Epistemology, Propositions

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Epistemology, Propositions

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm No doubt, but where do you draw that inference from?
Gut feel.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Thank you for the advice, but I can draw my own conclusions.
Oh you can? Then determine my "beliefs" empirically. Why do you keep asking me questions?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Ah well, this is where you and I disagree. Call me old fashioned, but there are many ideas that we know are not true, Newton's law of universal gravitation springs to mind, but it's still useful.
Call me even more old-fashioned then. All models are wrong - some are useful. To call any scientific model "true" is a misnomer.

Or as Christians say "None of you are righteous, none! Not one". But lets not stretch the interpretation too far. Least you get triggered.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Right, and the mistake you are making is that you believe you are the only person contributing to this forum who understands that.
And the mistake you are making is that you believe I believe that.

Perhaps I am simply more committed to remaining in-character while playing the dumb philosophical games?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm You compound that cock-up by getting into silly arguments with people who fully appreciate what you mean, but with whom you are apparently compelled to disagree, even when they agree with you, because some of us know you are not nearly as smart as you can't bear not to be.
I never said I was smart, but if you think so... who am I to stop you?

My game is avoiding stupidity, I'll let others seek "brilliance". Whatever that is.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm And there ya go. You have never seen me be triggered by 'naughtiness'.
I've seen you triggered by "everyone is a sinner". I believe you called it something like a "despicable idea"? Maybe you aren't smart enough to interpret it as "nobody is perfect"? Or maybe you are, and you were just choosing your words for your audience? How you say it... getting into silly arguments with people.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Well, in the current context, I suppose a reasonable description of me would be 'occasionally giving a fuck what you think, to see if you are still a total twat.' I can see some movement there, which is encouraging, but there's still a way to go.
I know you said you can draw your own conclusions, but here's a tip anyway. Ponder on "What's different?" whenever I am not a twat to any of my interlocutors. You might even find some answers in game theory...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Funny you should say that. Have I mentioned the books and articles I have written?
You have, actually. Is there a "donate" link where I can disable the adverts?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pmNo doubt, but where do you draw that inference from?
Gut feel.
Fair enough.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Thank you for the advice, but I can draw my own conclusions.
Oh you can? Then determine my "beliefs" empirically. Why do you keep asking me questions?
To determine your "beliefs" empirically.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Ah well, this is where you and I disagree. Call me old fashioned, but there are many ideas that we know are not true, Newton's law of universal gravitation springs to mind, but it's still useful.
Call me even more old-fashioned then. All models are wrong - some are useful. To call any scientific model "true" is a misnomer.
That's not how underdetermination works. We cannot infer that "All models are wrong", we simply don't know if any of the ones not demonstrably false are actually false.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pmOr as Christians say "None of you are righteous, none! Not one". But lets not stretch the interpretation too far. Least you get triggered.
What's the worst that could happen?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm Right, and the mistake you are making is that you believe you are the only person contributing to this forum who understands that.
And the mistake you are making is that you believe I believe that.
Gut feel.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pmPerhaps I am simply more committed to remaining in-character while playing the dumb philosophical games?
Congratulations for playing dumb with such commitment.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm You compound that cock-up by getting into silly arguments with people who fully appreciate what you mean, but with whom you are apparently compelled to disagree, even when they agree with you, because some of us know you are not nearly as smart as you can't bear not to be.
I never said I was smart, but if you think so... who am I to stop you?
I didn't actually say I think you are smart.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pmMy game is avoiding stupidity, I'll let others seek "brilliance". Whatever that is.
Why the quotation marks around "brilliance"? I haven't used the word.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm And there ya go. You have never seen me be triggered by 'naughtiness'.
I've seen you triggered by "everyone is a sinner". I believe you called it something like a "despicable idea"?
Yep, in my view it is a despicable idea.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pmMaybe you aren't smart enough to interpret it as "nobody is perfect"?
Bit off topic, but yeah, maybe. I don't have a problem with anyone who interprets the torah, bible, koran or any holy book you care to mention in such a way, so...
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pmOr maybe you are, and you were just choosing your words for your audience? How you say it... getting into silly arguments with people.
...I don't get into silly arguments with them.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:17 pm
I know you said you can draw your own conclusions, but here's a tip anyway. Ponder on "What's different?" whenever I am not a twat to any of my interlocutors. You might even find some answers in game theory...
And here's my tip for you: be a twat less frequently and who knows? Maybe your interlocutors will show you some respect and learn something.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:48 pm You have, actually. Is there a "donate" link where I can disable the adverts?
Nah, just buy the book.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm To determine your "beliefs" empirically.
If beliefs are behaviour you aren't going to learn much about with language, you are much better off asking my wife.

