Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

amateurphilosophynerd

I would be seriously tempted to suggest the UNKNOWN

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

but aim to climb out of any boxes that happen to be lying around. Something that is nuanced , complex and subtle. How do you discern the unknown in philosophical terms, in what philosophical ways would you describe YOUR UNKNOWN and how that relates to the rest of Society.
Epistemology is implied ( I have a LOT to learn about Philosophy and a great journey to undertake to attach thoughts to books and then expand out of those books into thoughts). Maybe one would do periodic issues on this? Issues move on thinking moves on? My thoughts frighten me.
(Philosophy and also allied Disciplines are bloody emotional) Maybe the Issues are framed around long term langerous discussions and not just bop bop. This would suggest right mystery as well as knowledge-discussion history.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Sorry if it's intended APN, but I just thought I'd point out that all of your posts seem to start mid-sentence..
amateurphilosophynerd

Psychonaut read the Subject line

because the Subject line starts the sentence, the paragraph/s ennunciate my various ideas etc good bad and hopefully not ugly.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

:idea:
Now I see, thanks APN :)
amateurphilosophynerd

APN sounds like a Philosophical

Association of Philosophical Nerds
Amateur Philosophical Nerve Centre
Amateur Philosophy Nihilists
Amateur Philosophical Nerds any good official sounding Philosophical names for N??
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Association of Philosophical Noumena?
amateurphilosophynerd

What does nuomena mean?

??????????? thanks
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

plug for forum more, get everyone chatting and get some banner adverts here, to make cash, to advertise PN more

philosophy is the answer !
Jack

Post by Jack »

Rick'

Have you ever explored Heidegger's thought in your magazine?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Jack wrote:Rick'

Have you ever explored Heidegger's thought in your magazine?
Wow, that a good question. We certainly should have done. We certainly haven't done a 'theme issue' about him yet. I've just used the search function on the Philosophy Now website

http://philosophynow.org/search/search.php

to search for occurances of the word "Heidegger", and I got four pages of results. However, most of those look as if they were passing mentions in articles on other topics. In the last issue (Issue 65, which had an environmental philosophy theme) there was an article by Rich Grego in which he "compares John Dewey’s and Martin Heidegger’s views on ecology." We also had one in Issue 57 applying the idea of Dasein to the arts. But that's about it, at least recently. I'll ask Anja if she can write us something about Heidegger - she is teaching a course about him at the moment.
puto

Post by puto »

James DuBois Absurdity, God and the sad chimps we are. A+. and to find out he was from the 'show me state' was even more enlightening.
aloysius

Post by aloysius »

How about Joseph Cambell and his works on mythology. For that matter an issue or a few article on the philosophy of mythology would be interesting.
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Applied Memetic Engineering, perhaps?
Aetixintro

Suggestions Box

Post by Aetixintro »

Hi

Thanks for the magazine! Bringing philosophy to the people is a good deed!

There is one thought, however. I am considering a subscription to the Mind philosophy journal. How does Philosophy Now compare to the Mind journal, Rick? Can you answer this question, please?

Suggestions can be updates on the contemporary discussions of all the major areas of philosophy. Somehow I think that Philosophy Now is too short for the serious minded. I find the Wittgenstein issue useful as well as some other articles. I get a laugh from it every once a while. :wink:

The Mind journal is tempting with four or five serious contributions to discussion every issue, which is published quarterly, along with a bunch of reviews on serious literature of philosophy.

I think the Paranoia issue is a bit out of line. First, mental disease should not be the issue of philosophy! Second, I think the surveillance issue is very unbalanced in disfavor of victims who have been helped by the cameras and citizens who feel more safe in the city because of the cameras.

Edited: By the way, why don't you add a donation button in the shop. I feel you should have something extra for the fine forum you are upholding.

Alright, this is enough. To be short, I find that evolution has a future with PN. Thank you! A.
koyaanisqatsi

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by koyaanisqatsi »

Aetixintro wrote: There is one thought, however. I am considering a subscription to the Mind philosophy journal.
Get both. I've subscribed to both and been very glad I did. MIND is more dry...not specificially academic but lacking the vitality of PN. That said it's a damn good read and a lovely treat to find coming through your letterbox every once in a while.

You will not be dissapointed. Good articles by reasonably credible people, a decent length. Long enough to read in the toilet without looking ill.