“You only lose what you cling to.”

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: “You only lose what you cling to.”

Post by chaz wyman »

Barbara Brooks wrote:No problem.
Words like problem and solution ring false in philosophy, because they postulate the independence of what is thought from thinking exactly there, where thinking and what is thought are mediated by one another. Only what is true, can truly be understood philosophically. The fulfilling completion of the judgement in which understanding occurs is as one with the decision over true and false. Whoever does not participate in the judging of the stringency of a theorem or its absence does not understand it. It has its own meaning-content, which is to be understood, in the claim of such stringency. Therein the relationship of understanding and judgement distinguishes itself from the usual temporal order.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

nothing, i just thought the examples were interesting, that's all, historically, i have no real opinion about them.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

bus2bondi wrote:nothing, i just thought the examples were interesting, that's all, historically, i have no real opinion about them.
So you clutter up "philosophy" threads with music vids and have no reason for doing so?
MJA

Post by MJA »

Barbara Brooks wrote:Who said?
Just me,

=
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

How truthfully refreshing MJA. You have made my day, Socrates would be proud.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

noooo chaz, the title of the thread is titled, 'You only lose what you cling to', and i found that the videos related to that statement culturally. i wonder what cannot be lost culturally? technological advancement might be one? i appreciate the majority of technological advancement. i wonder if we culturally cling to this, we will lose it in the future someday as well? thanks for your video by the way.
MJA

Post by MJA »

Barbara Brooks wrote:How truthfully refreshing MJA. You have made my day, Socrates would be proud.
I would like to have lunch with Socrates,
And after it was all said and done,
So would the questions be.
Just me,

=
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

bus2bondi wrote:noooo chaz, the title of the thread is titled, 'You only lose what you cling to', and i found that the videos related to that statement culturally.

In ways you are obviously too inarticulate to express, in the first place?

i wonder what cannot be lost culturally? technological advancement might be one? i appreciate the majority of technological advancement. i wonder if we culturally cling to this, we will lose it in the future someday as well? thanks for your video by the way.

No problem. The Shadows were pretty good for their time - so few doing instrumental numbers for the charts.
As for loosing it - I can't image how it would ever happen that we could loose this material, barring a major population catastrophe world-wide due to a comet hitting the earth - digital media is cheap as chips. Somewhere on earth the means to play songs with a device that costs no more than price of a loaf of bread will always be with us for the foreseeable future.
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:54 am So, having read and quoted them are you now a buddhist?

Do you follow the eightfold path, hold the four noble truths?

Live as a buddhist?
Probably not because that would imply attachment and clinging
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 am Or you could believe what the buddhists say and be one. Follow the eightfold path and hold the four noble truths. But that'd be to hard for such as you as it'd involve actually doing something rather than waffling about it.

The 'truth' is easy to become you just have to believe in it.
Its actually not based on believe, its based on direct experience.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 am .

As philosophers, one of the things we must do is search for the truth. In order to search for the truth you must respect the truth. To search for truth you must begin with the truth. And even then, with all our efforts, the truth is difficult to become.
~~~ Bill Wiltrack ~~~

I love this quote from you Bill.

Truth is difficult to become because it never comes, like tomorrow never comes.

So how come you never come any more..I've missed you :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8CUfVtrAT8