Knowledge, encrypted in our brains or not

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Logik

Re: Knowledge, encrypted in our brains or not

Post by Logik »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm One plausible theory is that the knowledge is encrypted in our brains and it somehow is decoded
The OP doesn't understand the Mathematical meaning of encryption/decryption and doesn't understand how it's different to encoding/decoding.

https://danielmiessler.com/study/encodi ... fuscation/

Encoding is a reversible mathematical transformation:
encoding(X) = Y
decoding(Y) = X

Encryption is a reversible mathematical transformation where given a secret key K:
encrypt(X,K) = Y
decrypt(Y,K) = X

If knowledge X was encrypted and stored in your brain as Y then you are still left with two questions:

1. Who has the decryption key K?
2. What is the decryption function?

I won't even bore you with the details of symmetric/asymmetric encryption.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Logik wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 am
bahman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm One plausible theory is that the knowledge is encrypted in our brains and it somehow is decoded
The OP doesn't understand the Mathematical meaning of encryption/decryption and doesn't understand how it's different to encoding/decoding.

https://danielmiessler.com/study/encodi ... fuscation/

Encoding is a reversible mathematical transformation:
encoding(X) = Y
decoding(Y) = X

Encryption is a reversible mathematical transformation where given a secret key K:
encrypt(X,K) = Y
decrypt(Y,K) = X

If knowledge X was encrypted and stored in your brain as Y then you are still left with two questions:

1. Who has the decryption key K?
2. What is the decryption function?

I won't even bore you with the details of symmetric/asymmetric encryption.
Thank you for the correction. I think I should have used encoding instead of encrypting.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm One plausible theory is that the knowledge is encrypted in our brains and it somehow is decoded as a result of mental activity becoming ready for experience. Where the knowledge comes from? Evolution, by chance. Basically those creatures who by chance have more knowledge could survive better. What do you think? Do we acquire knowledge through interacting with reality or we just got it by chance? In first case, how do we acquire knowledge?
Plato had a similar theory, so you are in good company. He thought that knowledge was recollection of knowledge gained in past lives. Now, I don't know how his chain of events began - i.e. how things were learned in the first life, but in later lives his theory resembles yours.
planetlonely23

Post by planetlonely23 »

We know many things by heart, even if a condition shows a theory, the opposite demonstrate the first case and vice versa. For example: If we read one thing from right to left, we can reflect that text on a mirror and you will read it from left to right but you know that is a reflect, for this reason knowing the contrary you know the primary condition.

Knowledge in my opinion is a situation in constant uncertainty and many things we solved by experience but without explain the new situation and stablishing it only because in the past was made in that way. Clearly there is uncertainty and we never will know things by code or genetic condition, it is impossible. We need to define each time the exact situation by approaching our mathematics measures and the new possibilities that sorround the new situation.
Logik

Post by Logik »

planetlonely23 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 pm We know many things by heart, even if a condition shows a theory, the opposite demonstrate the first case and vice versa. For example: If we read one thing from right to left, we can reflect that text on a mirror and you will read it from left to right but you know that is a reflect, for this reason knowing the contrary you know the primary condition.
It's just pattern-recognition and spatial permutation.

planetlonely23 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 pm Knowledge in my opinion is a situation in constant uncertainty and many things we solved by experience but without explain the new situation and stablishing it only because in the past was made in that way. Clearly there is uncertainty and we never will know things by code or genetic condition, it is impossible. We need to define each time the exact situation by approaching our mathematics measures and the new possibilities that sorround the new situation.
Some people define knowledge as "total absence of uncertainty". Way to put the cookie jar out of reach, eh?