My perspective has blind-spots.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm That's not how underdetermination works. We cannot infer that "All models are wrong", we simply don't know if any of the ones not demonstrably false are actually false.
We can infer it.

That's the literal, mathematical definition of a model. Projecting a domain (our concepts) onto the subset of the co-domain (reality).

That's why scientific theories have "domains of applicability" e.g contextual - none of them are universal.

We project GR onto phenomena at large scale.
We project QFT onto phenomena at small scale.

Recent papers on superdeterminism (which brings us right back to computer science's Oracle Machine; or God - depending on your view) cover this very problem. We also know that Mathematics can't be consistent AND complete, so for as long as we are using Mathematics to describe reality our theories will forever be inconsistent OR incomplete.

Choose one.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm What's the worst that could happen?
A pointless argument with people who agree with you?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm Congratulations for playing dumb with such commitment.
Congratulations on entertaining it.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm I didn't actually say I think you are smart.
You are using the word... According to you use is meaning?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm Why the quotation marks around "brilliance"? I haven't used the word.
It's the notation I use to distinguish between use and mention.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm Yep, in my view it is a despicable idea.
Even if it's just another way of saying "Nobody is perfect"?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm Bit off topic, but yeah, maybe. I don't have a problem with anyone who interprets the torah, bible, koran or any holy book you care to mention in such a way, so...
So which interpretations of "everyone is a sinner" do you consider despicable?
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm ...I don't get into silly arguments with them.
You sure have a habit of punching up at IC and Nick_A.....
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm And here's my tip for you: be a twat less frequently and who knows? Maybe your interlocutors will show you some respect and learn something.
That is sage advice! If you practiced it more - I would be less of a twat ;)
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm Nah, just buy the book.
Would you like a proof-of-purchase?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmIf beliefs are behaviour you aren't going to learn much about with language, you are much better off asking my wife.
My guess is she wouldn't thank you for involving her.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmMy perspective has blind-spots.
Whaddya know? Maybe we do have something in common.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pmThat's not how underdetermination works. We cannot infer that "All models are wrong", we simply don't know if any of the ones not demonstrably false are actually false.
We can infer it.
Yeah, but we can't demonstrate it.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmThat's the literal, mathematical definition of a model. Projecting a domain (our concepts) onto the subset of the co-domain (reality).
That'll be the reality we don't understand.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmThat's why scientific theories have "domains of applicability" e.g contextual - none of them are universal.
We don't know that until it is demonstrated. It doesn't follow from the fact that we don't know a theory is true, that it isn't true.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmWe project GR onto phenomena at large scale.
We project QFT onto phenomena at small scale.
Because we don't yet have a model that can do both. Although I grant that even if we did, it would be underdetermined.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmRecent papers on superdeterminism (which brings us right back to computer science's Oracle Machine; or God - depending on your view) cover this very problem.
If those are the only options, I'll go for Oracle Machine.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmWe also know that Mathematics can't be consistent AND complete, so for as long as we are using Mathematics to describe reality our theories will forever be inconsistent OR incomplete.

Choose one.
Or don't rely on mathematical models to "describe reality".
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pmWhat's the worst that could happen?
A pointless argument with people who agree with you?
So why do it?
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm You are using the word... According to you use is meaning?
Yeah, but I didn't apply it to you.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmIt's the notation I use to distinguish between use and mention.
Who used or mentioned "brilliance"?
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm Even if it's just another way of saying "Nobody is perfect"?
So which interpretations of "everyone is a sinner" do you consider despicable?
You sure have a habit of punching up at IC and Nick_A.....
Indeed I do, but neither of those two interpret "everyone is a sinner" as "Nobody is perfect".
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm That is sage advice! If you practiced it more - I would be less of a twat ;)
Well, to be charitable I might suppose that it's chicken and egg. Frankly though, I doubt your being a twat is anything to do with me.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pmWould you like a proof-of-purchase?
I very much doubt that would be anything you will ever be in a position to provide, but fuck it, yeah, show me the receipt.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm My guess is she wouldn't thank you for involving her.
Which is somewhat detrimental to your information-acquisition quest...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Whaddya know? Maybe we do have something in common.
Obviously. That's the human condition.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Yeah, but we can't demonstrate it.
Sure, but the limits of the scientific method are not the limits of epistemology.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm That'll be the reality we don't understand.
And that very limit (of language) is also the limit of (communicable) understanding.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm We don't know that until it is demonstrated. It doesn't follow from the fact that we don't know a theory is true, that it isn't true.
It very much depends on your conception of "truth".

