correct answering

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate
Posts: 2566
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: correct answering

Post by Advocate »

[quote=uwot post_id=509351 time=1619816561 user_id=7941]
[quote=Advocate post_id=509348 time=1619815202 user_id=15238]If there are no exceptions, it's the best story because it does the best work.[/quote]There are no exceptions to the story 'God did it'. So is god the best story?
[/quote]

That answer leads to 100% exceptions, beginning with there being as many versions of god as there are people, so fuck off.
uwot
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: correct answering

Post by uwot »

Advocate wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 pmThat answer leads to 100% exceptions, beginning with there being as many versions of god as there are people, so fuck off.
This has been common knowledge for at least two and a half millennia. As Xenophanes said:
"But mortals suppose gods are born,
Wear their own clothes and have a voice and body.
The Ethiopians say that their gods are flat-nosed and black,
While Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair.
Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw,
And could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods
Like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each would shape
Bodies of gods in the likeness, each of their own kind".

People who create gods wish us to believe that gods create believers in their own image.
User avatar
RCSaunders
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Contact:

Re: correct answering

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:48 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:00 am <said things>
What's your problem with "the best that is possible is only statistically likely"?
If I understand your question, "the best that is possible," is not good enough to qualify as, "true." The statistical never identifies what is actually, "so," only what might be, what is likely, etc. One good graphic example of established truth (which no statistical analysis could ever have produced) is the periodic chart of the chemical elements. The properties of sulfur, for example, are not just statistically likely, but absolute, because if any substance, not matter how similar to sulfur it seemed, did not have the exact properties sulfur described in the periodic chart, it would not be sulfur.
DPMartin
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

Re: correct answering

Post by DPMartin »

uwot wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:01 pm
DPMartin wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 pm
uwot wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:26 pmThere is only one question that has a definite answer in philosophy - does anything exist? As long as that question can be asked, the answer is yes. Everything else is up for grabs and any question that has at least one correct answer isn't philosophical.
you're wrong there, philosophy is the search for the truth, not a search for the next brain fart that some one else might buy into.
So tell us another philosophical question that we know the answer to.
you might know that but by the posting of such as the one i posted to don't seem to get that fact do they?
uwot
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: correct answering

Post by uwot »

DPMartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pmyou might know that but by the posting of such as the one i posted to don't seem to get that fact do they?
Whut?
DPMartin
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

Re: correct answering

Post by DPMartin »

uwot wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 pm
DPMartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pmyou might know that but by the posting of such as the one i posted to don't seem to get that fact do they?
Whut?
ok, so i misunderstood your posting, but here one can presumed that postings are contentious rather than agreeable. disregard that last transmission.
uwot
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: correct answering

Post by uwot »

DPMartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 pmok, so i misunderstood your posting, but here one can presumed that postings are contentious rather than agreeable.
True enough.
DPMartin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 pmdisregard that last transmission.
Okie-dokie.
commonsense
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: correct answering

Post by commonsense »

DP, I am also interested in what other philosophical questions you might have in mind.

No contentiousness intended.
DPMartin
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 am

Re: correct answering

Post by DPMartin »

commonsense wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 pm DP, I am also interested in what other philosophical questions you might have in mind.

No contentiousness intended.
you don't want to know what's in my mind, it would put you to sleep, but since you asked
how about a thread in this section instruction, knowledge? just started.
Post Reply