Certain Knowledge

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Speakpigeon

Re: Certain Knowledge

Post by Speakpigeon »

Londoner wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am Does wanting your arm to move and then moving it not count as free will? Then what would?
'Free will' is not usually understood as some disembodied force unattached to people. It is the will of an agent.
I started a thread on free will to try and establish what most people think free will is as opposed to the ideology-laden concepts often used in debates.

If you're interested please visit viewtopic.php?f=10&p=341213#p341213

EB
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Speakpigeon wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:56 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm Geometry, as space, is one of the few things we are certain of as space cannot be analyzed past anything but itself.
Geometry is not space. We know geometry whenever we think of geometry because geometry is an idea but the physical world is not supposed to be an idea so just thinking about it isn't enough to know it. So, we don't know the physical world and therefore we don't know space.

And ideas are not merely extensions of space as space?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm
All observation requires a degree of "knowledge" as knowledge is observation. We know what we observe.
What we know are our impressions of observing the physical world. This in itself is not knowledge of the physical world.

Impressions are not a form of knowledge as approximations of knowledge? Impressions don't mediate our understanding of knowledge?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm Belief exists if and only if their is justification, as the rationality that manifests justification provides the same structure for the nature of the universe as we understand it. All "being" extends itself through reason as "ratio" and "symmetry".
We are able to believe all sorts of things and some of them are just not real. We usually understand this because we can stop believing something and we in fact often do, and we also often disagree with other people as to what we should believe. So believing something provides absolutely no guaranty whatsoever.

Do you believe this? And if so how can you state it is correct then?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm It is not up to me or anyone to provide justification for you as you provide no definition or requirement as to what "your justification" would be.
You're welcome.

No thanks were given as none were deserved, you provided nothing of value other than your own doubts...which you probably doubt.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm In all frankness I doubt anything is clear to you considering the nature of your arguments are strictly just "no" and contain little to no definition at all.
If all you can remember of my argument is the word 'no', then we don't have anything to discuss.
Bye-bye.
EB
The question occurs...Is that what you remember?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Speakpigeon wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:37 pm One thing is for sure, that you truncated my explanation shows you're not prepared to argue your views.
Bye-bye.
EB
Please don't feel discouraged, EB. You can always get a job when someone somewhere wants to put on the skit written and performed originally by the Monty Python Troupe, "House of Arguments". If you are not familiar with the skit, it's available most likely on YouTube, as an excerpt from the movie "Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl".
Dapplegrim

Post by Dapplegrim »

You can either have an illusion of certainty or the certainty of illusion.

It is the difference between a sciptical and non-sceptical approach.

Personally I prefer the certainty of illusion.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Scheuerf wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 am Is certain knowledge possible? If not, why? If so, what can we be certain of?
I think so. There is a reality.
-1-

Post by -1- »

bahman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 pm
Scheuerf wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 am Is certain knowledge possible? If not, why? If so, what can we be certain of?
are you sure that is not only an assumption?
bahman

Post by bahman »

-1- wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:20 am
bahman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 pm
are you sure that is not only an assumption?
I doubt everything including myself. We are however sure about the fact that experience exist. Experience has a content so called reality.
-1-

Post by -1- »

bahman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 am I doubt everything including myself. We are however sure about the fact that experience exist. Experience has a content so called reality.
I agree with this. According to this, we can only be certain that there is a reality, but of the nature of the reality we can't be certain of. Therefore the reality we experience may be an illusion.
bahman

Post by bahman »

-1- wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am
bahman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 am I doubt everything including myself. We are however sure about the fact that experience exist. Experience has a content so called reality.
I agree with this. According to this, we can only be certain that there is a reality, but of the nature of the reality we can't be certain of. Therefore the reality we experience may be an illusion.
Yes, I agree with this.
-1-

Post by -1- »

bahman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm
-1- wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am I agree with this. According to this, we can only be certain that there is a reality, but of the nature of the reality we can't be certain of. Therefore the reality we experience may be an illusion.
Yes, I agree with this.
May I have this dance?

According to my records, this is the first instance in the history of this website that two people mutually and simultaneously agreed with each other.

Burst open the bubblies! Drinks are on me, everyone! (So to speak... not literally.)
bahman

Post by bahman »

-1- wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 am
bahman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm
-1- wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am I agree with this. According to this, we can only be certain that there is a reality, but of the nature of the reality we can't be certain of. Therefore the reality we experience may be an illusion.
Yes, I agree with this.
May I have this dance?

According to my records, this is the first instance in the history of this website that two people mutually and simultaneously agreed with each other.

Burst open the bubblies! Drinks are on me, everyone! (So to speak... not literally.)
Yes. I agree with this too. So second it. :mrgreen: