The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:42 am

.



With the explosion of the internet human beings have been assaulted with all media in every corner of our lives.

This sudden access to ALL written knowledge has, almost strangely, made most media worthless.

To the point where it is almost a privilege to be momentarily away from all of it.


Thus the end of the hard copy.

Including the hard copy of The PhilosophyNow Magazine.

Individuals need not pay for a hard copy of anything ESPECIALLY rehashed dead philosophers dead insights from a time when limited knowledge was the dejour.

The fact that we are bombarded with print & image media throughout our day has brought us to the FACT that access to ALL media makes 99% of ALL that media worthless.

Which has brought on the FACT that 99% of ALL hard copy media is no longer able to pay it's contributors anything.

ANYTHING worth while that is...Sometimes they throw a meaningless bone of a free subscription to the hard copy, which again, is worthless.

The bankruptcy feeds upon itself to the point where even most forums and blogs have gone the way of hard copy for lack of even the basic of audiences.

99% of Traditional Publishing Houses HAVE BEEN DEVASTATED.


NO ONE who is not already an established name can even hope to be published in the traditional way.

It's over.


Over to the point where even the largest of blogs & forums do not and cannot pay even a modicum to their contributors and moderators.

Again, which this feeds upon itself invoking bankrupt contributors and shitty moderators...Which again feeds the swirling cesspool of growing worthless content – which invokes - subscribers who are less willing to pay for content – which invokes – more shitty, worthless, rehashed content – which invokes more & MORE worthless content.

STOP the hard copy. Stop it TODAY.


Focus upon the failing viewership of the Philosophy Now Forums.

Open your doors. You got this fucked-up idea that if you squeeze your asshole even tighter you will somehow obtain GOOD content – and your brand PhilosophyNow will grow. Not going to happen.


STOP PhilosophyNow hard copy.


OPEN your doors upon the internet.


Be open to new ideas.


Perhaps even the phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group no longer serves you well.



GET WITH the fuckin times.


Encourage philosophy NOW. As in REAL time. REAL philosophy – NOW.




............................................................
Image






.

RickLewis
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by RickLewis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Some of what you say is correct, though some folks are also saying that the shift to electronic media is beginning to slow down now. Philosophy Now is doing okay, anyway, and the circulation of our print edition has been rising steadily for several years.

For those people who still like to read, there is certainly an astonishing amount of free stuff on the internet. However, it is like being bathed in white noise. In principle, everything you might want to hear is there somewhere in that noise. However, it is useless without well constructed filters.

User avatar
NielsBohr
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by NielsBohr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi,

I don't understand the first post. It says as the magazine had to become electronically, and in the same time, the poster says that the accessibility of knowleges make them worthless.

I understand the second post, taking the second purpose of the first post, in the fact that we can find our way only in a background sound.

-I went here, because I am interested in the paper edition of the magazine.

And so, I would ask:
Is the paper version enhanced in comparison of the free edition ?

My second question is obviously if the electronic version is necessarily free, or is there an equivalent to the paper version (but I'll see the other topic for the second question).

Thank you.

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 pm

.




..............................................
Image



Hope you're sitting down...hate to be the one to break this to you but, if you came here because you were interested in the paper edition, this is actually electronic. It's called, The Internet. Welcome.


I actually am not surprised that you ended-up here.

More and MORE people are turning to the internet. Most by choice, some like you; by accident.


I made the original post here in this thread to formally announce the death throes of the paper edition - of ANYTHING but especially the death knell of the paper edition of The PhilosophyNow Magazine.



I didn't want to push the issue or to steal Rick's thunder but...well, lemmie put it this way...don't get too attached to the paper edition. That is - IF you are ever able to actually FIND the paper edition of The PhilosophyNow Magazine.



Look, STAY RIGHT HERE. You have stumbled upon the GREATEST philosophy site that has EVER EXISTED in the history of mankind; The PhilosophyNow Forums !



By the way, welcome!



Bookmark this page!




.

User avatar
NielsBohr
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by NielsBohr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Thank you Mister Bill Wiltrack,

for your answer,
and for your welcome.

Okay, I did not understand if your post was really announcing the end of the paper version, or if it was a request... I understand better (i think).

-Pretty crazy your video of a library rat. Lol!

What is its behavior in front of a computer - do you have the same video in this case ? :lol:

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:44 pm

.




Thank you for openly enjoying the GIF.



Thank you for spurring me on !




I don't have one of the dog but...


I do have a GIF of me in front of my computer:
...........................Image






.

