The Pandemic is over?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

The Pandemic is over?

Post by Walker »

So says a guy sitting in a garage, next to a motorcycle.

Is he right, or wrong?

How do you know?
When will you know?

"Pandemic is Over" - Former Pfizer Chief Science Officer Says "Second Wave" Faked On False-Positive COVID Tests
https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/pande ... to+zero%29
henry quirk

Re: The Pandemic is over?

Post by henry quirk »

the beer virus pandemic is real

what's not real is the coronapocalypse

see here...
84683515-F631-4EAA-BFAA-D2A75D0E2F95.jpeg
84683515-F631-4EAA-BFAA-D2A75D0E2F95.jpeg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
we've been, are bein', hoodwinked
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:55 am the beer virus pandemic is real

what's not real is the coronapocalypse

see here...

84683515-F631-4EAA-BFAA-D2A75D0E2F95.jpeg

we've been, are bein', hoodwinked
Not 'hoodwinked', but emotionally blackmailed. Told that we all had to protect the 'old and vulnerable', and anyone who questioned this was greeted with wails of 'Wah wah, you are trying to murder my granny..'.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you are trying to murder my granny

what you oughta say: if I wanted that hag dead, she'd be six feet under right now

works best when you got the crazy eyes
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The world we dream and hope for :arrow: (Expectation) :arrow: Image

What we actually get :arrow: ( Reality ) :arrow: Image
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:11 am Image

The world we dream and hope for :arrow: (Expectation) :arrow: Image

What we actually get :arrow: ( Reality ) :arrow: Image
A bit dramatic...
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:28 am Not 'hoodwinked', but emotionally blackmailed. Told that we all had to protect the 'old and vulnerable', and anyone who questioned this was greeted with wails of 'Wah wah, you are trying to murder my granny..'.
The governor of New York didn't get that memo. There was no trying. They did a Yoda ... No try, just do.

The wails were, "Wah wah, you murdered my granny, you murdered my mother, you murdered my father, you murdered my wife, my old grandpa, my husband ..."

He be the punisher.

Epistemology, how do we know what we know?

To determine that, what has been is a more reliable reference than what we imagine will be.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

There never was a pandemic, it was only a series of epidemics occurring at the same time in different places.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Do you want glib or sensible?
Walker

Post by Walker »

DanDare wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:49 am Do you want glib or sensible?
You must be in customer service, which I hear is the oldest profession.

The subject line is a place to find what you must write.

In my personal opinion, if you begin like Socrates then you don't have much to say.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Walker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:05 am
DanDare wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:49 am Do you want glib or sensible?
You must be in customer service, which I hear is the oldest profession.

The subject line is a place to find what you must write.

In my personal opinion, if you begin like Socrates then you don't have much to say.
Discourse requires clarification. Without it there is no communication.

Looking at the answers so far, glib seems to be the tone. However, let's assume that that is not what is desired, since you don't feel the need to distinguish.

The impact of the pandemic can be partially seen by comparing actual deaths this year compared to expected deaths based on previous years. There are many countries where that information is not accurately provided but enough countries where it is. Based on those figures alone some countries are on an accelerating death rate. The United States for instance. Some up ticks in deaths can be seen in states correlating with a maxing out of the health system's capacity in those states.

Deaths are not the only impact, as the virus also produces chronic health problems in survivors who went through critical response to the infection.

Additionally, infection rates are being measured. Again some countries have poor records but again there are enough countries with good resources and habits for recording infection rates. These figures for those countries show that we have, taking into account the two week lag between infection and critical time for the infected, reduced the death impact by better treatment. Fewer figures are available for a change in chronic aftermath.

Of the other facts we have teased out by research we are fairly sure that the bodies immune response in most people is limited to about 18 months after the last challenge, and this will be true even with vaccines.

Given all that information and looking at the reliable data, countries like Australia have the pandemic beaten locally but are still under threat at their borders and remain vigilant. Countries like the United States are on a massive upswing of acceleration and their hospital resources are beginning to fail and heading for pandemic induced catastrophe.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
At the time of writing - daily new infections just over 170k, daily new deaths just under 2k on seven day rolling average.

Posted back on the 19th of November: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/ ... 9/12899108

Figures on Excess Mortality during the pandemic: https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Immunization data from Europe: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/ ... -responses
Overall, with the current transmission patterns it is unlikely that population immunity levels reached by winter 2020-2021 will be sufficient for indirect protection.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

If you want a detailed fact check of the specific article then here is one:

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/ ... n-the-u-k/
CLAIM
“the pandemic is fundamentally over in the U.K.”; “We now know that loads of people had prior immunity [...] I believe we are now firmly at community immunity.”; “Viruses don’t do waves.”
VERDICT inaccurate
DETAILS
Inaccurate: Between September and early November 2020, there was a spike in the number of daily new confirmed COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in the U.K, and this trend will likely persist for some time. The claim that “the pandemic is fundamentally over in the U.K.” is false. Furthermore, viral illnesses like the seasonal flu occur in waves, contrary to the claim that “viruses don’t do waves.”
Unsupported: There is no scientific evidence supporting the claim that many people have preexisting immunity to COVID-19, nor is there evidence indicating that herd immunity has been achieved in the U.K.
More at the article
Walker

Post by Walker »

Unsupported: There is no scientific evidence supporting the claim that many people have preexisting immunity to COVID-19, nor is there evidence indicating that herd immunity has been achieved in the U.K.
The scientist in the OP disagrees.

Will pandemic lock downs and mask wearing ever end, and when?
Discourse requires clarification. Without it there is no communication.
I think if you stick around you'll find there sometimes is no communication with discourse.

When you read without discoursing, the writer is communicating with you.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:26 amWhen you read without discoursing, the writer is communicating with you.
I disagree. A writer may tell you much, but if you don't try to comprehend, or respond with what it is you have comprehended, then there is no communication. If you mean that communication can be one way, yes it may be but that is not relevant on a discussion forum. You are just obfuscating issues.
DanDare

Post by DanDare »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:26 am
The scientist in the OP disagrees.
The scientist in the OP does not provide effective support for his disagreement.