Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amateurphilosophynerd

PHILOSOPHY AS YOURSELF using Montainnge as example ????!!!!

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

Wacky Idea: Why not do an issue on Montaigne and label issue Philosophy as Yourself*** I am sure you could generate some interesting philosophy and intriguing arguments.
Just concentrate on him, get philosophers lay and pro to plonk best brains on and voila. :shock: :) :twisted:
Last edited by amateurphilosophynerd on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: please can we have RSS of posts

Arising_uk wrote:
amateurphilosophynerd wrote:and multiple ways to share posts ie Facebook, Delicious and social sharing etc. this would multiply the impact of the forums deliciously.
I'm interested apn,
what do you mean by RSS? Where and how would you use them and what content would you want exposed? What impact do you think it would have and amongst whom?
a_uk
RSS feeds is Posts being 'fed' into your Desktop you could have general all posts PN or probably saner RSS feeds of the different threads. RSS is Atom or RSS. 2 an orange button you click to get posts on various subjects.
This means you can customise the net to your interests. For instance I can read loads of finance and business related posts at the FT and Robert Beston. RSS helps you focus in on particular topics or could be specific correspondence on PN. PN could cater for all instances quite easily by more sophisticated if neccessary paid Software which would pay dividends in enabling us all to be more specific and focussed in our reading of PN Forums.
We could do same on Magazine part of site tracking Epistomology on PN so you get themes or Metaphysics etc. (disclaimer APN is a a Philosophy newbie bar Govt Soc BA HOns 2.1 at essex and Economics Diploma matriculation at LSE External/the famed London University external system and that was 20 years ago.
Heaven knows what people make of my intellectual adventures on this Forum!!
I hope it is clear.
look on newspapers and you will see opportunities to grab RSS feeds everwhere. it might mean a more lively PN as a whole Forums and Magazine.
Stats could feed to Rick Lewis and Eds 90% on unknowns of epistomology
45% on metaphysics of giving birth etc.
Subject specific stats will enhance Rick and Eds 'reading' of both magazine and forum.
hope it was clear
:)
amateurphilosophynerd

Proper Shop Front with direct debit payments in any currency Paypal and all merchant faccilities secure.
Philosphy Now stickers to stick on flat, car etc.
Philosohy Now T Shirts Philosophy Now Promotions also use Youtube, Twitter, Social networking to extend reach of Philosophy Now. make it online as in Journals BUT have printed edition, subscribers have online edition, printed editions full access for issue brought to be absolutely fair.
secure password faccilities if you have to reset password a million times you get a unique password that cant be hacked like wordpress.
A Philosophy Now Youtube Channel is not impossible. I am sure that folks can put up videos and or Contributers to magazine can make videos etc.
Podcast informal symposia around lay community with anonymised academic community (with folks you know not if Professor PhD student to housewife etc a good idea is non identification).
I think PN needs to catch up with other magazine site technologies and use social networking to extend reach.
jetsetjason

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by jetsetjason »

a longer letters section and shorter letters, they are like mini articles :)
PhilosophicalPhil

Post by PhilosophicalPhil »

Hi Rick,
I know philofra has brought this up already (Hey philofra, we agree on something!!!) but I would love to see an issue on the built environment and how it effects the lives (& thinking) of those in it.
eg: The differences in the social dynamic in cities that have grown organically compared to those that were planned. (Sydney - Melbourne). The loose 'path of desire' planning compared to rigid planning & how people react to it. Why man builds monuments. The sort of dwellings that different philosophers have lived in. Chicken & egg - does architecture reflect or influence philosophy? From cave to air conditioned comfort - philosophy & buildings.

Phil.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Wouldn't it be more sensible to examine the sorts of structures, whether planned or not, that contribute to people's wellbeing?

I can't imagine that when people see a large imposing piece of concrete that was put there as part of organic process they think 'oo this is nice, cos of why it was put there'.
PhilosophicalPhil

eh?
I already get plenty of architecture magazines like that. How would that tie in with philosophy?

I'd prefer an examination of the Three Little Pigs, their choice of building materials and their different philosophical viewpoints to life, building and being eaten.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

The manner in which something develops doesn't matter philosophically. If we show that organic growth has tended to produce better structures then all this tells us is that directed growth needs to pay more heed to the results of its work. Do you think cars grow organically?

The actual structures and their impact on the human mind, though, these definately have philosophical significance. You're the one that mentioned the importance of 'how people react to it', which is quite right. Are philosophical conclusions influenced by our architectural surroundings? I would say certainly, or why else do they build big-ass imposing cathedrals?
PhilosophicalPhil

I think you've turned it around. But then that's fine.
The design of cars has certainly had it share of organic growth via inventors and as for the roads they travel on , many , particularly inner city ones grew organically from the 'path of desire' pre cars.
That in turn often framed the buildings between them and hence the lifes of those who lived there. Does a windy, wandering, eclectic style influence the imagination & spirit of its inhabitants? Maybe. Maybe not. But then there is a question right there.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: Suggestions Box Newsagents subs +full archive access yes

Newagents subscriptions to have full archive online access, after all you pay for it in the same way.
amateurphilosophynerd

Re: Suggestions Box GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS

Easy Gift Subs for those needing a little helping hand from their fellow philosophers.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I think you've turned it around. But then that's fine.
The design of cars has certainly had it share of organic growth via inventors and as for the roads they travel on , many , particularly inner city ones grew organically from the 'path of desire' pre cars.
That in turn often framed the buildings between them and hence the lifes of those who lived there. Does a windy, wandering, eclectic style influence the imagination & spirit of its inhabitants? Maybe. Maybe not. But then there is a question right there.
And I think that when something is upside down the best thing to do is turn it around.

There is no single system whereby a 'windy, wandering, eclectic style' is produced, it is an end product, a design, not a system of design.
amateurphilosophynerd

A Philosophy Now logoed Car? come to think of it that's a jolly good idea plus large electronic poster advertising, TV ad campaigns. Marketing and PR agencies etc etc.
amateurphilosophynerd

the philosophy of transport commuting and travel? plus stuff that goes with it ie laptops, coffee, suits, etc.
PhilosophicalPhil

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2493

I continued the thread on the 'built environment' over here