Virtue-signalling tip

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 6993
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Walker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:37 pm

gaffo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:05 am
fk social media - its a virus that has ruined and "closed down" many a good forum, which the net used to host (now replaced with facefk/twits). i point a finger to the cheapass web hosters to! (all comments sections of The Press wedsites - off sourced (so free for them) - to facefk/twits.

I rem the net before facefuk, when we had 100's/1000's for forums (like this one - when will this one close to be hosted on facefk? - like the many others i used to be members of years ago), now the net is a wasteland of social media hosts (Twit/insta and facefuc).........made up of ego centric social justice virtue signalling asshats.


Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
No need to give up your stuff to virtue signal. The important thing is to demonize others who say they will not give up their stuff. Call them unwoke deniers, and you need not even specify what they deny. In the meantime you can keep your stuff. This proven template already exists in many applications.
true. sadly.
Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
For instance, climate virtue signalers need not actually do anything, need not actually give up their car-driving, plane-flying, energy-consuming lifestyles. To virtue signal they only need to use words to demonize those who say there is no need to give up these things.

yep ;-(

Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
For instance, Bernie Sanders need not actually live like the proletariat. To virtue signal, he need only assert that everyone must live like the proletariat, and then demonize those who say that's not necessary.
I know you are good character, so be nice to Bernie. He's older than the hills, and his political record has been then same since the 60's - a socialist. He is not a phony, nor a former Republican turned Socialist (and phony?) like Liz.

you may not agree with the guy's views/or hate socialism (I'm a liberal myself - not a socialist - but like Bernie because he is genuine - even if he have views i disagree with).

Same reason i like Ben Sasse (way more conservative than me - but honest and qenuine "believer" in his views).

I respect them both.

You should re-evaluate your views on Bernie Sir. (not about agreeing with him, about calling him out as a phony).

Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Virtue signaling is based on what one says, not on what one actually does.
yep, i guess we can all call Christian TV Evangalist Ted Haggard as a Virtue Signaler, spitting hate towards gays for 20 yrs..............all the while buggering men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep.

its known by a word: Hypocrisy.
How does a commie become a millionaire?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm

gaffo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:05 am
fk social media - its a virus that has ruined and "closed down" many a good forum, which the net used to host (now replaced with facefk/twits). i point a finger to the cheapass web hosters to! (all comments sections of The Press wedsites - off sourced (so free for them) - to facefk/twits.

I rem the net before facefuk, when we had 100's/1000's for forums (like this one - when will this one close to be hosted on facefk? - like the many others i used to be members of years ago), now the net is a wasteland of social media hosts (Twit/insta and facefuc).........made up of ego centric social justice virtue signalling asshats.


Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
No need to give up your stuff to virtue signal. The important thing is to demonize others who say they will not give up their stuff. Call them unwoke deniers, and you need not even specify what they deny. In the meantime you can keep your stuff. This proven template already exists in many applications.
true. sadly.
Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
For instance, climate virtue signalers need not actually do anything, need not actually give up their car-driving, plane-flying, energy-consuming lifestyles. To virtue signal they only need to use words to demonize those who say there is no need to give up these things.

yep ;-(

Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
For instance, Bernie Sanders need not actually live like the proletariat. To virtue signal, he need only assert that everyone must live like the proletariat, and then demonize those who say that's not necessary.
I know you are good character, so be nice to Bernie. He's older than the hills, and his political record has been then same since the 60's - a socialist. He is not a phony, nor a former Republican turned Socialist (and phony?) like Liz.

you may not agree with the guy's views/or hate socialism (I'm a liberal myself - not a socialist - but like Bernie because he is genuine - even if he have views i disagree with).

Same reason i like Ben Sasse (way more conservative than me - but honest and qenuine "believer" in his views).

I respect them both.

You should re-evaluate your views on Bernie Sir. (not about agreeing with him, about calling him out as a phony).

Walker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Virtue signaling is based on what one says, not on what one actually does.
yep, i guess we can all call Christian TV Evangalist Ted Haggard as a Virtue Signaler, spitting hate towards gays for 20 yrs..............all the while buggering men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep.

its known by a word: Hypocrisy.
Brilliant 'satire' of social media (but so close it barely qualifies as satire).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLc2E4P87QE

Walker
Posts: 6993
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Walker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:07 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Brilliant 'satire' of social media (but so close it barely qualifies as satire).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLc2E4P87QE
Have you ever felt the urge to accidentally slap a smart-phone out of someone's hand? I have.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3540
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by attofishpi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm

I do hope this is fake news...
Attachments
virtue_signalling.jpg
virtue_signalling.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 105 times

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:23 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm
I do hope this is fake news...
Okay, that might be virtue signalling.

But it's concerning that petty jealousy can be the motivation for objection here. What I mean is that there are two ways of reporting this:

1. Andrew Forest has donated ten million dollars to bushfire communities. (Yay) :D :D :D

2. Andrew Forest has only donated .14% of his income. (Boooo) :cry: :cry: :cry:

But why do we care what percentage of "good stuff" he's got, if he's handing away ten million dollars? Are we handing away anything? Was he ever obligated to hand over even one cent? Isn't it good that people are being helped? Why aren't we happy about that? And even if we think we would distribute our own income differently if we were Andrew Forest, what justifies our spiteful and greedy desire to fault him for his choice?

What keeps us from being happy that ten million dollars are going out to help the cause -- for free! :shock:

Why is social justice always much more concerned with who's getting more? It seems it runs on jealousy, not love. It looks at what others have got, and says, "Gimme: you owe me, merely because you have more than I do. And I have a right to hate you, or take it away from you."

We don't want to get caught up in being like that, do we?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm

He's a mining CEO ffs.
Now I do realise that you religous fuckturds don't give a shit about having a habitable planet because you think you will be going to fairyland anyway, but the rest of us prefer to live in the real world and to keep it that way.

Why do mega-rich white men always look the same? Piggy little greedy eyes imbedded in puffy, bloated faces....

Image

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm
He's a mining CEO ffs.
Which might be a bad thing, and might be a good thing -- we don't know. So I'm not defending him or judging him.

I'm talking about ourselves: about our attitude, our reactions, our own view of life.

Why do we focus on how much money the man has, instead of saying, "Oh, good...somebody's giving help to people who need it." Meanwhile, most of us are giving a lot less, or more likely, nothing? But somehow, we want to obsess over the fact that somebody has more money than we do, and we feel as though that entitles us hate him/her, to feel aggrieved, and to demand he/she give it up.

What makes us deserving of that?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm
He's a mining CEO ffs.
Which might be a bad thing, and might be a good thing -- we don't know. So I'm not defending him or judging him.

I'm talking about ourselves: about our attitude, our reactions, our own view of life.

Why do we focus on how much money the man has, instead of saying, "Oh, good...somebody's giving help to people who need it." Meanwhile, most of us are giving a lot less, or more likely, nothing? But somehow, we want to obsess over the fact that somebody has more money than we do, and we feel as though that entitles us hate him/her, to feel aggrieved, and to demand he/she give it up.

What makes us deserving of that?
Getting into the billions is pretty fucking ridiculous--it indicates that the person is a hoarder, obsessed with increasing their wealth for no purpose other than to feed their mental illness. Freeing these greedy mental-defectives from the burden of their obsession is doing them a favour.
I couldn't live with myself if I had that kind of money while there are so many with nothing, or children who need operations their parents can't afford. Either they are mentally ill or they are the biggest kunts imaginable. Take your pick.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3540
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by attofishpi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm
He's a mining CEO ffs.
Which might be a bad thing, and might be a good thing -- we don't know. So I'm not defending him or judging him.

I'm talking about ourselves: about our attitude, our reactions, our own view of life.

Why do we focus on how much money the man has, instead of saying, "Oh, good...somebody's giving help to people who need it." Meanwhile, most of us are giving a lot less, or more likely, nothing? But somehow, we want to obsess over the fact that somebody has more money than we do, and we feel as though that entitles us hate him/her, to feel aggrieved, and to demand he/she give it up.

What makes us deserving of that?
Sure. Why didn't this guy chuck his $2 in and make it anonymous. OR if he wants to build up the following for OZI donations by going public - fair enough - then make the amount ($2) discrete\hidden - NAH - he was bathing in glory as if he was a hero.

Like I said in a roundabout way, there is reason for going public about your contributions - to revel the rest of the money hoardering scum to also chuck in their equivalent $2 - ....this guy was on national TV like a hero - FFS.

The ONLY people that deserve praise are the blokes\lasses at the coal face.

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am
Getting into the billions is pretty fucking ridiculous--it indicates that the person is a hoarder, obsessed with increasing their wealth for no purpose other than to feed their mental illness. Freeing these greedy mental-defectives from the burden of their obsession is doing them a favour.

I couldn't live with myself if I had that kind of money while there are so many with nothing, or children who need operations their parents can't afford. Either they are mentally ill or they are the biggest kunts imaginable. Take your pick.
Maybe. And let all that be true: but does it justify our hatred?

Does it make us good people that we are full of spite and jealousy? And why aren't we even a little bit happy for the people who have received help from their giving? Why are we looking at the portion they have in hand, rather than the portion they gave away -- which after all, they were under no obligation to give?

When we look at them, we need to look in the mirror, too. What kind of people are we becoming? Are the emotions we are experiencing spite, rage, venom, greed, injury, contempt...and so on? And does that make us good people?

Do we not ourselves have enough, and more than most of the world? How much of our own income have we donated? If he is in the 1% in our country, are we not also in the 1% worldwide? (If we have an income of $32K American/annum, we are!) How is it that we've lost sight of our own blessings, and can think of nothing but the advantages held by others -- whether those advantages are legitimate or not?

And there is such a thing as being legitimately wealthy. I have known such people. I am not one of them. But they do not harm me, and it would only be a stroke against my character if their hard work and good results spawned in me nothing but envy, no? Is it not better simply to be glad for them, and to attend to my duty to be a better person myself?

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am
Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm
He's a mining CEO ffs.
Which might be a bad thing, and might be a good thing -- we don't know. So I'm not defending him or judging him.

I'm talking about ourselves: about our attitude, our reactions, our own view of life.

Why do we focus on how much money the man has, instead of saying, "Oh, good...somebody's giving help to people who need it." Meanwhile, most of us are giving a lot less, or more likely, nothing? But somehow, we want to obsess over the fact that somebody has more money than we do, and we feel as though that entitles us hate him/her, to feel aggrieved, and to demand he/she give it up.

What makes us deserving of that?
Sure. Why didn't this guy chuck his $2 in and make it anonymous.
A fair question. And I suggest he should have, perhaps. But this isn't about him. It's about us.

I would still be glad that $10 million is going to the needy. I think we should be glad of that in any case, even if the proceeds were coming from the Mafia or a robber baron. Were the foaming masses who pulled down the Romanovs really any better people than the Romanovs themselves?
The ONLY people that deserve praise are the blokes\lasses at the coal face.
Praise for what? For being needy? I hardly think that destitution valourizes anyone. Rather, I would suggest they deserve our personal sympathy and, if we can do it rightly, our practical support, don't you?

As for the praise the millionaire gets, I don't think it's much. If he thinks its anything, then that speaks only to the poverty of his own values. His gesture is not something that should inspire admiration, any more than it should inspire envy.

But we have to be careful of ourselves, that we do not react to what we perceive as his deficiencies by overlooking our own. People full of spite, hatred, greed, covetousness and resentment are not good people; and that's what social justice advocates want us to become. They want to gin up our hatred so as to make it useful to their redistribution plans. But make no mistake: behind all this is nothing but petty human greed. If they were good people, they would be focusing us instead on maximizing our own giving, and on encouraging -- not demanding -- that the more wealthy consider sharing more generously, perhaps.

But no more than that. Any more, and do not we ourselves become bad people?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am
Getting into the billions is pretty fucking ridiculous--it indicates that the person is a hoarder, obsessed with increasing their wealth for no purpose other than to feed their mental illness. Freeing these greedy mental-defectives from the burden of their obsession is doing them a favour.

I couldn't live with myself if I had that kind of money while there are so many with nothing, or children who need operations their parents can't afford. Either they are mentally ill or they are the biggest kunts imaginable. Take your pick.
Maybe. And let all that be true: but does it justify our hatred?

Does it make us good people that we are full of spite and jealousy? And why aren't we even a little bit happy for the people who have received help from their giving? Why are we looking at the portion they have in hand, rather than the portion they gave away -- which after all, they were under no obligation to give?

When we look at them, we need to look in the mirror, too. What kind of people are we becoming? Are the emotions we are experiencing spite, rage, venom, greed, injury, contempt...and so on? And does that make us good people?

Do we not ourselves have enough, and more than most of the world? How much of our own income have we donated? If he is in the 1% in our country, are we not also in the 1% worldwide? (If we have an income of $32K American/annum, we are!) How is it that we've lost sight of our own blessings, and can think of nothing but the advantages held by others -- whether those advantages are legitimate or not?

And there is such a thing as being legitimately wealthy. I have known such people. I am not one of them. But they do not harm me, and it would only be a stroke against my character if their hard work and good results spawned in me nothing but envy, no? Is it not better simply to be glad for them, and to attend to my duty to be a better person myself?
There's quite a difference between being wealthy in a normal way and being a multi billionaire. There's no point in having billions unless you do give most of it away, because it would be impossible to spend that amount just on yourself. As I said--they are hoarders. Giving the bulk of it away to those who made you mega-rich would be a good start. No one does it on their own. The only things that made them stand out are greed and the kind of brain that's good at business dealings.

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm
There's quite a difference between being wealthy in a normal way and being a multi billionaire.
It's all "scale," though.

I've stood in an open field in which 4 million people were trying to live on less than $1 a day. I saw how they live. I've entered their homes, partaken of their hospitality and felt the vast sea of human suffering washing up against my feet.

To them, I AM the billionaire. I'm certainly in the 1% of the world's population...but when I go home, I'm an ordinary guy with an ordinary income. I can forgive myself if I'm selfish, because I can see others around me likewise being selfish, and they are at my scale. But the truth is that I own lots of stuff I don't need. I eat better than most of the world ever will, and sleep securely at night. Should they hate me for that?

I've also been to Hollywood. I've stayed with friends who are millionaires. But among their peers, they're totally ordinary. Now, they worked hard for what they got, took risks I wouldn't have with their own futures, and they managed to win. It's never occurred to me for a second to be jealous of them, though they have far more than I do. Would it make me righteous or better than them if I were jealous? Would it make me good if I wanted them to give me their stuff, or worse -- started to hate them just because they had stuff I didn't?
There's no point in having billions unless you do give most of it away, because it would be impossible to spend that amount just on yourself. As I said--they are hoarders.
I don't know if I'd call Bill and Melinda Gates "hoarders." At one time, they were the world's richest people, but nowadays they seem preoccupied with giving it away. Now, I'm sure they still live much better than I do, but I know for a fact they've done a ton of good...much more than I can do with my very average income. Why would I hate them?
No one does it on their own.
The Gates did. Nobody strong-armed them into anything, so far as I know. Bill was sharp, and made money inventing and selling things people really, really wanted to buy. We're communicating on one right now, as a matter of fact. So he became very successful. And now he's being very kind.

But here we are focusing on them. What about us? What about you and me? How much have we given to the relief of the underprivileged? And what on earth could ever justify our hatred?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm
There's quite a difference between being wealthy in a normal way and being a multi billionaire.
It's all "scale," though.

I've stood in an open field in which 4 million people were trying to live on less than $1 a day. I saw how they live. I've entered their homes, partaken of their hospitality and felt the vast sea of human suffering washing up against my feet.

To them, I AM the billionaire. I'm certainly in the 1% of the world's population...but when I go home, I'm an ordinary guy with an ordinary income. I can forgive myself if I'm selfish, because I can see others around me likewise being selfish, and they are at my scale. But the truth is that I own lots of stuff I don't need. I eat better than most of the world ever will, and sleep securely at night. Should they hate me for that?

I've also been to Hollywood. I've stayed with friends who are millionaires. But among their peers, they're totally ordinary. Now, they worked hard for what they got, took risks I wouldn't have with their own futures, and they managed to win. It's never occurred to me for a second to be jealous of them, though they have far more than I do. Would it make me righteous or better than them if I were jealous? Would it make me good if I wanted them to give me their stuff, or worse -- started to hate them just because they had stuff I didn't?
There's no point in having billions unless you do give most of it away, because it would be impossible to spend that amount just on yourself. As I said--they are hoarders.
I don't know if I'd call Bill and Melinda Gates "hoarders." At one time, they were the world's richest people, but nowadays they seem preoccupied with giving it away. Now, I'm sure they still live much better than I do, but I know for a fact they've done a ton of good...much more than I can do with my very average income. Why would I hate them?
No one does it on their own.
The Gates did. Nobody strong-armed them into anything, so far as I know. Bill was sharp, and made money inventing and selling things people really, really wanted to buy. We're communicating on one right now, as a matter of fact. So he became very successful. And now he's being very kind.

But here we are focusing on them. What about us? What about you and me? How much have we given to the relief of the underprivileged? And what on earth could ever justify our hatred?
What you are waxing lyrical about has nothing to do with anything I've said. Gates is still a multi-billionaire. He also stole his ideas from IBM. I'm not going to get into a pointless non-argument about individual billionaires and what they do with a teensy (tax deductible) portion of it.
Who said anything about 'hate'? Or 'jealousy'? How conceited (and very American) to assume everyone sees great wealth as the be all and end all of existence and that everyone else is just 'jealous'. Pathetic.
Please spare me the 'good kristian' act.
4 million people is an awful lot of people to squeeze onto one field :?

User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Virtue-signalling tip

Post by Immanuel Can » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 pm
I'm not going to get into a pointless non-argument about individual billionaires and what they do with a teensy (tax deductible) portion of it.
You're too cynical on Gates. I think he's the real deal.

We started with an individual billionaire here; why shouldn't we continue in that vein? But let that be.

In point of fact, I'm less interested in the billionaires -- whether good or bad -- and more interested in the question of how we might be inclined to justify our own judgmental, greedy, resentful and hateful attitude to them. There's a lot of that going around today, particularly in the privileged West; and I think we need to think about what kind of people we are becoming, by letting jealousy rule. It has worrisome implications for our idea of justice, and historically, has been a great source of pogroms, purges and genocides.
4 million people is an awful lot of people to squeeze onto one field :?
It was an absolute sea of misery: the second-biggest barrio of displaced persons in the world, at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been even bigger since, particularly in East Africa.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest