Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Beauty

Infinite Power

Post by Beauty »

You know how there's infinity?
Infinitely big
infinitely small
You know how there is life that cannot be seen by the naked eye for being microscopically small?
It just came to me that if infinity is there, some life could be infinitely small
And the limit would still not be there because infinity means unending really(ever increasing and ever decreasing, which would be the reason why infinity cannot be measured)
Amazing eh?
So then, what is a zero? Because as we know that means a limit reached, but this cosmos has like no limits
It means that zero would sit relative only,
As in I have zero mangoes but only today
As in zero shoes but only today
As in physical zero but spiritually there
As in physical zero but there in the physical environment
So zero timelessly could not be there for we could never reach it
Only pertaining to a certain point in time could zero be there and even that would be sitting relative to something
What do you think?
surreptitious57

Re: Infinite Power

Post by surreptitious57 »

Something would actually be non existent if it was infinitely small
And so for something to exist it could only be infinitesimally small
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Beauty wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:39 am You know how there's infinity?
Infinitely big
infinitely small
You know how there is life that cannot be seen by the naked eye for being microscopically small?
It just came to me that if infinity is there, some life could be infinitely small
And the limit would still not be there because infinity means unending really(ever increasing and ever decreasing, which would be the reason why infinity cannot be measured)
I think you might be conflating a the concept of a 'potential infinite' with an actual infinite. Because something could not literally be infinitely small.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:21 amSomething would actually be non existent if it was infinitely small
Well no, because zero times infinite is still 0; Something wouldn't even be 'infinitely small' if it were/became nonexistent.
surreptitious57

The mathematical representation of non existence is zero
So infinitely small and non existence are exactly the same
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 am I think you might be conflating a the concept of a 'potential infinite' with an actual infinite. Because something could not literally be infinitely small.
Really? So then what according to you is the smallest thing in the world 'cause surely being measurable it would be there? :wink:
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:18 am The mathematical representation of non existence is zero
So infinitely small and non existence are exactly the same
Your first line is correct but your second is not because infinitely small does not mean non existence. You know how somewhere Dontaskme has either quoted or written from his own something like - if we keep going smaller and smaller and backwards towards zero then energy would reach zero, it seems that you are also saying that, but if we keep going less and less energy then we will only reach the smallest energy particle let's say a quark, we will not reach zero. We could reach zero if energy could be created from nothing, but that is not possible, so we would only reach the smallest energy particle not zero. Hence infinitely small and non existence is not the same thing.
surreptitious57

Absolute nothing exists but it cannot persist due to quantum fluctuations
And it is from absolute nothing that virtual particles come into existence

The existence of virtual particles invalidates the first premise of the Kalam Cosmological Argument that states everything which
comes into existence must have a cause. The law of cause and effect is only a law of classical physics not of quantum mechanics

Also from a mathematical perspective zero can be reached and only so from any real number higher than it through infinite regress
This is because there are an infinite number of places between any two reals irrespective of how close to each other they might be
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Beauty wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 am
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 am I think you might be conflating a the concept of a 'potential infinite' with an actual infinite. Because something could not literally be infinitely small.
Really? So then what according to you is the smallest thing in the world 'cause surely being measurable it would be there? :wink:
I don't see what you're insinuating; Ask a relevant scientist, because I don't know.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I wasn't insinuating anything, but since you mention the word and I know a bit of psychology, then I know that somewhere you insinuated something, but let's leave it at that.

My opening post means to say that zero is like nothing and nothing cannot sit anywhere because then it would be something, and so it can only sit relative to something or in something as a subset as in - pen here today gone tomorrow or I am out of potatoes today. So zero only sits relative to something. We cannot see nothing or it would be something. Nothing is like a subset of something. We can see my no potatoes situation or model out of circulation, but as such we cannot really see nothing like we can see something because something is something.