Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 am Every scene from both Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" and Monty Pythons "Life of Brian"

Nuff said :)
yes indeed.

Sellers "i'm a gardener" is great in all things.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:15 pm
reasonvemotion wrote:Patton

https://youtu.be/YrtS2_TfbeYAetixintro

George C Scott is amazing in this movie.
I agree, buy at the end of the day, he fails to go that final step into portraying Patton as the idiot that he was. Patton wanted to press on to Moscow. The world would have been a different place if he had done that, and either the official language of Europe would have been Russian, or Europe would have chosen to keep Russia its ally and the US would be an economic backwater.
Patton may have been an idiot, but truman as moreso (yes we were "War weary" - but the "reds" had bleed 25 million and were more weary.

we had the bomb - they did not - should have threatened them to "back off" over ceasing Eastern Europe. they would have backed off.

but we did not do shit, and allowed them to take half of europe 70 long years!

not good. and could have been prevented.

oh well.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

City of Life and Death- first 15 min (street fighting in Nanking).

Black and white movie made in 2012? - yes subtitles - unless you know Chinese.

if you can read its not a problem

best war movie i seen, and i've seen many.

Battle of Algiers is the second best war movie BTW.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Any of Kurosawa's samurai movies and Houston and Misumi's Shogun Assassin.

And if you love Kung Fu movies the comedy pastiche Kung Fu Hustle.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084786/

They call me Bruce... funny

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

The Twilight Zone

The Obsolete Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3quruHpcuo

Great introduction by Rod Serling

They don’t write them like this anymore.

I wonder why.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”
- Rod Serling.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

What Vanilla sky tells us about reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbui68J0Hl0

"You are the witness of the three bodies: the gross, the subtle, and the causal, and of the three times: past, present and future, and also this void. In the story of the tenth man, when each of them counted and thought they were only nine, each one forgetting to count himself, there is a stage when they think one is missing and do not know who it is; and that corresponds to the void. We are so accustomed to the notion that all that we see around us is permanent and that we are this body, that when all this ceases to exist we imagine and fear that we also have ceased to exist." -Ramana Maharshi

You are the dreamer, the dreaming, and the dream.

You do not die and go to heaven. You are born into heaven as the dream you have dreamt for yourself.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm What Vanilla sky tells us about reality.

"You are the witness of the three bodies: the gross, the subtle, and the causal, and of the three times: past, present and future, and also this void. In the story of the tenth man, when each of them counted and thought they were only nine, each one forgetting to count himself, there is a stage when they think one is missing and do not know who it is; and that corresponds to the void. We are so accustomed to the notion that all that we see around us is permanent and that we are this body, that when all this ceases to exist we imagine and fear that we also have ceased to exist." -Ramana Maharshi

You do not die and go to heaven. You are born into heaven as the dream you have dreamt for yourself.

Would you like to start and monitor a thread about either Sri Ramana Maharshi or Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj?

I'll participate.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:27 pm
Would you like to start and monitor a thread about either Sri Ramana Maharshi or Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj?

I'll participate.

Yeah sure.

And do you mean what these guys taught, or about the guys personal life stories?

If you mean what they taught, yes, that would be fun...so do you mean about what they taught..or what?

We could include both of them since they were very similar if not identical in their approaches to reality...we could even include U.G.K and go all the way.. :wink:

It would be quite fun to have a really awakened thread dedicated to the master gurus for a change. I don't think it's been done before here at the PNF, not that I know of anyway, I could be wrong.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Just start it up, see what happens. Your thread, your call. I don’t see how it could be any more awakened than some of the things I’ve read here. My vote is for Sri Nisargadatta. He’s less ethereal, more suited to the times I think, given his humble life and circumstances.

UG Krishnamurti could start a riot, too distracting.

I'll post if something pops up, and I'm around, which given the circumstances will be less, which is good for more stewing time.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm What Vanilla sky tells us about reality.

I saw that movie and rather liked it.

Great ending.
Walker

Post by Walker »

By gum, they don’t make them like this anymore.

Smart money folks should realize there’s a hunger out there for this sort of movie, and ease up on the worn-out formulas. There’s no candy-coating so it’s not a chick flick.

The clip is about the human condition of innocence speaking to a world that can’t hear.

The man is deaf and can’t speak, but he can read lips. He lives in a rooming house.

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qrp7t69tSU
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:43 am Any of Kurosawa's samurai movies and Houston and Misumi's Shogun Assassin.

