The Limits of Argument

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

The Limits of Argument

Post by commonsense »

Have you ever been frustrated by the stubbornness of some forum member who won’t listen to reason?

I recommend that you take a peak at The Limits of Argument in the Articles in Philosophy Now section.

Or access it here:

https://philosophynow.org/issues/142/Th ... f_Argument

You’ll find that Howard Darmstadter asks why rational debate doesn’t often change minds.

If you are pressed for time or just too impatient to read more than a few paragraphs, begin reading with the last subheading, Taking the Long View.

You’re welcome.
Dontaskme

Re: The Limits of Argument

Post by Dontaskme »

commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:44 am

You’ll find that Howard Darmstadter asks why rational debate doesn’t often change minds.

Why would it change minds?

If a debate is just for argument sake, then that's all you'll get, the debate will always present itself as being an argument about arguing.

You can only change your own mind ( not other (plural) minds.

For example: I've changed my mind about many philosophical points and ideas, I'm always changing my mind about how I perceive the nature of reality.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Let's agree to disagree.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Rational debate doesn't often change minds because people don't often have a valid epistemology, if any at all.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

The point is that when you are being nutty no one can share their thoughts with you.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

commonsense wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm The point is that when you are being nutty no one can share their thoughts with you.
if philosophy doesn't make you smile, you're doing it wrong...

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm The point is that when you are being nutty no one can share their thoughts with you.
if philosophy doesn't make you smile, you're doing it wrong...

-Imp

The above does not apply to your many witticisms.

:)
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 am
commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:44 am

If a debate is just for argument sake, then that's all you'll get, the debate will always present itself as being an argument about arguing.

For example: I've changed my mind about many philosophical points and ideas, I'm always changing my mind about how I perceive the nature of reality.
yea but how can you change your mind to, if you haven't been exposed to that which you would change your mind to.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=DPMartin post_id=497224 time=1613670283 user_id=13848]
[quote=Dontaskme post_id=496137 time=1613285802 user_id=12017]
[quote=commonsense post_id=496107 time=1613259873 user_id=14610]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yea but how can you change your mind to, if you haven't been exposed to that which you would change your mind to.
[/quote]

Why would you be open to changing your mind if you had reasonably solid epistemological warrant in the first place? To be open to evidence you haven't vetted yet is a different thing than being broadly open-minded to changing your mind. The rules are different when you've found truth. Opening your mind to change when you're already right is to eliminate the purpose of finding knowledge.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Seek first to understand... then to be understood.
~ S. Covey