Dementia now the biggest cause of death over taking Heart Disease

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Dementia now the biggest cause of death over taking Heart Disease

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

This is what they call 'progress'.

Dementia now the biggest cause of death over taking Heart Disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

It used to be that people would die of a heart attack. Quick clean relatively easy. Now people's personality, literally disappears slowly before the eyes of their family sometimes taking years, growing incontinent, confused, often angry, and forgetful even of their own loved ones, bereft of reason.
Greta

Re: Dementia now the biggest cause of death over taking Heart Disease

Post by Greta »

I believe there is some progress in understanding the causes and possible prevention of Alzheimers, but nothing yet ison the market as far as I know.

From what I've seen, the best time to go is often in one's 70s. Around "three score and ten" is still a gold standard lifespan as far as I can tell.

Everyone I've known who died in their 80s went through a long, hard slog to the end. Watching Dad's decline and death was shocking, especially being a spoiled and prissy little office worker at the time, usually found high in a plush office block or wallowing in a local cafe. Dad was reduced from a "force of nature" type to a ramshackle collection of impulses and habits. He was a teetotaller and anti-smoking sports fan who played tennis five times a week. My mother - a chainsmoker and chronic boozer - died of a stroke in her sleep one night, aged 72.

Dad did manage some very good years in his 70s that Mum missed out on, but his 80s largely, and increasingly, sucked.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:I believe there is some progress in understanding the causes and possible prevention of Alzheimers, but nothing yet ison the market as far as I know.

From what I've seen, the best time to go is often in one's 70s. Around "three score and ten" is still a gold standard lifespan as far as I can tell.

Everyone I've known who died in their 80s went through a long, hard slog to the end. Watching Dad's decline and death was shocking, especially being a spoiled and prissy little office worker at the time, usually found high in a plush office block or wallowing in a local cafe. Dad was reduced from a "force of nature" type to a ramshackle collection of impulses and habits. He was a teetotaller and anti-smoking sports fan who played tennis five times a week. My mother - a chainsmoker and chronic boozer - died of a stroke in her sleep one night, aged 72.

Dad did manage some very good years in his 70s that Mum missed out on, but his 80s largely, and increasingly, sucked.
Then there are those annoying over-hundreds who still do 20 push-ups a day, smile incessantly, and tell everyone it's all due to the 5 packets of cigarettes and three bottles of whisky they've downed every day since they were ten.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Then there are those annoying over-hundreds who still do 20 push-ups a day, smile incessantly, and tell everyone it's all due to the 5 packets of cigarettes and three bottles of whisky they've downed every day since they were ten.
They can have it. I don't think the world's changes in coming decades will suit me.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

According to this, the leading cause of death is heart disease (dementia doesn't even make the top ten):

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

PhilX

Update: To be fair about it, I've just found this report:

http://www.ibtimes.com/dementia-overtak ... th-2446035

It says dementia is the leading cause of death for Wales and England. Aside from that though, I have my doubts about this report as I've never heard before about dementia having such a high rate of being that deadly - compare it with the 2012 world report where dementia isn't listed in the top ten causes of death.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote:I believe there is some progress in understanding the causes and possible prevention of Alzheimers, but nothing yet ison the market as far as I know.

That's pretty out of date now.
All western countries averages are way above that, and once achieving 70 most can expect at least another 15 good years. Some of the most interesting people I know are over 80.

How did he feel about being over 80?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:According to this, the leading cause of death is heart disease (dementia doesn't even make the top ten):

PhilX

PhilX
Two things. These figures are out of date (2000 and 2012). And its; worth remembering that as awareness of chronic heart disease AND dementia have increased we have better cure and prevention of heart problems whose achievements will always be behind the numbers, as the benefits only show as people get older are cumulative. As for the greater awareness of dementia, many of the other basic causes of death, such as infection COPD, accident and even heart failure are secondary causes of the brain's growing failure to deal with problems, i.e. dementia is the cause of many of those deaths too.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:According to this, the leading cause of death is heart disease (dementia doesn't even make the top ten):

PhilX

PhilX
Two things. These figures are out of date (2000 and 2012). And its; worth remembering that as awareness of chronic heart disease AND dementia have increased we have better cure and prevention of heart problems whose achievements will always be behind the numbers, as the benefits only show as people get older are cumulative. As for the greater awareness of dementia, many of the other basic causes of death, such as infection COPD, accident and even heart failure are secondary causes of the brain's growing failure to deal with problems, i.e. dementia is the cause of many of those deaths too.
Very weak arguments which I don't buy. 2012 is within date. And you expect that things change that much in a five-year span? Also do you expect what goes on in England and Wales represents what's happening in rest of the world? And reinterpreting is just rewriting the facts to suit somebody.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX

PhilX
Very weak arguments which I don't buy. 2012 is within date. And you expect that things change that much in a five-year span? Also do you expect what goes on in England and Wales represents what's happening in rest of the world? And reinterpreting is just rewriting the facts to suit somebody.

PhilX
No, it's a very strong argument. You've not read it properly, as usual.
You are as usual making a fool of yourself.
Additionally...
The web page you linked was from WHO. Those figures are world wide, not western.
You've even linked another site that refutes yourself.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
Additionally...
The web page you linked was from WHO. Those figures are world wide, not western.
If you're talking about the site that lead to you making a fool of yourself, I can agree with that. The WHO site covers the entire world while that pipsqueak England - Wales website doesn't even cover 10% of the world. The rest of your response shows how desperate and irrational you are - you're even doing worse than Bob. You might as well wave the white flag because you've clearly lost another argument.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
Additionally...
If you're talking about the site that lead to you making a fool of yourself, I can agree with that. The WHO site covers the entire world while that pipsqueak England - Wales website doesn't even cover 10% of the world. The rest of your response shows how desperate and irrational you are - you're even doing worse than Bob. You might as well wave the white flag because you've clearly lost another argument.

PhilX
How could anyone tell if an American had dementia?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How could anyone tell if an American had dementia?
Haaahaahahaa!

I shouldn't laugh - we know old blighty has given Phil another inferiority complex - now that he knows how Great Britain is.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:This is what they call 'progress'.

Dementia now the biggest cause of death over taking Heart Disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

It used to be that people would die of a heart attack. Quick clean relatively easy. Now people's personality, literally disappears slowly before the eyes of their family sometimes taking years, growing incontinent, confused, often angry, and forgetful even of their own loved ones, bereft of reason.
Ya, one of my best friends has just lost her mother to it, another friends father is on the way.

All the extra electromagnetic fields radiating away perhaps? Any studies on that?
Philosophy Explorer

attofishpi wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:How could anyone tell if an American had dementia?
Haaahaahahaa!

I shouldn't laugh - we know old blighty has given Phil another inferiority complex - now that he knows how Great Britain is.
You and Hog Wild are reasons why you've given me a superiority complex.

I don't even need to ask VT if GB has dementia since her countryman insists it has and provided "proof" that it does. Oh VT, go ahead and try denying you're not a native of the UK. If that's true, then name your country or shut up since you love to try to put down the "Yanks", you phony baloney and you can kiss my ass.

PhilX
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Odd that it won't prevent a person from being elected president of a country.