Thanksgiving: what do you have to be thankful for?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Thanksgiving: what do you have to be thankful for?

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote:I can see why America is not looked kindly upon. Even as a resident, I'm horrified by its dark evils and ignorant primitive attitudes. If I were not settled where I am within a good community, I would probably be moving right now... as visions of Trump and those who are his rabidly hateful supporters are giving me nightmares.

Although America may not be well represented on this forum by our rag-tag team of American posters (of which I am one), there are TRULY some BEAUTIFUL people and places and communities to behold here. We're not all backward and conniving and insane... as hard as that may be to believe. :)

And as discouraging as things seem right now in the U.S... I'm thinking that the horrors to come will serve as a springboard for the BEST in us to come forth... eventually... if I'm still alive to see it. When the smoke clears, we may never ever return to what we've been previously... and we may be much better off for it. A great purging that ensures we'll never "go there" again. Of course it's awful that any country's insanity affects the whole world, but it's hard to escape that when we're sharing a planet.

Perhaps non-Americans on this forum could offer some compassion and helpful insights for those of us seeing this as an unfolding hellish nightmare in our lives? :lol: Just once in awhile, of course -- as I don't want to take away your fun of bashing us! :D What should responsible and kind individuals do to cope with this madness? What would YOU do? Or is the bashing all we can do... and at least it offers humor? I'm very thankful for humor.
Don’t believe everything you see and hear from the media, especially the self-loathing U.S. media.

Here’s a bit-o humour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFeS6CDp5vI
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Don’t believe everything you see and hear from the media, especially the self-loathing U.S. media.
I don't... which is why I didn't vote for Trump.
Walker wrote: Here’s a bit-o humour.
You're weird.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote:
Walker wrote: Don’t believe everything you see and hear from the media, especially the self-loathing U.S. media.
I don't... which is why I didn't vote for Trump.
Walker wrote: Here’s a bit-o humour.
You're weird.
Guy humour. You lack the imagination to get it.

Dutch is actually a good movie. One of the characters is an intelligent brat in military school, just like Trump was.
It's a coming of age story, as stories go.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Americans never seem to tire of making arses of themsleves.
Well we learned form the best, the Brit's.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lacewing wrote: as visions of Trump and those who are his rabidly hateful supporters are giving me nightmares.
Really? I haven't seen any reports on Trump supporters demonstrating and rioting and beating up Clinton supporters. Could you provide a link to the story?
Walker

Post by Walker »

This could be causing some of the angst.

High recognition awards from government to an individual should be for hard sciences, not the A&E channel of life.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/presi ... le/2608034

The effects of such misplaced attention upon entertainment and not verk trickle down to the aspirations of the youth, who then get into media and shape events into stories consistent with narratives, and when the ending doesn't work out in reality as expected, holy moley. What a commotion. All kinds of mythologies come into play with the answers.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote:
Lacewing wrote: as visions of Trump and those who are his rabidly hateful supporters are giving me nightmares.
Really? I haven't seen any...
Trump, alone, has been enough to give countless people restless nights. As for the worst of his supporters, are these examples good enough to qualify for rabidly hateful...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... pi/508379/
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ffiti.html
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Guy humour. You lack the imagination to get it.
No, it's just stupid.

Why do you feel the need to insult me because you're being stupid?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:I would probably be moving right now... as visions of Trump and those who are his rabidly hateful supporters are giving me nightmares
Oh, I forgot, you're afraid of your own shadow, aren't you.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:
Lacewing wrote:I would probably be moving right now... as visions of Trump and those who are his rabidly hateful supporters are giving me nightmares
Have you ever been capable of saying anything that WASN'T completely absurd? Like maybe a long time ago when you were a baby and hadn't learned how to talk? Don't answer now, because it will only be completely absurd.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote:
Dutch is actually a good movie. One of the characters is an intelligent brat in military school, just like Trump was.
It's a coming of age story, as stories go.
He's not an intelligent man. Don't confuse money and rat-cunning with intelligence.
He's also an extremely vindictive man. It will be interesting to see who comes into his line of fire.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Have you ever been capable of saying anything that WASN'T completely absurd? Like maybe a long time ago when you were a baby and hadn't learned how to talk? Don't answer now, because it will only be completely absurd.
Oh, I forgot, everything gives you nightmares, right?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:Oh, I forgot, everything gives you nightmares, right?
Usually just you.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Lacewing wrote:
Usually just you.
No, I come under the sweet dreams category.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

bobevenson wrote:
Lacewing wrote:
Usually just you.
No, I come under the sweet dreams category.
:lol: :lol: