Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

puto

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by puto »

Is there a way to purchase online articles from old issues from the magazine? I don't don't frequent this suggestion box, so would you please put the response in general discussion?

I really don't need the printed magazine, just another thing to throw away when I die, as the libaries do not take periodicals, at least where I live, I have a stack of old issues, just not the articles I need for research, as you put it, so simple.

I would pay like twenty five cents, or less would be better, as to read an article.

"Someting is only worth what the purchaser will pay." Adam Smith.
puto

Post by puto »

Well, I guess that answer's my question. :shock:
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

puto wrote:Well, I guess that answer's my question. :shock:
Oops - sorry. Missed your question! No, we don't have a way to let people buy single articles from past issues online. Maybe we'll do this in the future. Processing a payment of 25 cents probably isn't practical. I've heard some mags will sell you a set of article credits(eg you can read ten articles for 2.50 or whatever. ) Not sure if this is a way to go but we'll think about it.
lediana

Post by lediana »

Thanks for your sharingThanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux credit auto - Taux crédit auto. Comparatif des
offres! Les meilleurs taux crédit auto sont sur le net !
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

how about a 'colin wilson' issue, dedicated to his ideas ?

I have been reading his latest book and it is really ace.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Consciousne ... 1906787093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

and how about this guy, Suelo, who is well educated, went to college i think for anthropology and considered being a doctor and much more then one day decided to leave all of it and money behind and live in a cave. (he was going to do it in india/but thought it would be more of a challenge/experience living as a 'sadhu' in america). He has then been living entirely without money for almost ten years.

I found this interesting article on yahoo about him (its actually 3 or 4 pages and i think it gets more interesting as it goes along, just letting you know incase you thought it was only 1 page)

and anotherinteresting site about him & related, moneyless in moab

and his actual blog that he writes at the public library

thanks
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

Thanks for posting that, looks interesting stuff.

Perhaps we could have an 'alternate ideas' pn issue ?
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

It is possible to have detailed biographical accounts of PN Editorial Board just so we know where they are coming from.
If someone espouses a particular viewpoint ie godless is cool it might be best to be a bit more upfront about it. ( I am on Richard Dawkins Forum and have a whole Research Project on the New Atheism which may extend to something called Atheist Methodology (?????!!!!) so I am being very distant from it and trying to make sense of it )
I would like to see stuff more comprehensive like key papers,books etc and key books as i consider the small paragraphs insufficient to give us a flavour beyond a general conjecture that 2 +2 may eqaul 4. Links to Departments and Institutions and affiliations could not go amiss.
Thanks in advance keeping as open and FREE and enquiring mind as possible :?: :!:
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm reading and digesting.
amateurphilosophynerd wrote:It is possible to have detailed biographical accounts of PN Editorial Board just so we know where they are coming from.
There is some very limited biographical info about us here:
http://philosophynow.org/about
amateurphilosophynerd wrote:If someone espouses a particular viewpoint ie godless is cool it might be best to be a bit more upfront about it. ( I am on Richard Dawkins Forum and have a whole Research Project on the New Atheism which may extend to something called Atheist Methodology (?????!!!!) so I am being very distant from it and trying to make sense of it )
We all try to edit to produce a good and varied magazine, and not to push our own viewpoints too much. The magazine is intended as a space in which people can present ideas, and we editors should mainly be holding the ring and trying to give all sides of the picture so far as that is possible. Philosophy Now certainly shouldn't be either a Christian magazine or a humanist one; or a utilitarian magazine or a Kantian one; or an analytic magazine or a continental one. We want to cover all of philosophy as fairly as possible. Fortunately the views of the editors - religiously and philosophically - are quite varied.
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

This is reassuring.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

colin wilson sometimes sounds nutty but his ideas are often sound, especially about serotonin

I think people are inside more these days than before the industrial revolution, this results in a lack of serotonin from sunlight and hence causes some depression issues.
RobbieVzamorA

Post by RobbieVzamorA »

Rick,

You have already done an issue devoted to Pop Culture and Philosophy, so why not make it a regular feature. There are plenty of titles coming out from Open Court and Wiley....some of which seem to be really stretching the premise too much in terms of philosophical thinking. And how about revisiting a theme because the issue sold more copies or has generated a lot of feedback. The reason behind the revisitation would be to keep interest in the theme going, perhaps generating a network of other sources.

Also, I would like to see more polemical issues being addressed. For instance, someone could submit an article on whether it is morally necessary to help the Haitians re-establish themselves as a developing nation or are they too far gone to develop into anything? Or, should harsher punishment be administered for white colour crimes? Or, is there anything metaphysical about modern science or medicine? Or, has ancient philosophy become prehistoric?
syntience

Paperless subscription option?

Post by syntience »

Is there a way to subscribe to get access to all online content for this year (including the current magazine) that doesn't require me to discard a magazine from my incoming physical mailbox? Paper is so 20th century; I haven't subscribed to a physical magazine in a decade. I'll take the responsibility to check your online content out every time the magazine has been published.

I don't even care if I get a break on the subscription price. As long as it doesn't become *more expensive*.

Could you add a "paperless subscription" box to the subscription form? Failing that, can I enter some well know dummy address in the fields of the recipient address or leave the address fields blank?

Automatic renewal on PayPal and/or Credit card would be nice too. You may already have it, I didn't check that closely.

- Monica
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Thanks for those suggestions. The paperless subscription one is something several people have asked for recently. Recurring billing for subscriptions is quite tricky to set up, though not impossible.

I'll discuss this with Bora (our webmaster) and report back.
Typist

Post by Typist »

RickLewis wrote: Recurring billing for subscriptions is quite tricky to set up, though not impossible.
I've done this via Paypal. Paypal's interface is not my favorite, but once you find the right page on their site, it's just a matter of following pretty basic directions.

Your webmaster should be able to handle it, if you decide to go that route.