What do WE know?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What do WE know?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Sometimes it seems the individual knows more than a group. From my sales experience, Price's Law predominates (meaning, from practice, about one in ten individuals has sales talent).

Over time I learned that in sales, sales talent doesn't exist and selling can be taught as I've done. The implications are incredible as a sales myth has arose and I believe that the individual would know more than the group (a notable example is where Dr. Louis Pasteur was ridiculed by his colleagues before his ideas took hold).

What do you believe?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Dalek Prime

Re: What do WE know?

Post by Dalek Prime »

WE don't have a mind. You and I have separate minds. WE do have a body of knowledge, which you and I may incorporate into our individual minds, but still interpreting and tailoring the knowledge for our own minds, differently.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:04 pm Sometimes it seems the individual knows more than a group. From my sales experience, Price's Law predominates (meaning, from practice, about one in ten individuals has sales talent).

Over time I learned that in sales, sales talent doesn't exist and selling can be taught as I've done. The implications are incredible as a sales myth has arose and I believe that the individual would know more than the group (a notable example is where Dr. Louis Pasteur was ridiculed by his colleagues before his ideas took hold).

What do you believe?

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
There is a collective called chess players. The advantage of chess over life is that we can learn why we don't understand chess through our losses but in life we don't understand why we lose; why everything turns in circles. There is a virtual infinity of experts all willing to write books about winning and losing in life but still we don't understand what it means to be human. We remain as this grand collective arguing opinions and justifying ourselves. We are apparently equal in ignorance or as Socrates said: "I know nothing."

The great Cuban world chess champion Jose Raul Capablanca was once asked how far he thinks ahead in chess? He answered "one move - and it is always the best." He understood the game in the real meaning of what it means to understand. He understood the wholeness of the game so could make the best next move.

Life is not like this. We live and reflect partial truths. Yet it is possible that some individuals may arise over time who are not part of the collective and experience the wholeness of human being as it is and its potential. They understand the rules of the game of life. They will act in accordance with the "best move." They will have "understanding."

What would it take for a person to acquire "understanding" and have there ever been people or will there ever be individuals who have acquired objective understanding able to make the best objective next move in the game of life?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

There is no “we” to know anything.

All there is is
“Tacit Knowing”

Knowing is every concept known, aka knowledge.

No thing knows knowledge because knowledge is no thing.