusions; we all know that children make things up, even if we don't want to believe it. And, it was their responsibility to not succumb to hysteria and manipulate the very person they thought they were protecting. But, alas, they did believe her initial story without question or reservation, and as soon as she changed it, then went on believing in her initial story and tried to convince her it was true.
What I got out of this film is that righteous indignation isn't always a strength, and when it gets tied into common irrational assumptions that we want to believe (e.g. "children never lie"), it can actually lead us to behave in extremely harmful and dangerous ways, including manipulating the very people that we love and the people that we think we are protecting. So, while Klara most certainly will feel immense guilt throughout her life, at the end of the day, her parents and the other adults around her are the ones who are truly responsible.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 am on point comment about The Hunt (a foreign movie about reality - rather than american fluff about non-reality) from a comment on youtube:

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTF do you delete posts? (see above) ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am HTF do you delete posts? (see above) ;-/.
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 am
gaffo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am HTF do you delete posts? (see above) ;-/.
I just erase everything in the edit, then type in "deleted." The mod will later erase the whole thing to tidy up, or not. The important thing for you is that it gets erased.

If someone else wrote it, just ask them to erase it and see what happens. At least have a reason for asking.
Walker

Post by Walker »

One of the top ten scenes in moviedom.

"Do you ever think about things that you do think about?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNdYsoool8

Articulated ideas.

Hollywood should know by now that folks are hungry for this.
Walker

Post by Walker »

From the same link:

Inherit The Wind

Q: Supposing Mr. Cates had the influence and the lung power to railroad through the state legislature a law saying that only Darwinism could be taught in the schools?

A: Ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Ha!