the majority of experts agree...

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the majority of experts agree...

Post by Advocate »

The majority tends to be right on questions of fact, i am told, by those who ignore that there will always be an expert who already had the answer and an expert that can add subtlety to the answer the other expert knows. The problem lies in our understanding of expertise, the solution does not lie in probing the world for answers to questions that have already been studied.
henry quirk

Re: the majority of experts agree...

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm The majority tends to be right on questions of fact, i am told, by those who ignore that there will always be an expert who already had the answer and an expert that can add subtlety to the answer the other expert knows. The problem lies in our understanding of expertise, the solution does not lie in probing the world for answers to questions that have already been studied.
*sigh*

no body here sez experts ought to be ignored

where you've been challenged is in your assertion experts ought to be in charge

we ought consult them, not defer or submit to them
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=488955 time=1610296130 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=488945 time=1610293374 user_id=15238]
The majority tends to be right on questions of fact, i am told, by those who ignore that there will always be an expert who already had the answer and an expert that can add subtlety to the answer the other expert knows. The problem lies in our understanding of expertise, the solution does not lie in probing the world for answers to questions that have already been studied.
[/quote]

*sigh*

[/quote]

My point is about how modern society is so epistemologically confused that they ignore expertise entirely in favor of populism.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:51 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:28 pm
Advocate wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm The majority tends to be right on questions of fact, i am told, by those who ignore that there will always be an expert who already had the answer and an expert that can add subtlety to the answer the other expert knows. The problem lies in our understanding of expertise, the solution does not lie in probing the world for answers to questions that have already been studied.
*sigh*

My point is about how modern society is so epistemologically confused that they ignore expertise entirely in favor of populism.
nah...it's all more complicated

plenty of folks defer to medical professionals and end up, for example, addicted to painkillers, while others do well

other folks keep their own counsel and do well while others end up in bad places

too many gradations to be as simplistic as you portray things

you're offerin' up the sitcom/tv drama, fits inside a neat lil box, version of things...sorta like sayin' based on real events which is to say not true
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=488980 time=1610306651 user_id=472]
[quote=Advocate post_id=488960 time=1610297489 user_id=15238]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=488955 time=1610296130 user_id=472]

*sigh*

[/quote]

[/quote]

nah...it's all more complicated

plenty of folks defer to medical professionals and end up, for example, addicted to painkillers, while others do well

other folks keep their own counsel and do well while others end up in bad places

too many gradations to be as simplistic as you portray things

you're offerin' up the sitcom/tv drama, fits inside a neat lil box, version of things...sorta like sayin' [i]based on real events[/i] which is to say [i]not true[/i]
[/quote]

Those doctors are also vetted primarily by popular opinion.