Colour transparency

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

paigetheoracle

Colour transparency

Post by paigetheoracle »

The need of whites to persecute blacks in America is based upon the need to justify their poor treatment of them throughout history. If they are seen as bad then the treatment they get, is seen as what they deserve. Look at the Jews in Europe and how the Nazis verbally vilified them to justify their later physical persecution of this group of people. It is the same as coloured people interpreting everything as being racially motivated because of years of persecution making them paranoid.

In America as recently as the nineteen twenties, three hundred coloured people were massacred in Tulsa, Oklahoma for setting up successful business’s in a part of town and this area was burnt to the ground. Things have thankfully moved on since then and black business’s have reclaimed the district once more. Martin Luther King looked forward to the day when people would be measured by the colour of their heart, not their skin and we should too because it then stops being a spectator sport of us versus them and instead becomes true, dispassionate justice.

Coloured people do well as athletes nowadays, making up about three quarters of their number in America. Sports people used to be white but does that mean to balance things out, someone like me should be included even though I can't run, just because I am white? Positive discrimination can lead to the danger of resentment from the imbalance and a backlash because of it. Tokenism doesn’t really work because of this psychological factor. What we need are people who can do the job, not be picked for appearance but ability. For instance I would rather have Michelle Obama as president, not Donald Trump because I would want someone sensible with their finger on the destruct button. Again would you want a surgeon operating on you whose colour you approved of as opposed to someone who knew what they were doing?

It isn’t the blacks who suffered injustice alone. I watched two historical TV programs about cases where blatantly innocent people were convicted of murder and the guilty didn’t even end up in court. In one case a pimp passing a house was accused only because of this fact. The nephew of the murdered woman was recognised coming out of her residence by two witnesses who knew him, just before her dying body was found. Why wasn’t he even questioned over this? Because he was a personal friend of the judge in question. When the innocent man was condemned to death, the public marched on the streets and the sentence commuted to something like life in prison.

The second case was equally brutal and again involved a poor working woman, who was visiting a servant friend, when the elderly owner of the house walked in and attacked her with a knife, coming back later to finish the job. Again she was condemned to death as she continually changed her story (perjury only). Once again the Glasgow public marched on the street and her sentence was reduced to a prison term.

With regards to this violent reaction to a cartoon of Mohammad and the concept of not worshipping idols, it should be remembered that in some primitive cultures the same belief exists as it is believed to capture the soul and trap it in time – hence the wish not to be photographed by outsiders (see anthropological studies). If God is infinite, how can you limit their existence to a carved image or picture? Let the punishment fit the crime as Gilbert and Sullivan put it, and would a true, loving God or any of his prophets wish harm to others? Surely they would be seen as children by an eternal and Supreme Being.

How can you protect God? The idea of it implies God is less than you, not greater than you. Mob rule is suppression by the weak, not courage by the individual. If you kill or persecute someone, you are attacking that which your God made and therefore are attacking the deity itself.

Religion that preaches greed and hate, is not religion but politics: physical revolution, not spiritual evolution; division of bodies, not unity of souls.. True religion is spiritual and includes, not excludes. It is without the prejudice that drives the fear filled, insane with violent hate. It does not destroy but reaches out and creates bonds.
Asad Shah, the Glasgow shopkeeper demonstrated that self-same trust in others by staying true to his Ahmadiyya faith by showing love to others of all religions or none becoming a martyr. As Gandhi said, if you want peace you must be peace. Cowards need to justify their actions, by blaming others and claiming to be victims themselves. The courageous just get on with living their lives – proudly being an example to others by simply being themselves. Some hide behind religion or politics as criminals hide behind the law (and the just stand proudly in front of it).

The American Paradigm Schools showed in The John Paul Jones Middle School that they took over, through their application of The Alternatives to Violence Project and taking down metal detectors and window bars, that violence could be reduced by 90%, simply through trust, student empowerment and anger management. Americas jails are full of prisoners because the government doesn’t trust its citizens and these citizens are armed because they don't trust each other or themselves.

As for those trying to make out that not being able to pronounce someone’s name means you are racist as a female Nigerian poet claimed on BBC Two in a program on poetry recitation recently, that too is nonsense. Thandie Newton wants people to remember her Zulu name for instance. Fine is it is written down but if you don’t know the rhythm of the language, pronouncing it is problematic. Even though Thandie is not based on English, it follows the spelling rules of English which makes it easy to say. Her Zulu name is a sentence just as American Indian’s names are. Perhaps she should use the English version of her name’s meaning or just change her name to ‘comfort’ as I shorten my name from Anthony to Tony.

Cholmondeley for instance threw me for years because it is Norman French, not Anglo-Saxon and it took me years to connect the pronunciation of the name with Chumleigh its equivalent. I find Gaelic names or French spelling equally perplexing for the same reason but have no problem with Chinese or Indian unless they are written in Hindi, Urdu or Chinese characters. Spell names how you like but remember every language has its own pronunciation and spelling rules (this is linguistics in other words, not race), which throw every foreign speaker who is not aware of these rules. Monty Python had a sketch called ‘It’s The Arts,’ which lambasted all this ego stuff years ago, taking the mickey out of German etc. long-winded names and in this case ‘Johann Gambolputty etc. etc etc.’