Page 6 of 8

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 am
by Dubious
Realizing how present decisions inflect the future in which nothing is guaranteed. That all the powers that be relating to us are mostly ourselves in the here and now; nothing more extraneous than that. The future doesn't take care of itself but created in each moment of the present projected forward.

Being wise is equal to defaulting to the most intimate and mundane wisdom of all...being aware of how one thing leads to another and its consequences because THAT will be our fate. Wisdom means forcing time to work in your favor; "your" meaning the collective because TIME is the test and essence of wisdom. Its meaning is nothing special or profoundly insightful; only that we shouldn't outsmart ourselves relative to that which is really in control but instead yield to compromise. Fate may smile on those who submit but certainly cast away those who don't.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:20 am
by -1-
Dubious wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 am
Realizing how present decisions inflect the future in which nothing is guaranteed. That all the powers that be relating to us are mostly ourselves in the here and now; nothing more extraneous than that. The future doesn't take care of itself but created in each moment of the present projected forward.

Being wise is equal to defaulting to the most intimate and mundane wisdom of all...being aware of how one thing leads to another and its consequences because THAT will be our fate. Wisdom means forcing time to work in your favor; "your" meaning the collective because TIME is the test and essence of wisdom. Its meaning is nothing special or profoundly insightful; only that we shouldn't outsmart ourselves relative to that which is really in control but instead yield to compromise. Fate may smile on those who submit but certainly cast away those who don't.
I think you just combined the "Serenity Prayer" with "Time is Money". Not a bad combination to define wisdom, actually.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 pm
by Viveka
-1- wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:20 am
Dubious wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 am
Realizing how present decisions inflect the future in which nothing is guaranteed. That all the powers that be relating to us are mostly ourselves in the here and now; nothing more extraneous than that. The future doesn't take care of itself but created in each moment of the present projected forward.

Being wise is equal to defaulting to the most intimate and mundane wisdom of all...being aware of how one thing leads to another and its consequences because THAT will be our fate. Wisdom means forcing time to work in your favor; "your" meaning the collective because TIME is the test and essence of wisdom. Its meaning is nothing special or profoundly insightful; only that we shouldn't outsmart ourselves relative to that which is really in control but instead yield to compromise. Fate may smile on those who submit but certainly cast away those who don't.
I think you just combined the "Serenity Prayer" with "Time is Money". Not a bad combination to define wisdom, actually.
:lol: I"d say that wisdom is knowing Good and Evil and applying it for Goodness.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm
by Eodnhoj7
Going through life saying "Huh?"

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am
by Viveka
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm
Going through life saying "Huh?"
That's the hippy version of Socrates. Woahhh! Far out, man. :mrgreen:

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm
by Eodnhoj7
Viveka wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm
Going through life saying "Huh?"
That's the hippy version of Socrates. Woahhh! Far out, man. :mrgreen:
"Huh"?

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm
by -1-
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm
Viveka wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm
Going through life saying "Huh?"
That's the hippy version of Socrates. Woahhh! Far out, man. :mrgreen:
"Huh"?
Wow... heavy.

:-)

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm
by Eodnhoj7
-1- wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm
Viveka wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am


That's the hippy version of Socrates. Woahhh! Far out, man. :mrgreen:
"Huh"?
Wow... heavy.

:-)
I know...sometimes by infinite wisdom is too much to bear. I also found the simple phrases of "thank you" and "f'ck you" are the simple binary code life seems to revolve around.

Master the trifold "Huh"?, "Thank you" and "f'ck you" and the world is...well..."huh"?

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 pm
by -1-
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm
-1- wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm


"Huh"?
Wow... heavy.

:-)
I know...sometimes by infinite wisdom is too much to bear. I also found the simple phrases of "thank you" and "f'ck you" are the simple binary code life seems to revolve around.

Master the trifold "Huh"?, "Thank you" and "f'ck you" and the world is...well..."huh"?
I so totally agree.

There are corollaries, of course. "Are you looking at ME?" is one. "Aha" is another one, used in Winnie-the-Pooh, In Which Kanga and Roo Come to the Forest. "It's so cuuuute!", "Oh, my god, I'm going to die", and "Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee" conclude the series.

Any others?

I also like "you gotta get some to give some". It applies to love, war, the economy, and boxing.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm
by Eodnhoj7
-1- wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm
-1- wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm


Wow... heavy.

:-)
I know...sometimes by infinite wisdom is too much to bear. I also found the simple phrases of "thank you" and "f'ck you" are the simple binary code life seems to revolve around.

Master the trifold "Huh"?, "Thank you" and "f'ck you" and the world is...well..."huh"?
I so totally agree.

There are corollaries, of course. "Are you looking at ME?" is one. "Aha" is another one, used in Winnie-the-Pooh, In Which Kanga and Roo Come to the Forest. "It's so cuuuute!", "Oh, my god, I'm going to die", and "Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee" conclude the series.

Any others?

I also like "you gotta get some to give some". It applies to love, war, the economy, and boxing.
Wisdom also manifests itself symbolically, don't forget that.

I have observed the symbolism of "hello kitty" equates to pure death and destruction. The individual who wears this symbol becomes possessed with the primordial abyss. It could probably replace the baphomet viveka observed on one of these threads.

Upon entrance to hell, I expect to be greeted by a multitude of teenage asian girls in "hello kitty" apparel. It will reinvent Dante's "abandon all hope ye who enter here".

From that we can observe the fourth ancient piece of wisdom handed down by the ancients: "Oh Sh't".

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm
by -1-
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm
-1- wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 pm
Wisdom also manifests itself symbolically, don't forget that.

I have observed the symbolism of "hello kitty" equates to pure death and destruction. The individual who wears this symbol becomes possessed with the primordial abyss. It could probably replace the baphomet viveka observed on one of these threads.

Upon entrance to hell, I expect to be greeted by a multitude of teenage asian girls in "hello kitty" apparel. It will reinvent Dante's "abandon all hope ye who enter here".

From that we can observe the fourth ancient piece of wisdom handed down by the ancients: "Oh Sh't".
Oh, yes, how could I forget that. I wonder why an overwhelming amount of famous people's last words were about the future of humanity, how we must work together, etc., and not the ever-prevalescent "Oh Sh't".

And symbols are ephemeral... now it's Hello Kitty, yesterday it was the Energizer Bunny, and the day before that, Alzheimer's.

As the ancients were wont of saying, "Sic transit gloria mundi."

Funny, how the Chinese culture, with its incredibly rich depth, breadth and complexity, by the time it reaches the North American continent, gets reduced to images of Hello Kitty, and endless cigarette smoking. We are not even talking about Chinese watercolours of cherry trees in blossom, or of horses, or about Kung Fu warriors. Hello Kitty, and cigarettes.

Yeah, f'k. WTF.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 pm
by -1-
^ Sorry, I messed up the quotation referencing. (This is what happens to you when you try to be too cute.) What is attributed to me is Johndoe's, and what is to him, is mine.

I regret the confusion this error may have caused.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 pm
by -1-
With regard to what will greet me, on the other hand, in the gates of hell, will be the Devil himself, with these words: Welcome to Hell, LOL. Don't bother to take off your coat, LOL, it won't make any difference to you, LOL. Proceed directly to the Sh't Tank, LOL, and ask somebody how to keep submerged, LOL, in hot, hot sh't for five thousand years at a time, LOL.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 am
by attofishpi
"What is wise?"
First one should consider Intelligence and Knowledge.
There are many people on this forum that I am certain are more knowledgeable than myself.
There are many people on this forum that I am certain are more intelligent than myself.
There are a few that have both capacities, and they are extremely fortunate.

What is an Oracle? - A person of wise counsel.

This person may have been a fool, may have journeyed through life making bad choices, but so long as they have learned from their mistakes and made adjustments, and have been INTELLIGENT enough to do this, they can then in later years advise others WISELY.

Therefore, I think wisdom requires great intelligence coupled with a broad spectrum of knowledge upon which this intelligence can feed.

Re: What is wise?

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:45 am
by Dubious
Figuring out what's stupid.