What does it feel like to be Enlightened?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hermit Philosopher

Re: What does it feel like to be Enlightened?

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

odysseus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote
When I became enlightened, it felt like this
Then there is that extraordinary next step whereby one literally leaves the world.

Goodness @odysseus!

I’m so confused right now :shock:
Did I write this?!
Dear me... where?
I tried clicking on the quotation but it’s not linked.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:37 pm
Hermit Philosopher wrote
Then there is that extraordinary next step whereby one literally leaves the world.

Goodness @odysseus!

Did I write this?!
Dear me... where?
You know damn well you didn't write it, why act like an absolute dumbo about it ?
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

Oh, now I see what’s happened!

odysseus: you accidentally quoted Dontaskme as if they were I :D

I thought I was going mad there for a minute - haha!

No worries, all good.

Humbly
Hermit

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:37 pm
Heermit Philosopher wrote

Goodness @odysseus!

Did I write this?!
Dear me... where?
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Hermit Philosopher wrote
Oh, now I see what’s happened!

odysseus: you accidentally quoted Dontaskme as if they were I :D

I thought I was going mad there for a minute - haha!

No worries, all good.

Humbly
Hermit
I did do that, didn't I. Apologies. But then, it did give you pause.....that silence where expectation sits there, unconsummated, and the world sits there, waiting for Godot. Here, one's attention becomes unfixed (unhinged?). I have a theory about this: suffering does just this: it puts an end to the dull repetition of one's affairs and the spontaneous reproduction of all that is learned by rote and recollection, and causes one to pull out and question! The question: the "piety of thought" (a borrowed phrase).

Philosophy suspends the common assimilated knowing of the world. What happens when one pulls out?
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Walker wrote
Really? I’d say thick as a brick and dim as the dark side of the moon to not incorporate human brutality into the equation of being.
To me, all it takes is one. We could have a billion blissful children waking up in heaven every day for eternity, and just that one struggling in misery, and the whole damn apple cart turns over.

But, and this is place where thought needs to sit and wonder, is there a way to "redeem" a world like this? Ethical nihilism is the worst that could be, for the only thing worse than terrible suffering is terrible suffering for nothing, unredeemed.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Dontaskme wrote
I've been there, but discovered it wasn't enough, I had another awakening, it was a total shocker.. it was to realise that something can be done here rather than just keep turning a blind eye to what's really going on, we have the knowledge to do the sensible thing, we have the capacity to think very seriously about the possible reality that there really is an escape hatch out of this mess.

The higher insight for me, is to put an end to the pointless senselessness of sentient life. That's the only positive for this negative reckless agressive, parasitic, canabalistic dog eat dog struggle for life. Life is a fail, it's a very bad experiment gone horrifically wrong. Evolution screwed up big time.

The only intelligence in the universe is the human primate, the onus is on us to end this insanely expensive stupidity.
Nah! You go too far. Lots of people have a great time in life, and sail out on a golden parachute of pain relieving narcotics.

But that about the one suffering: in the midst of many gleefully dancing through life, to wake up and see the importance of the one takes moral insight and compassion and empathy to realize. It takes an evolved moral being to see how important this is. We are not stones to be counted, not potatoes in sacks, but each one is this whole, sensitive, thinking, interiority, a stage of human dramatic affairs. How important is one? Say you've been declared a witch to be burned at the stake. Tomorrow morning. How "important" is this? This is what the "one" is.

I think this is too important to go batshit nihilist. There must be a redemptive dimension to our "being here".
Lacewing

Re: What does it feel like to be Enlighten

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm This natural universe is a sadist evil blood thirsty killing machine. Totally pointless and meaningless.
That's one way of seeing it.

In this Universe/life/experience of vast possibilities... as potential is explored and played out on a stage, perhaps?... the glorious and the horrific...

How could there be only one way of seeing anything?

Why would anyone see in only one way?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Batshit nihilism answers that question.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

odysseus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:10 pm
Dontaskme wrote
I've been there, but discovered it wasn't enough, I had another awakening, it was a total shocker.. it was to realise that something can be done here rather than just keep turning a blind eye to what's really going on, we have the knowledge to do the sensible thing, we have the capacity to think very seriously about the possible reality that there really is an escape hatch out of this mess.

The higher insight for me, is to put an end to the pointless senselessness of sentient life. That's the only positive for this negative reckless agressive, parasitic, canabalistic dog eat dog struggle for life. Life is a fail, it's a very bad experiment gone horrifically wrong. Evolution screwed up big time.

The only intelligence in the universe is the human primate, the onus is on us to end this insanely expensive stupidity.
Nah! You go too far. Lots of people have a great time in life, and sail out on a golden parachute of pain relieving narcotics.

But that about the one suffering: in the midst of many gleefully dancing through life, to wake up and see the importance of the one takes moral insight and compassion and empathy to realize. It takes an evolved moral being to see how important this is. We are not stones to be counted, not potatoes in sacks, but each one is this whole, sensitive, thinking, interiority, a stage of human dramatic affairs. How important is one? Say you've been declared a witch to be burned at the stake. Tomorrow morning. How "important" is this? This is what the "one" is.

I think this is too important to go batshit nihilist. There must be a redemptive dimension to our "being here".
I do like and admire your enthusiasm :D

I'm in no way a nihilist though, I'm just a realist.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:23 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm This natural universe is a sadist evil blood thirsty killing machine. Totally pointless and meaningless.
That's one way of seeing it.

In this Universe/life/experience of vast possibilities... as potential is explored and played out on a stage, perhaps?... the glorious and the horrific...

How could there be only one way of seeing anything?

Why would anyone see in only one way?
I can see it many ways, some positive - some negative.

I just happen to have no taste to ever play this game ever again. But I guess I'm only here once anyway, so it doesn't matter too much, for there's nothing I can do about it. The brain creates I. I never created the brain.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:12 pm I'm in no way a nihilist though, I'm just a realist.
Isn't that just what a nihilist would say? :lol:

Or just about anyone, for that matter, describing the way they see things?

What is "real" for a "realist"?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 pm I just happen to have no taste to ever play this game ever again.
Might there be another way to see, through which you would enjoy and appreciate the game?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 pm

What is "real" for a "realist"?
I'm not going to reveal too much, for fear of offending the pink balloon chasers.

I like you Lacewing, I've always liked you. . that's all I have to say right now.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 pm I just happen to have no taste to ever play this game ever again.
Might there be another way to see, through which you would enjoy and appreciate the game?
No not really, I've been closing my eyes for too long, being in denial.

But then I stumbled upon another way of seeing ...and I am intelligent enough to know that most people are not ready to hear the shocking reality I have recently stumbled upon. This forum I have now discovered is not the right place to reveal it. I have been attempting an experiment here over the last few days...but it's going down like a lead balloon. So I'm going to leave it now.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:25 pm Might there be another way to see, through which you would enjoy and appreciate the game?
No not really, I've been closing my eyes for too long, being in denial.
Denial of what? Is there a singular conclusion/reality/truth?
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:33 pm But then I stumbled upon another way of seeing ...and I am intelligent enough to know that most people are not ready to hear the shocking reality I have recently stumbled upon.
Well, two things: #1 - A lot of people on this forum say such a thing. :) #2 - I want to hear your shocking reality in case any of it rings true for me.
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:33 pmThis forum I have now discovered is not the right place to reveal it.
I understand. This forum is less about exploring ideas with genuine and open curiosity and logic, and more about arguing against the lies and nonsense of delusional whackjobs and toxic assholes.

I need to take breaks from it at times too. When it's not fun, it's just stupid.