What's stopping us from seeing the truth?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: What's stopping us from seeing the truth?

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
lancek4 wrote:So there is a God?
I have no clue if there is a god. I have never said there was a god. In terms of god, I have always said that it's possible. I'm glad you do!
lancek4 wrote:How would I know of Its Truth?
You would have to have evidence that in fact he existed. I have no clue as to how, when or if you shall find the truth of god, if in fact he is in truth. How would I know what specific truths you're aware of. You are you, and I am I. I know the truths I've uncovered. It's your job to know the truths that you've uncovered.
What entity preserves and maintains the concept of truth?
How can a concept exist without an entity to conceive it. And yet you say you don't know there is a god, but insist that truth can exist.
This is barking mad. It's all the more amusing that you are never really thought this one through.
Last edited by chaz wyman on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

lancek4 wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
lancek4 wrote:So there is a God?
I have no clue if there is a god. I have never said there was a god. In terms of god, I have always said that it's possible. I'm glad you do!
lancek4 wrote:How would I know of Its Truth?
You would have to have evidence that in fact he existed. I have no clue as to how, when or if you shall find the truth of god, if in fact he is in truth. How would I know what specific truths you're aware of. You are you, and I am I. I know the truths I've uncovered. It's your job to know the truths that you've uncovered.

so there is your truth and then my truth? I thought you said there is an underlying truth. What is that? That we each have our own truth?
Look lancek4 I respect you more than I do some others that shall remain nameless, because you don't break down and start spouting profanity. You maintain your sense of calm. Sure you sling a bit of sarchasm here or there but I understand that sometimes it can help to make a point. But I really think you're messing with me now ;-) Come on man be honest with with me. You don't honestly expect me to believe that you really misunderstood me such that you really think that I meant that a particular truth varies from individual to individual, do you. Come on i wrote it as clear as day.

OK, I'll play along. Example: What am I eating right now? I've given you one "truth", which is that in "fact" I'm currently eating. This particular "truth" you can't test unless I had my webcam on and you saw it with your own eyes. Some might say that you still couldn't be sure because It could be faked with prerecorded video. But if I am in "fact" eating right now, whether you "know" it as "fact" or not it is the "truth" for everyone. look again at my last and I'm sure you'll see that I used the word "know," when I described yours and my "truths". It's not the "truths" that are different between us, it's the "knowing" of the truths that are different between us. You "know" right now in "fact" what you are doing and it is "truth" for both of us, but only one of us "knows" it in "fact."

I'm not saying I'm perfect and I'm getting old before my time such that I may forget a word here or there or use he wrong one, but I don't think I have. If I do I would hope that you'd call my attention to it.

PEACE, my friend!
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

"SpheresOfBalance"said:
You're incorrect, the truth exists, especially, without us, as humans distort the truth for their own selfish reasons.
Ok so I was playing a little with you SOB. One never knows until one puts it out there.
and yes, Chaz can be a little brazen.

So you counter pose knowledge with truth, and say that there is a truth and then there is human knowledge.
Ok sure, maybe there is. I was playing with you a little bit, partially because we must be careful in how we speak of things, because how we speak of things tends to convey the 'truth' of what we mean.

I attend your quote above. Sure, maybe there is a truth at some 'basis' of it all, but what does that really say, in saying it?
Once spoken in that way it immediatly lends itself to the philsophical-logical reduction which would deny the validity of the statement itself.

So what if there is a basic truth? What can I say about it? For every time I may say something about it I, in effect, deny myself and have in-effectualted the potential for that basic truth to exist.

If I say there is a basic truth, then I will be asked to show how it could be, and i am lead down a road of speculative metaphysical argument which relies upon faith based opinions, which is inevitably religion. thus I said: oh so God does exist.
Also, when I posit a basic truth and then a truth of human knowledge I am reifying the duality of reality, and thus positing the existance of God, or some extra or supra natural, separated entic force or being.

so, i do (attempt to) not speak of basic truths through that route that leads to contradiction of terms. And if i speak of essential things, it is to point to what may indeed be essential or implicit in the discourse presented.
I speak of how this basic truth may be effective in reality, that is, in knowledge, since we cannot know of something without knowledge, as Chaz pointed out earlier. To posit something that is beyond positing is contradictory, yet in that we may know what you mean, it is paradoxical. Thus I try to speak without arousing these phenomenal discursive ends. I try to.

at least, this is how i see it.

I have to wonder, then, as to your post above, what truth is being distorted by humans and what does the non-distorted state look like?
and we must be careful about conflating disparate arenas of reality.
If you refer to, say, some 'real' situation of water shortage and the 'truth' would be (or part or one of the truths) that more wells need to be dug and then there was a commentary which said that there is no shortage, then we could say that the former was basic truth and the latter was the distortion.
This cannot be used as an example of a universal type of basic truth, at least, I do not subscribe to taking local phenomenona and extrapolating it for general, parallel meaning.

You are proposing that there is a 'sub-stratum' of 'actual' reality that informs what our knowledge may come upon in its own right, and thereby are suggesting that human knowlegde is 'incomplete' as humans are coming upon 'more truth' of the universe as we progress in our understanding of the universe. You are proposing that there is a possible 'total universe' of which human knowledge has only grasped a part or portion, and these realities, these truths, universal and human, relate respectivly to the 'basic truth' and 'human knowledge (of truth)'.

Is this a correct statement of you position?
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

chaz wyman wrote:
lancek4 wrote:And here is another, maybe even better example:[
It seems this is where Hermuenetics stems from.
Together it might be seen that the "Truth' they both are searching for in discussion eludes them both because of the 'truth' both of the individually rely upon. Both of them together, each in thier own Truth but together creating the polemic, comprises the denied reality.

This is not helpful.

It's pretty - but not helpful.
Chaz, what is not hopeful about my proposition there. the Hermunetics comment was just me mumbling to myself, but as to the rest of it: tell me what or how it is not helpful. Helpful toward what end? What end are you proposing that I am not addrssing with my proposition?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

lancek4 wrote: Together it might be seen that the "Truth' they both are searching for in discussion eludes them both because of the 'truth' both of the individually rely upon. Both of them together, each in thier own Truth but together creating the polemic, comprises the denied reality. ... Chaz, what is not hopeful about my proposition there. the Hermunetics comment was just me mumbling to myself, but as to the rest of it: tell me what or how it is not helpful. Helpful toward what end? What end are you proposing that I am not addrssing with my proposition?
I was not helpful dumping me and him in the same category; searching for the truth "which eludes them".
1) I am not searching for the truth., like many other human fictions.
2) He thinks it has existed since the dawn of time itself, and is not searching either.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

What's stopping us from seeing the truth?

What truth?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

attofishpi wrote:What's stopping us from seeing the truth?

What truth?
Exactly
Ron de Weijze

Post by Ron de Weijze »

chaz wyman wrote:

What truth?
Exactly
Sounds like you are expressing the truth and claiming it yours.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Ron de Weijze wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

What truth?
Exactly
Nope. I do not subscribe to your concept of the truth.
Ron de Weijze

Post by Ron de Weijze »

chaz wyman wrote:
Ron de Weijze wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
Exactly
Nope. I do not subscribe to your concept of the truth.
Then what is it that you express?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

chaz wyman wrote:

What truth?
Exactly
Oh...
that truth.

Cause and Answer=God
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It's easier to become the truth than to describe the truth.

~~~ Bill Wiltrack ~~~

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What would becoming the truth be for you?
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

chaz wyman wrote:
lancek4 wrote: Together it might be seen that the "Truth' they both are searching for in discussion eludes them both because of the 'truth' both of the individually rely upon. Both of them together, each in thier own Truth but together creating the polemic, comprises the denied reality. ... Chaz, what is not hopeful about my proposition there. the Hermunetics comment was just me mumbling to myself, but as to the rest of it: tell me what or how it is not helpful. Helpful toward what end? What end are you proposing that I am not addrssing with my proposition?
I was not helpful dumping me and him in the same category; searching for the truth "which eludes them".
1) I am not searching for the truth., like many other human fictions.
2) He thinks it has existed since the dawn of time itself, and is not searching either.
What if I were to say that we are just another life form, living and exericeing the way humans do, as bears do the way bears do; would this be true?

Is the human fiction of truth, true? That there is a human fiction, is this true?
how might we speak of atoms and genes and behavior and pshychology if there is not some sort of truth?

I think you guys have already tread that water, but then I ask: from where are you getting the truth that allows you to say what is not true (and therefore true)? There must be some truth somewhere.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

Arising_uk wrote:What would becoming the truth be for you?
Such an interesting question, and it would be lovlely to hear Bill's answer, but I will speak for myself when I say that becomming the truth for me is doing exactly what I am doing: searching for how to express truth in the world; God told me to do this. :D