Philosophy Now on Facebook

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Philosophy Now on Facebook

Post by RickLewis »

I've finally created a Philosophy Now page on Facebook. It is here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philosoph ... 262?ref=ts

There isn't very much there so far but I hope to develop it gradually. If any forumites like jetsetjason who actually understand Facebook have any suggestions about how to improve it, do please pitch in with ideas!
Psychonaut

Re: Philosophy Now on Facebook

Post by Psychonaut »

What next, Twitter?
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Rick : .....the plan is that from time to time I'll update this page with info about issues of Philosophy Now, plus snippets of philosophy-related news and links to any particularly juicy conversations on the Philosophy Now discussion forum. (http://forum.philosophynow.org). Plus anything else that occurs to me or my fellow conspirators from time to time.

M: Even with my abundance of curiosity, I have yet to succumb to Facebook or the Tweet thing. Not for me thanks.

Actually, my first reaction of ' Aaaaaaagggggghhhhhh no, not you too ? ' was quickly followed by a sneak- peek at the photos and friends of friends :-)
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

The vicariousness of modern life is in danger of so utterly swamping that which it reflects that it will be bereft of anything to imitate.

A television program that documents a person who sits on their couch all day watching that self-same program is only a decade away, at most.
spike

Post by spike »

Well, I think Facebook is a good alternative to this forum, which has gotten tired. Perhaps the paralleling of each other will goose things up, maybe.

Maybe on Facebook we will have an opportunity to talk to some of PN's authors about their articles.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Psychonaut wrote:What next, Twitter?
Probably! :mrgreen:

I can't totally see the point of Twitter, but it's where the people are. Not just a few - I mean vast, vast numbers in the many millions. As part of the point of Philosophy Now is to reach the widest possible public with good quality philosophy, how can we not go there? Same with Facebook. There are lots of intelligent, thoughtful people using both sites (for whatever reason) and if we can go there and reach some of them then that's got to be a good thing.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

spike wrote:Well, I think Facebook is a good alternative to this forum, which has gotten tired. Perhaps the paralleling of each other will goose things up, maybe.

Maybe on Facebook we will have an opportunity to talk to some of PN's authors about their articles.
I don't think Facebook will ever replace this forum - at least, that's not my intention in setting up the Facebook page. I still think that this sort of phpBB forum is much better organised for serious discussions. However, Facebook is good for announcements about the magazine and for some limited discussion (comments) about announcements.

Also, I thought I could sometimes post links on Facebook to interesting current discussions on this forum, which might bring new people here to participate. So like you say, I think running the two in parallel could give things a boost here.
Typist

Post by Typist »

RickLewis wrote:I can't totally see the point of Twitter...
A mystery here as well. I've been working online since before the first Netscape browser. Twitter, social networking in general, makes me feel like a "just don't get it" Internet newbie all over again. Which is educational.

As best I can tell, social networking is the online equivalent of offline cocktail party chit chat, where the energy exchange between people is more important than the actual content.

I love forums, which seem designed to facilitate topic focused conversations.

It makes sense really. Consider social life before the Net. Casual chit chat was very very common, and topic focused conversations were relatively rare. So, nothing has changed now that we've all moved online.
RickLewis wrote:...but it's where the people are. Not just a few - I mean vast, vast numbers in the many millions. As part of the point of Philosophy Now is to reach the widest possible public with good quality philosophy, how can we not go there? Same with Facebook.
Yea, that's the point, marketing, well said.

The challenge would seem to be, you can lead the horse to water, but can you make it drink? Boiling these topics down to 140 character chit chat chunks is a worthy writing challenge. Best of luck!
There are lots of intelligent, thoughtful people using both sites (for whatever reason) and if we can go there and reach some of them then that's got to be a good thing.
Yes, you are doing us a service by working to expand the membership here. Thanks for that.

Another challenge to consider perhaps.

Any of the people on Facebook/Twitter could have searched Google for "philosophy forum" at any time, and if they had, they'd already be here.

If you succeed in opening a new member stream from these social sites, you may find that these new members are, on average, more inclined to goofing around than serious dialog. If that's not what you want, then the moderation duties may also become more challenging.

Another alternative:

I see this site is #6 in Google results for the search term "philosophy forum". Which is good!

According to Yahoo SiteExplorer, http://forum.philosophynow.org has only 80 incoming links. If you can boost that link count, you might be able to get up in to the top three search results, which could possibly significantly increase traffic from folks who are actually searching for what you have to offer.

That is, thirsty horses that already want to drink.
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

spike wrote:Well, I think Facebook is a good alternative to this forum, which has gotten tired. Perhaps the paralleling of each other will goose things up, maybe.

Yeah, and maybe it will cook the goose.

Is there any reason why PN authors, or the like, can't talk about their articles on the PN forum ?
mhoraine

Post by mhoraine »

Oh yeah, and Typist - good points...well typed.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Typist wrote: According to Yahoo SiteExplorer, http://forum.philosophynow.org has only 80 incoming links. If you can boost that link count, you might be able to get up in to the top three search results, which could possibly significantly increase traffic from folks who are actually searching for what you have to offer.

That is, thirsty horses that already want to drink.
That makes sense. I'll give it a go!
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

The Philosophy Now page on Facebook now has a shorter and more memorable address:

http://www.facebook.com/PhilosophyNow

:)
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

RickLewis wrote:
Probably! :mrgreen:

I can't totally see the point of Twitter, but it's where the people are. Not just a few - I mean vast, vast numbers in the many millions. As part of the point of Philosophy Now is to reach the widest possible public with good quality philosophy, how can we not go there? Same with Facebook. There are lots of intelligent, thoughtful people using both sites (for whatever reason) and if we can go there and reach some of them then that's got to be a good thing.
it's advertising, you build up a following then mention a book on discount for 24 hours and hope you get sales
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Err, sorry (mumbles) :oops:

http://twitter.com/PhilosophyNow

On the plus side, as you can see I hardly ever tweet!
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

i went on twitter this evening and twittered a lot, but, i think, listening to jazz on lyric fm was more amusing, well, apart from reading the posts from 'black swan' man, interesting to see him stating the future from the past, when, he says, in his book, the past does not predict the future

:D