And if you love Kung Fu movies the comedy pastiche Kung Fu Hustle.
I've been meaning to view his works - not even seen his famous 7 sam movie. on my list for the last 20 yrs, but not taken the time to view it and his other works yet. I'm a fan of foriegn movies - they have more "heart" and concern the human condition (universal humanism) unlike the excapist pap american movies (outside of the few indies that are still made every few yrs here) have offered - all action, no script, no social theme, no charater dev, just big exposions, asshole villians with character dev with dept of a bird bath, and destopianism for nilalisms sake (becuase asshole villians and empty dystopia is kewl man!!!!!!!!).

older - pre-1980's american movies had heart (and I'm glad to finally see these older american movies FINALLY being offer on bluray. Body Snatchers (79 version is the best). Magic (utterly forgotten today), The Other (another forgotten classic from the 70's).

still waiting for Ordinary People to be moved from a piss poor DVD to a decent Bluray offering ;-/.

Dystopic futures are GREAT then they serve the greater theme of a social statment - like the 70's Rollerball, Planet of the Ages series, Colosis he Probin project (soon to be on Bluray), Lathe of Heaven - yes DR Habor was a dick, but not a shallow villian - just a pridfilled fool who fked up the world more in his egotisical attempts to "fix" the world.

I only take the time to disscover old american movies today - learn of ones i never heard of everyday (like Rapture - when checking to see if The Rapture is on Bluray (its not ;-/.........good american movie 90's) ........stumbled upon the older "rapture" 1965 which looks worthy for me to view now.

I don't even bother to waste my time on any american movie made since the 1990's. I assume it crap. I can count on my left hand the 5 decent american movies made in the last 20 yrs.

Zodiac, 7 yrs a Slave, The Visitor, The Kings Speech,.................? can't think of any more. sad.

-------------

during those 20 empty american made movie timeline - via the foreigner's offerings:

House of Sand, Central Station, children of heaven, song of sparrows, color of paradise (these last three by Iranian Majid Majidi), valentin, Hunger (made by the guy that did 7 yrs a slave), Dark Blue World (2nd personal fav - about friendship), Final Day of Sophie Scholl, Downfall, The Lives of Others (3rd personal fav - about redemption), Zelary, City of Life and Death.

thats 10 vs 4 off hand..............but that is from my mem posting now - its more like 4 to 1 at least if i had the time to think it through.

fact is american movies SUCK today - and sadly it think it is a reflection of the health (which is not good) of my American society today. "We" simply do not value "thinking about the human condition" - unlike folks in other nations - where more movies with "heart" are made at a ratio of at least 4 times what i see made here in the last 20 yrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0SETWIO8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqnD_165Ow4

Hollywood is unable and the modern american public is unwilling to allow movies with dialog/feeling/artistry as the two above links.

since i know the above links were from moves made in other lands, i assume others (non americans) - have more depth of character and value the human condition moreso to allow movies like the above to be made.

thanks for repy Foggy...............I need to join you with my former avatar from the other place which closed down and from which i came) Crusader Rabbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo
Walker

Post by Walker »

fact is american movies SUCK today - and sadly it think it is a reflection of the health (which is not good) of my American society today. "We" simply do not value "thinking about the human condition" - unlike folks in other nations - where more movies with "heart" are made at a ratio of at least 4 times what i see made here in the last 20 yrs.
Rationally, it makes more sense to say it’s the corporate mentality of film makers that sucks, not to mention that they all (most) supported Hillary Clinton’s politics. Hollywood folks are often heard ignorantly spouting off about politics.

If you don’t have the right politics, you don’t make films unless you keep your mouth shut, or unless you’re a giant like Eastwood.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 pm
Rationally, it makes more sense to say it’s the corporate mentality of film makers that sucks, not to mention that they all (most) supported Hillary Clinton’s politics. Hollywood folks are often heard ignorantly spouting off about politics.

If you don’t have the right politics, you don’t make films unless you keep your mouth shut, or unless you’re a giant like Eastwood.
So actors aren't allowed to have political opinions? They live in the country and vote just like anyone else.
The reason American films have become shallow shit is money obsession, and because your society has become so dumbed-down that shallow shit is what makes the most money. When people stop paying to see shallow shit then film makers will stop making it. You have to be well educated (which means learning how to think critically) to know crap when you see it.
You should have stopped after your first sentence; it's the only one that made sense.