If truth has the properties of "consistency" and "completeness", then it cannot be expressed in language.

The limits of language are the limits of (communicable) understanding.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Because we don't yet have a model that can do both. Although I grant that even if we did, it would be underdetermined.
Wrong. If we had a model that could do both, a model that is universally applicable with no considerations of "operating parameters" (e.g domain of applicability), a model from which you can derive both QFT and GR - it implies superdeterminism!

All sorts of spooky shit and time-paradoxes begin to happen if we could perfectly-predict the future (but lets worry about it when we get there?).

Here's some reading you might find interesting: http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2019/1 ... -take.html

Or the paper the blog post introduces: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1912.06462.pdf
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm If those are the only options, I'll go for Oracle Machine.
Why? Does the God-language trigger you? "God" and "Oracle Machines" are isomorphic. Functionally equivalent. Synonymous. Two words for the same concept.

Perhaps it's prudent to choose your language for your audience after all? I probably can't explain God (e.g Oracle Machines) to my grandmother...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Or don't rely on mathematical models to "describe reality".
That's a great idea! You must have a better instrument then? One compatible with structuralism?

If you don't - the limits of Mathematics/Language are the limits of your understanding...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm So why do it?
You tell me? You constantly pick fights with theists, rather than defaulting to a charitable interpretation of seemingly bad ideas.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Yeah, but I didn't apply it to you.
It would've been much simpler to just call me stupid. I would've agreed.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Who used or mentioned "brilliance"?
Nobody in this conversation? It's was an adage I was expressing.
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Indeed I do, but neither of those two interpret "everyone is a sinner" as "Nobody is perfect".
Methinks you are going a little too far (and way beyond the principle of charity) to be making any claims about people's interpretations...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm Well, to be charitable I might suppose that it's chicken and egg. Frankly though, I doubt your being a twat is anything to do with me.
And you would be 100% correct. Me being a twat has nothing to do with you. But it may have something to do with your behaviour...
uwot wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm I very much doubt that would be anything you will ever be in a position to provide, but fuck it, yeah, show me the receipt.
And you would be right, receipts are risk to anonimity. But when the book arrives, I am happy to oblige a zero-knowledge proof of sorts.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm Y = LOGIC - and English has ample room for such discourse with reason to good standing.
Y/Why is not logic. All logic is declarative - the notion of a "question" is meaningless in logic/mathematics.
But you inferred using logic that Y is a homophone to WHY? I wasn't implying that WHY=LOGIC, rather pointing out the quirk of the homophone for that letter 'Y'. It's also the symbol Christ made when he was pinned up to some would.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm If English was 'nihilistic' then certainly the 3rd party entity that rendered its key components must be considered in the same vain.
An external (scientific) pursuit of "Why?" question leads to nihilism.
What about 'how'?
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm What language would satisfy you? C++? :D
Whatever language we develop interactively through shared experience and within the context of our shared objective?

The grammar/notation doesn't matter. English, Russian, Afrikaans, Zulu, Mathematics, C++
Sure, I doubt you'll find me venturing beyond English, although I still intend to learn French one day. Oui!
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 pm But you inferred using logic that Y is a homophone to WHY?
I did make an inference, but it could be an incorrect one...
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 pm I wasn't implying that WHY=LOGIC
And indeed - I was wrong. Clearly I misunderstood your meaning.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 pm , rather pointing out the quirk of the homophone for that letter 'Y'
OK... then you tricked me. Not very conducive to communication though.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm What about 'how'?
Science can answer "how?" questions. It can't answer "why?" questions.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm Sure, I doubt you'll find me venturing beyond English, although I still intend to learn French one day. Oui!
English it is...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:41 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm What about 'how'?
Science can answer "how?" questions. It can't answer "why?" questions.
This is an interesting perspective. I think when dealing with matters questioning wo\man themselves, indeed their consciousness, 'why?' is going to remain more prevalent, for a very long time.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:10 am This is an interesting perspective. I think when dealing with matters questioning wo\man themselves, indeed their consciousness, 'why?' is going to remain more prevalent, for a very long time.
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche