“You only lose what you cling to.”

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Re: “You only lose what you cling to.”

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

MrsD wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Nietzsche
Everything is true then, and what we observe as nothing is just continual change which in itself is true yet is not true for infinite change is no change.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm a minimalist just so I have nothing to lose. It's very freeing, not clinging to things.

I've always said, if everything I have went up in smoke, I would still have myself. At least for the interim.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

LOVE The Forum. Love the creators and Moderators. LOVE the members, past and present.

Over the years, my time both on & off the site have enriched my life exponentially in many, many ways. And I know this forum can have the same effect upon all of you...if it hasn't already.

Always had a bit of an issue - on my end, with authority and censorship. That ultimately has lead to my third & final exit from this majestic forum.

Good day. It's been a good day. I wish all of you well.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 pm .

LOVE The Forum. Love the creators and Moderators. LOVE the members, past and present.

Over the years, my time both on & off the site have enriched my life exponentially in many, many ways. And I know this forum can have the same effect upon all of you...if it hasn't already.

Always had a bit of an issue - on my end, with authority and censorship. That ultimately has lead to my third & final exit from this majestic forum.

Good day. It's been a good day. I wish all of you well.

Lovely message.

I too have a problem with authority and censorship ..but ain't nothing gonna put this baby in a corner, I will continue on till I take my last breath. No one can silence the truth.

Bill, sorry to see you leave, it's a shame because your posts and the images you used spoke more than anything else. The images you used were in my opinion incredibley inspiring and bold in their statements, not to mention hilariously funny at times.

Well Bill, at least you left a legacy behind for all of us here to see the brilliance of your unique mind. And It's not like you can leave anyway, you can go on your way to pasture new, but you can never leave nowhere ..your presence will forever remain in the form of your imprints. You've left your impression here Bill, so you can never be forgotten.

Have a great rest of your life Bill, and fangs for the memory. :wink: :D

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Always had a bit of an issue - on my end, with authority and censorship. That ultimately has lead to my third & final exit from this majestic forum. ...
Third time lucky then.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

If you never clinged to anything then you never had anything to lose to begin with...
Torchickens

Post by Torchickens »

I like this idea and feel sometimes we can tend to view our lives/identity based on some of the things we cling to, when sacrifice or giving up in cases can lead to a happier well-being. However, the 'reverse side' of it may be the idea of sacrificing what you love trying to be somebody else, when subconsciously you may regret it, so in that case it's still a loss.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 pm If you never clinged to anything then you never had anything to lose to begin with...
I think the wording is ambiguous, it doesn't literally mean you can't 'lose' if you don't attach to something, but could also be interpreted as sometimes you have to make sacrifices (such as a computer addiction that's leading to bad health; by taking the emotion/attachment out of it it could lead to something else you might enjoy like the same but casual 1-2 hour sessions). However, I don't think humans can truly escape pain and it goes into the debate of how much control we have over our lives.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Barbara Brooks wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:27 pm SOB,

Zeno's argument is that a line cannot be composed of points. If we suppose that a line segment is composed of a multiplicity of points, then we can always divide a line segment, and every bi -section leaves us with a line segment that can it be divided? Continuing with the bisection process, we never come to a point, a stopping place.

So, the many, the line, must be both limited and unlimited in number of points. It must be limited because it is just as many (points) as it is, no more, and less. It is therefore, a definite number, and a definite number is a finite or limited number. Although, the many must also be unlimited in number, for it is infinitely divisible.

What is motion Zeno argues, that if a thing moves from one point to another, it must first traverse half the distance It therefore must pass through an infinite number of points, and that is impossible.

He uses for an example the race with the tortoise that has a head start, and the swifter-running Achilles who can never overtake the tortoise. Before he comes up to the point at which the tortoise started, the tortoise will have got a little way, and so on ad infinitum.

The notion of the flying object at rest Zeno argues, at any given moment it is in a space equal to its own length, and therefore is at rest at that moment.

Zeno's law presents the unchanging self-sameness as infinity change remaining the same. Knowing this process is necessary, because it resides in our pure idea.

Zeno rightfully thought eternity is the same thing once and forever. Number is thought but does not belong to perception, it is the infinite quantitative progression a meaningless repetitions of one and the same contradiction. Infinite has no ends, we cannot equate by any number we can only understand what we imagine. Time we use to determine duration and measurement to determine quantity.
You are probably gone but I would have enjoyed discussing your ideas such as what a point actually is and would have been curious if you distinguished between liner time we experience and the objective reality of vertical time.

From this perspective a point is defined as a limit and an infinity of points becomes a line and the first dimension. A plane would be composed of lines extending out from the first dimension producing the second dimension and so on. I see you are open to such ideas and do wish you well wherever you end up.

There is a big difference between losing what one clings to through escapism and opening to a higher conscious quality of intellect sometimes called intuition. Escapism is not understanding.
Luxin

deleted 491

Post by Luxin »

deleted 491
Last edited by Luxin on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Well, I've lost things I don't care about much as well, so it's not only things I cling to. Besides, I'd never be able to eat a clingstone peach if that were true, as I'd always be losing them.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

As a new joiner to this forum, please forgive my ignorance. But "you only lose what you cling to" does that mean you will lose Buddhism? I personally think it is igronant to believe in just one faith, religion..one view of values. Science and faith are very much the same coin...each faith religion, is born from a series of events experienced by different cultures to explain the same questions about our being, existence the reason we are here... each has there own ways and practices to understand this problem...
Walker

Post by Walker »

It means you can’t hold onto it even if you must.

Genesis 3:19 (KJV)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Anal retention can't last forever... uh, oh...