Money

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Money

Post by attofishpi »

How much are YOU worth? Is that evil....?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

It's where we were in 1930......
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Worth? What I consider myself to be worth and what you consider, I can guess, would not match up.

Is that evil? No. It is your opinion rivalling mine.

Then we could venture into human trafficking. Is that evil. Yes
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

attofishpi wrote:What is money? What is time?

What are you asking for, don't you know?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

attofishpi wrote:How much are YOU worth? Is that evil....?

My worth is not measured in money
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

thedoc wrote:Money is an arbitrary medium of exchange, by assigning value to otherwise valueless tokens.
Here's another, you idiot:

Diplomas.

Valuless tokens of aquired brainwashing...a readiness to enter the worlk-force and strive for the same materialistic crap.

It states unequivocally:
I was smart enough to absorb a rudimentary understanding of the information...but not smart enough to challenge or contradict it.
I am now ready to serve and to srpead the same information as if it were indubitably absolutely true - particularly the information I acquired from the humanities, where boys are taught to think like girls, and how to be ashamed of my own inheritance.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

reasonvemotion wrote:
Is that evil? No. It is your opinion rivalling mine.
I didn't express an opinion.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

chaz wyman wrote:
Yes, but i was hoping someone would answer. Money is time.

Some people's time is valued more than others...hence they are paid more (per period of time)

When you buy something, the concept of a coin is pointless. Consider that for that 'coin-value', you worked for a period of time. The receiver of the coin is in effect not receiving, but taking from you the work period of time that you spent earning it.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

attofishpi wrote:Yes, but i was hoping someone would answer. Money is time.
Well, yes it is and I think it is disturbing that the amount of debt some nations are in mean that it is no longer just their time that is committed, but their children's and their children's children. It seems to me we have mortgaged our descendants.
Money is also control of resources:
attofishpi wrote:When you buy something, the concept of a coin is pointless.
Not entirely; the UK recently changed it's small denomination coins to steel precisely because the value of the copper was almost what the coin said it was; in other words the government couldn't make any money by making money.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

tillingborn wrote:
attofishpi wrote:When you buy something, the concept of a coin is pointless.
Not entirely; the UK recently changed it's small denomination coins to steel precisely because the value of the copper was almost what the coin said it was; in other words the government couldn't make any money by making money.
That was an amazingly intelligent point and so valid...i'm so glad i didn't suggest the coins were made of gold...because my coins were actually made of saw.dust
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

attofishpi wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
Yes, but i was hoping someone would answer. Money is time.

Some people's time is valued more than others...hence they are paid more (per period of time)

When you buy something, the concept of a coin is pointless. Consider that for that 'coin-value', you worked for a period of time. The receiver of the coin is in effect not receiving, but taking from you the work period of time that you spent earning it.

It is usually rendered time is money , not the other way round.

COIN is not meaningless when you know what it means. In fact the very thing for which you say it is meaningless is in fact that meaning of coin.
Coin means common, in the sense of a common medium of exchange, be that an exchange of labour of of goods.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

chaz wyman wrote:It is usually rendered time is money , not the other way round.
Oh reeaally...
chaz wyman wrote:COIN is not meaningless when you know what it means. In fact the very thing for which you say it is meaningless is in fact that meaning of coin.
Coin means common, in the sense of a common medium of exchange, be that an exchange of labour of of goods.
Do enjoy professing your knowledge, if only your level of intelligence was on par. I never stated that 'coin' in meaningless, and your statement in relation to what 'coin' means in no way contradicts me.
I said the concept of a coin is pointless, in effect, unless you consider its value in relation to the time you spent to earnt it...
You missed the point entirely.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

attofishpi wrote: I said the concept of a coin is pointless, in effect, unless you consider its value in relation to the time you spent to earnt it...
You missed the point entirely.
The good thing about coins is that they will buy me the same amount of beer whether I have had to work to be given one, or I find one on the street.
The point about the withdrawal of copper coinage is that the material value that people put on the coin is equal to the promise it represents. That was the idea behind the gold standard and why gold coins were accepted anywhere. They were worth their weight in gold.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

tillingborn wrote:The good thing about coins is that they will buy me the same amount of beer whether I have had to work to be given one, or I find one on the street.
Good point...but we are still left with the fact that money is time.
All you have done by finding a coin on the street has been to increase your 'timeshare'.
You can now purchase a beer...a product that man has spent time in preparing for you.
You can consider that for that value of coin you now have pocketed (briefly prior to exchange for beer) you didn't require to spend your time working to its equal value...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

reasonvemotion wrote:Is Money the Root of All Evil?

The Love of Money is the Root of All Evil is a much used phrase today. Is money really evil or is it a necessary tool?

Generally, when you hear people discuss money they mostly say it is evil and give examples of how it changed a person's character. Yet, most people want it and most people will do anything to get it.

Is money inherently evil or is it a virtue?
Of course money is not the root of ALL evil.
Evil has its driving forces...they say the best things in life are free, but for some they are not. Sex is a big usually non monetary driving force that can perpetuate 'evil' events.
In relation to my statement that money is time i guess my point is that money in a sense grants ownership of others.