How do i start my career in philosophy writing?

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hunter

How do i start my career in philosophy writing?

Post by Hunter »

Hi, all

I bit about myself. I have a degree in applied math from ucla. I know my degree is in math, but i always had a passion for philosophy. I even took 5 courses in upper division philosophy from ucla. I really want to write about philosophy, and get pay for it. I don ` t need to write anything original. I want to write on the works, conclusions of modern philosophical debates that is accessible to the average person. How can i start my career?
Monocrow

Re: How do i start my career in philosophy writing?

Post by Monocrow »

Philosophy differs from other subjects quite radically. Consider for a moment that mathematics is a logical subject with logical conclusions which as a mathematician you can always prove. If we ask a mathematician 'what is art' the same numerical values cease to exist. Thus what governs art as aesthetic becomes individual or indeed philosophical. Since there are to my knowledge no definitive works upon art a good place to start would be to read (though quite dated) "Ways of Seeing" by John Berger. Philosophy itself might be seen as the canvas upon which art might be considered and what you think is more important perhaps than the study of philosophers.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Hunter wrote:How can i start my career?
One path you can take immediately is to set up a website, and start writing. Google Adsense can be your income source.

To make a long story short, making this work involves BOTH writing lots of good content, AND getting lots of links to your articles.

Happy to discuss this further if it interests you.
stretmediq

Post by stretmediq »

Write your book now and worry about the rest later.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Well, according to the specifications provided by the original poster, it's not as easy as just write the book and worry about the rest later.
Hunter wrote:I really want to write about philosophy, and get pay for it.
If getting paid is an essential part of the equation, it would be wise to address that question from the start.
stretmediq

Post by stretmediq »

Actually it is just that easy. I speak from experience. I have been paid for things that I have written. If your foremost thought is a check, however, it will affect the quality of your writing. It's best to put first things first. Focus on your book and do your best. You have to have something to show a publisher or agent anyway. Lots of people have great ideas but not everyone can put them down on paper in a form that will sell. And publishers won't consider anything unless they have something tangible in their hands they can read. So write your book first and worry about the rest later.