Issue 74 - Ways of Knowing.

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Issue 74 - Ways of Knowing.

Post by RickLewis »

The new issue of Philosophy Now is up on the website! It has a theme of "ways of knowing", with articles on subjects including analytic versus continental philosophy; hermeneutics; Feyerabend and philosophy of science; and why Zen Buddhism isn't keen on explanations.

http://philosophynow.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It only went online 48 hours ago and already one item in it has been reported by several Canadian newspapers. This is the interview with Professor Charles Taylor, and in particular his unflattering comments about the atheist bus poster campaign.

Here is the interview:

http://philosophynow.org/issue74/74taylor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is some of the media coverage:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Athei ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
puto

Re: Issue 74 - Ways of Knowing.

Post by puto »

This is exactly why I bought a subscription to the magazine, and it just arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
duszek

Post by duszek »

I liked Mr. Taylor´s idea of studying philosophy on one´s own.
You could for example read the excellent Routledge Philosophy Guidebooks and then discuss what you have understood with other people on a forum like this one.
The authors of these Guidebooks are kind of contributing to the hapiness of mankind, aren´t they ? A little bit.
And the magazine "Philosophy Now" too, of course, but it does not present an introduction to a whole philosphical work, only some inspiration in general.

Psychonaut could write one more Routledge Philosophy Guidebook. He has lots of free time and looks for some occupation.
Skinhead

Post by Skinhead »

I enjoyed Kile Jones' article "Analytic vs Continental Philosophy" - it is a helpful overview of Philosophy over the past century or so, and explained the evolution of the two traditions clearly. As I didn't have a formal education in philosophy, I hadn't appreciated this.

I was, however, mystified by Kevin Robson's "The Bells". Was there some deep meaning or symbolism or was it just an amusing story?
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

I intend to buy 'Ways of Knowing' as it is about epistomology plus the Continental versus Analytic scratches where I itch.
I haven't read it yet so I don't know what I am letting myself in for. But as soon as I get the money I will buy from the Campus where I normally purchase copies.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Skinhead wrote: I was, however, mystified by Kevin Robson's "The Bells". Was there some deep meaning or symbolism or was it just an amusing story?
We're still debating that very question in the editorial office, too. If we ever reach a conclusion I'll let you know!

Glad you liked the Analytic vs Continental article.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

You can never be sure about anything, but you can know that, karl popper is da man !
Rachel A

Post by Rachel A »

Karl Popper. The man. 'Nuff said.
amateurphilosophynerd

Rick, I like the idea of Scholars such as Richard Rorty and others who are trying to bridge the divide between the two divisions. I am also aware of Chritchley and Shroader making a staunch defence for a less adversarial position in their Companion ? to Continental Philosophy. That kind of article to my way of thinking might not go amiss either, particularly as some drasticallly life affecting traditions such as Psychology tend to rely on one tradition to the exclusion of the other and our continental cousins especially those dealing with transcendance are excluded from their discourse.(based on amateur surfing of academic web and grabbing whatever I can get my naughty little mits on !!!!!).
It is my opinion that this all contributes to the epistomological debate hence my attempt to read beyond Continental AND Continental AND branch out into the brave new world of Analytic Philosophy with all those unknown and unpopularised names.
amateurphilosophynerd

I like the title 'Ways of Knowing' as despite of what I have heard but not read of Popper and his Falsification Hypothesis I do believe there is a genuine need of epistomology, with 'knowledge' it's unspoken monikor; but one rather needs to be on it's frontiers, to paraphrase you Academics, then it's Blue Skies and Curiosity driven enquiry with openness firing on all cylinders. (and I can think of instances where an epistomological approach is jolly handy and base my 'research' on discovering such things and keeping my little mind free to think and to roam about these questions).
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

amateur, indeed, you would like reading 'the black swan' book, he points out that a lot of inventions come about by chance and the way we are easily fooled, by the success bias and narrative fallacy :)
amateurphilosophynerd

I will put it on my list as that sounds like a very interesting argument. :)
puto

Post by puto »

The Golden Rule Not So Golden Anymore Stepen Anderson.

Was a very good article.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I disagree, and I may voice my criticisms later today ;)