Disciples of Truth

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Disciples of Truth

Post by Advocate »

I am a Disciple of Truth, which means a serious concentration on knowledge and understanding as my first priority, as a prerequisite for any other worthy cause. I invite you to join me. It is a self-selected title for anyone who legitimately values Truth. If you have a firm grasp of epistemology, join me in extending and evangelizing Truth wherever you may go.

The symbols are a monk's robe which you make yourself, a samurai bowl which you use for most of your eating, and a utility dagger.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Disciples of Truth

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I presume you meant 'truth' not "Truth" with a capital "T".

But being a disciple of truth could lead you into being the disciple of truths which are laden with evil.
As such you need to bring in Morality and Ethics, i.e. it is preferable to be a disciple of justified true moral beliefs.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Veritas Aequitas" post_id=478759 time=1604642690 user_id=7896]
I presume you meant 'truth' not "Truth" with a capital "T".

But being a disciple of truth could lead you into being the disciple of truths which are laden with evil.
As such you need to bring in Morality and Ethics, i.e. it is preferable to be a disciple of justified true moral beliefs.
[/quote]

I mean Truth to the extent it can be known, but more importantly the value of it as a prerequisite for all good things explicitly. The Truth about ethics is to understand, account, and balance the three contingencies, as far as i can tell; salience, perspective, and priority. When they are fully accounted for, full solutions are possible.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

necessary maxims

Necessity trumps.
All words have meaning.
All experiences are real, but not all experiences are of something real in an externally verifiable sense.
Learning knows no rank.
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.
Philosophy is not one of many options, but the sovereign of the lesser sciences and the servant of Truth.
Truth at any cost reduces the cost of everything.
What is not seen is as if it was not.
A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
All languages are descriptive.
All paths that value truth lead to Truth.
An idea which is not acceptable at it's logical extreme is not logical.
Analytic statements are also synthetic. ("All bachelors are single." means "The way the word bachelor is commonly used means someone who is single." If you change the definition to include people with bachelor's degrees - different result.)
At the bottom of things there are only two questions: How do things work?, and What do we want?
At the scale of national economies, the numbers used are basically imaginary.
cogito ergo sum
Knowledge is justified belief. Truth is knowledge that remains justified.
incremental progress/compount interest and momentum are laws that apply to both the physical and metaphorical realms
Words such as infinity and perfection cross the boundary of transcendence and therefore can only be placeholders for the ineffable.
Epistemology is about knowledge and knowledge is about justified certainty. Replicability is the path to justified certainty, outside as science and inside as logic.
Is just is. There is only one reality, but infinite perspectives on it at infinite scales.
Religious contentions are not merely unsupported, they are unsupportable - they are incompatible with our most certain ideas such as measurement and statistical probability.
science = rigor (or the body of knowledge so attained)
Statistical probability is a measure of the lower limit of uncertainty, not certainty.
Statistics is not a measure of what we know to be possible but what we expect to be probable.
The foundation of all knowledge is replicability.
The search for Truth is the process of closing one's mind.
The Truth wishes to be tested, not just to be believed.
There is a findable answer to each philosophical question.
There are no lessons of history, only tendencies. (History does not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes.)
There are only two ways of knowing - logical necessity and empirical probability.
There is no fallacy of newness. New ideas tend to account for issues unforseen in older ones and therefore approach correctness.
There is no woo. (untestable forces contended to have real physical effects)
Two people's version of truth are not equal any more than your nose is equal to your eyes.
Universal Taxonomy = consilience + graphical representation
You should not believe something just because it's true.
You're not right unless you know why you're right.
Actionable certainty is the purpose of all knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.

practical application
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
To men above the common we can talk of higher things; to men below the common we must not talk of higher things.
Truth does not do as much good in the world as the appearance of it does evil.
To be the slave of your impressions is not far from being the slave of your passions.
The fewer words you need to explain, the likelier you are believed.
The greatest fault of perceptiveness is not that it falls short of the truth, but that it goes past it.
Some kinds of disguised falseness imitate truth so well that it would be a misjudgement not to be deceived by them.
The people may be made to follow, we cannot make them understand.
There is no greatness where there is not simplicity.
Things pass for what they seem, not for what they are.
The most expert doctors of the soul pay great attention to the means of sweetening the pill of truth. For when it deals with the destroying of illusion it is the quintessence of bitterness.
A failure to understand transcendence/emergence (different levels of understanding - water molecules aren't wet) seems to be at the bottom of many philosophers' missteps.
Education, like justice, like careers, must be individualised.
Occam's Razor applies to all human knowledge. The simpler explanation is always more actionable, not necessarily more correct.
Physicists' work is descriptive and only as good as it is useful.
Refutation based on denegration is non-actionable. Refutation based on contention includes specific points related to the topic which can be refuted or clarified as appropriate.
Wisdom comes from perspective, which comes from experience.
Philosophical answers are metaphors which organize our intuition and provide actionable directives.
Understanding is translating reality into smaller and simpler patterns.
Things should be made as simple as possible but no simpler.
belief = salience
Some people you can teach, others you have to train.
Answers in philosophy aren't those ideas most well vetted by academics, with the greatest approval rating, or in line with current morality - they're necessarily true as the best metaphors for our experience of our place in the universe.
The deepest wisdom may sound mundane because after it is illuminated it becomes obvious.
The real problem with isms is that they're used so differently from one person or situation to the next that they tend to totally obscure the ideals they supposedly represent.
The reason most people are wrong is that they don't understand why. They claim rightness on the basis of feelings more than thoughts, despite that feelings are infinitely malleable and have no necessary correlation with reality.
There are two kinds of people who claim to be right - those who are wrong and don't believe it and those who are right and know it.
Things which are semantically true at one level can be semantically false at another.
To ask whether something is true or right or good is to ask by what standard of certainty can it be believed?
Useful is a different dimension than true.
You never have self-knowledge (justified belief), you have some depth of self-understanding which is self-justifying.