Reality-in-FSR vs Reality-in-Itself

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Reality-in-FSR vs Reality-in-Itself

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:08 pm The claim that what we call reality is an illusion depends on two assumptions:
1. that there is a real reality - reality-in-itself - that's not an illusion; and
2. that 'we' are being fooled by the illusion.
But then, 'we' must also be an illusion, being fooled by an illusion. So these assumptions undercut themselves.

And what we actually do and say belies them anyway. For example, if all is illusion, including all facts, why bother arguing about the existence of moral facts?
There is no reality-in-itself or your 'real reality' [1]- that is the mother of all illusions.
Your [2] is moot since 1 is already an illusion.

I had argued,
what are truths, facts, real and knowledge are conditioned to a specific Framework and System of Reality [FSR],
of which the scientific FSR is the most reliable and credible; such beliefs must be reinforced with critical and rational philosophical reasonings to prevent Scientism.
So what we have here is 'reality-in-FSR' that is really real and not an illusion.

'Reality-in-FSR' is the objective reality, i.e. independent of individual opinions and beliefs.

Since 'Reality-in-FSR' is really real and not an illusion,
then, your 'reality-in-itself' is otherwise, thus not real and so is an illusion. [as argued by Kant, the thing-in-itself is an illusion].
Your facts are indeed 'fact-in-itself' which are ultimately illusion because they are mere words and lack grounding to reality i.e. 'Reality-in-FSR'.

The most real 'Reality-in-FSR' or 'facts-in-FSR' leads to moral_facts-in-Moral_FSR.
Note reality-in-FSR includes reality-in-Human_FSR, i.e. reality is always entangled with the human conditions.

Your whole mess started with the very unrealistic Assumption 1, [of Metaphysical Realism]
"that there is a real reality - reality-in-itself - that's not an illusion".

Views? Does the above make sense?