Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Rick,
Have you had an issue on Process Philosophers? They were a curious bunch.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Indeed they were. The physicist Richard Feynman popped his head round the door of a philosophy lecture once. It was about A N Whitehead's philosophy. He did not go near philosophy again. Having said that, they do offer a fascinating example of a think-outside-the-box metaphysic.

Somewhere in it there is a deep truth, but I suspect it may be to the effect that attaching the label "real" to one level of conceptualisation and not to another, or (to pick up the specific process point) to a function and not to its derivative, or not to its integral, gets you in a mess. That would be reminiscent of the difficulty of interpreting quantum mechanics. At which point Mr Feynman should have said "hear, hear".
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

RachelAnn wrote:Rick,
Have you had an issue on Process Philosophers? They were a curious bunch.
That's a very good idea. I'll put it on the list of 'possible future issues' and start asking around.
Richard Baron wrote:Indeed they were. The physicist Richard Feynman popped his head round the door of a philosophy lecture once. It was about A N Whitehead's philosophy. He did not go near philosophy again.
Though apparently - to his amused exasperation - his son later became a philosopher.
Richard Baron wrote: Somewhere in it there is a deep truth, but I suspect it may be to the effect that attaching the label "real" to one level of conceptualisation and not to another, or (to pick up the specific process point) to a function and not to its derivative, or not to its integral, gets you in a mess. That would be reminiscent of the difficulty of interpreting quantum mechanics. At which point Mr Feynman should have said "hear, hear".
Sounds good to me. I think process philosophy is fascinating. Years ago I went to a conference where about 1/4 of the attendees were process philosophers, but I knew so little about Whitehead's ideas that I didn't get much out of it. I'd like to find out more.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

The Process Philosophers I have read are:
Samuel Alexander
Henri Bergson
John Dewey
Alfred N. Whitehead
Jack

Post by Jack »

RachelAnn wrote:The Process Philosophers I have read are:
Samuel Alexander
Henri Bergson
John Dewey
Alfred N. Whitehead

RachelAnn,

Could you speak to the thought of Henri Bergson and Alfred N. Whitehead

Jack
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Jack wrote:
RachelAnn,
Jack
I am new to philosophical scholarship and feel unable to contribute anything of value. Perhaps a more experienced scholar might do so?
Jack

Post by Jack »

RachelAnn wrote:Jack wrote:
RachelAnn,
Jack
I am new to philosophical scholarship and feel unable to contribute anything of value. Perhaps a more experienced scholar might do so?

Hi RachelAnn,

Don't feel like the lone ranger as I am pretty new myself. Thanks for your follow up.

Jack.
amateurphilosophynerd

proper shop bankingfaccilities

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

like paying on any Card Solo Mastercard Switch etc in all nations PN is brought and sold.
direct debit banking ditto so sub goes out without having to expend precious thought on it.

this would vastly improve PN's administration and subscription base, the more ways PN facciliatates different forms of payment, the more subs can go up. :D
amateurphilosophynerd

I agree

sally wrote:I really like the question of the month features, because it gives you something really good to think about, and then its fascinating to see how differently others respond to it.

Has there been an issue on eastern philosophy? I enjoy how it demands a different style of thinking, and an open mindedness for us westerners.
I agree I think us Westerners need opening up to far Eastern and Non-Western philosophies. this would be good for all of us (and more languages that need translating as academic presumes we are all multilingual linguists!!)
amateurphilosophynerd

please can we have RSS of posts

and multiple ways to share posts ie Facebook, Delicious and social sharing etc. this would multiply the impact of the forums deliciously.
Arising_uk

Re: please can we have RSS of posts

Post by Arising_uk »

amateurphilosophynerd wrote:and multiple ways to share posts ie Facebook, Delicious and social sharing etc. this would multiply the impact of the forums deliciously.
I'm interested apn,
what do you mean by RSS? Where and how would you use them and what content would you want exposed? What impact do you think it would have and amongst whom?
a_uk
amateurphilosophynerd

The ability to ban offending users by IP address. There are Forums out there that might need paying for it could help Forums run more smoothly.
amateurphilosophynerd

A more flexible forum so you can do more with PN There are a lot better clients out there. Something for the philosophers to mull over.
amateurphilosophynerd

being able to view threads on a PRINTABLE FORMAT single thread as the new york times. I don't want to save forums and get all sorts of junk on HDD text files put less on HDD for those times one has to save a thread for further perusal.
Jack

Matthew Pianalto's Essays

Post by Jack »

Hi Rick,

I know that you just recently published an essay by Matthew Pianalto in your Philosophy Now Magazine who I believe is a great thinker. I was wondering if sometime in the future would you consider publishing in your magazine the following excellent essay also by him which relates to Heidegger's philosophy.

What Do I Do Now?—Heidegger & Existential Anxiety
Matthew Pianalto
University of Arkansas
December 9, 2002
Introduction

http://comp.uark.edu/~mpianal/Heidegger_Angst.pdf

Jack

PS
I apologize for repeating this request. I just wanted to make sure you received it.