RickLewis
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by RickLewis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:55 pm

NielsBohr wrote:
-I went here, because I am interested in the paper edition of the magazine.

And so, I would ask:
Is the paper version enhanced in comparison of the free edition ?
Thanks for your interest and sorry for my slow reply. I have been away.

In answer to your question, the paper edition has exactly the same content as the website edition which is here:

http://philosophynow.org

However, the website edition is not free. About 1/3 of the articles in each issue are free for anybody to read, but the rest can only be read by subscribers.

As well as the website edition, we also have editions of Philosophy Now for the iPad/iPhone, for Kindle, for Nook and for Zinio. Details are here:

http://philosophynow.org/digital

I hope this helps.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 2857
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: right here

Post by henry quirk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Paper is not going anywhere.

It's too friggin' convenient.

Until e-versions of anything (more accurately: till e-readers) become as low maintenance and convenient as sheets of paper, paper is here to stay.

I can buy PN in the bookstore and use/abuse its physicality as I like. I can take it anywhere, read it, then kill roaches with it, then throw it against the wall, then let it sit out and get rained on and -- later -- I can pick it up again and read some more (by sun [or candle] light, if need be).

Paper requires little to no care, no batteries, and the investment in paper is low (compared to even the most cut rate e-reader).

User avatar
NielsBohr
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:04 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by NielsBohr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:38 pm

RickLewis wrote:
NielsBohr wrote:
-I went here, because I am interested in the paper edition of the magazine.

And so, I would ask:
Is the paper version enhanced in comparison of the free edition ?
Thanks for your interest and sorry for my slow reply. I have been away.

In answer to your question, the paper edition has exactly the same content as the website edition which is here:

http://philosophynow.org

However, the website edition is not free. About 1/3 of the articles in each issue are free for anybody to read, but the rest can only be read by subscribers.

As well as the website edition, we also have editions of Philosophy Now for the iPad/iPhone, for Kindle, for Nook and for Zinio. Details are here:

http://philosophynow.org/digital

I hope this helps.
Thanks !

Impenitent
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Impenitent » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:42 pm

I buy hard copies every other month or so from a local news-stand

-Imp

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4203
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:03 pm

RickLewis wrote:
NielsBohr wrote:
-I went here, because I am interested in the paper edition of the magazine.

And so, I would ask:
Is the paper version enhanced in comparison of the free edition ?
Thanks for your interest and sorry for my slow reply. I have been away.

In answer to your question, the paper edition has exactly the same content as the website edition which is here:

http://philosophynow.org

However, the website edition is not free. About 1/3 of the articles in each issue are free for anybody to read, but the rest can only be read by subscribers.

As well as the website edition, we also have editions of Philosophy Now for the iPad/iPhone, for Kindle, for Nook and for Zinio. Details are here:

http://philosophynow.org/digital

I hope this helps.
Nothing for Kobo?

RickLewis
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by RickLewis » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Dalek Prime wrote: Nothing for Kobo?
We're looking at that at the moment. Do you use a Kobo?

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4203
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 am

RickLewis wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Nothing for Kobo?
We're looking at that at the moment. Do you use a Kobo?
I hope there are enough users of Kobo to make it worth your while, Rick. Yes, I do use the latest Kobo; Kobo Aura H2O. It's a very nice reader, Canadian made, which is rare these days. I try to support local if the product is worthwhile. I heard that the Kindle won't let people borrow electronically from our libraries, so I'm a little wary of it, though Amazon.ca does sell it.

One thing I'd like to see, if at all posible, is a secure epub version of the magazine. The nice thing about epub is, the text can be resized, and the page adjusts to it. Not so with pdf. Much easier as eyes get older, if you get my drift. Given the choice between an epub and pdf book, I'll always choose to purchase the epub version.

Anyways, appreciate the response. I would subscribe if it was available. I think it only fair that I help support a forum that would have me as a member. :lol:

RickLewis
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by RickLewis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it to Bora, our Digital Editor.

We don't know how many users Kobo has. It has some profile in the UK because Kobo has partnered with W.H.Smiths, Britain's biggest chain of newsagents.

I don't know anything about epub, but I expect Bora knows.

User avatar
Bill Wiltrack
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: The End of the Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine

Post by Bill Wiltrack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am

.






.......
The Hard Copy PhilosophyNow Magazine is DONE. Stick a fork in it...





.....................................
Image









Here Rick...take my hand. Together let's walk into the future, into the digital age.

There IS no more hard copy -
OF ANYTHING!








.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest