Could something whose existence depends on something else be free?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Could something whose existence depends on something else be free?

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:07 am
bahman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:55 pm
Age wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 pm

WHY did you NOT answer the first question posed and asked to you?

Are you REALLY Truly INCAPABLE of PROVIDING the ACTUAL ANSWER?

Therefore, to you, the 'human being' is 'the mind'.

Also, can you REALLY STILL NOT SEE that 'I' am 'my' 'mind' is a CONTRADICTION in and of itself?

That statement of yours here IS, literally, a PRIME EXAMPLE of a completely 'self-contradictory' term.
Each human is a set of minds that they interact with Qualia.
LOL If this is what you CONTINUALLY WANT TO BELIEVE is true, then PLEASE GO AHEAD and KEEP BELIEVING 'it'.

Also, HOW was the Universe, Itself, CREATED, and by WHO or WHAT was the so-called 'set of minds', which is what is NEEDED for ANY thing to HAPPEN or to be CREATED, as you PROPOSE here is the IRREFUTABLE truth of things?
Off-topic.
Age wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 pm Furthermore, HOW MANY 'minds' are there that A 'human being' is a 'set of', EXACTLY?
Many.
bahman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:55 pm There is however a hierarchy in the minds existing in the body. Some do a simple jobs like digestion and others do more complex tasks like logical thinking.
And WHICH ONES are the ONES that CAUSE and CREATE 'ILLOGICAL THINKING', as being SHOWN and PROVED here?
You haven't shown anything. You are just a waste of time.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:58 am
bahman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:55 pm
Each human is a set of minds that they interact with Qualia.
LOL If this is what you CONTINUALLY WANT TO BELIEVE is true, then PLEASE GO AHEAD and KEEP BELIEVING 'it'.

Also, HOW was the Universe, Itself, CREATED, and by WHO or WHAT was the so-called 'set of minds', which is what is NEEDED for ANY thing to HAPPEN or to be CREATED, as you PROPOSE here is the IRREFUTABLE truth of things?
Off-topic.
It is ONLY so-called "off-topic" to 'you', "bahman", BECAUSE of your complete LACK OF ABILITY to answer this question with ANY SUCCESS.
Age wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:41 pm Furthermore, HOW MANY 'minds' are there that A 'human being' is a 'set of', EXACTLY?
Many.
bahman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:55 pm There is however a hierarchy in the minds existing in the body. Some do a simple jobs like digestion and others do more complex tasks like logical thinking.
And WHICH ONES are the ONES that CAUSE and CREATE 'ILLOGICAL THINKING', as being SHOWN and PROVED here?
LOL It is 'you', "bahman", WHO is SHOWING and PROVING 'illogical thinking' here.

I am just CURIOS as to WHICH ones of the MANY 'minds' that A 'human being' is a 'set of' CAUSE and CREATE the 'ILLOGICAL THINKING' within and from THE 'human being' here known as "bahman"?

Also, while we are at it here, HOW MANY of the MANY 'minds' CAUSE this 'ILLOGICAL THINKING' of 'yours' "bahman"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:48 pm

Off-topic.
It is ONLY so-called "off-topic" to 'you', "bahman", BECAUSE of your complete LACK OF ABILITY to answer this question with ANY SUCCESS.
Many.

LOL It is 'you', "bahman", WHO is SHOWING and PROVING 'illogical thinking' here.

I am just CURIOS as to WHICH ones of the MANY 'minds' that A 'human being' is a 'set of' CAUSE and CREATE the 'ILLOGICAL THINKING' within and from THE 'human being' here known as "bahman"?

Also, while we are at it here, HOW MANY of the MANY 'minds' CAUSE this 'ILLOGICAL THINKING' of 'yours' "bahman"?
I am done with you.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:10 pm
Off-topic.
Many.

I am done with you.
AGAIN.

How many times is this now?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:23 pm

I am done with you.
AGAIN.

I am done with you.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:31 pm
I am done with you.
AGAIN.

I am done with you.
Okay, RUN AWAY, AGAIN.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:09 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:31 pm

AGAIN.

I am done with you.
Okay, RUN AWAY, AGAIN.
I am done with you.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Is free speech possible if our actions, including speech, are determined by forces beyond our control?
Is religious freedom possible if our actions, including our beliefs, are determined by forces beyond our control?
Is there any freedom if our actions are determined by forces outside of our control?
Some of us like to say that we live in a free society, but in which way are we truly free?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

BigMike wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:08 am Is free speech possible if our actions, including speech, are determined by forces beyond our control?
Is religious freedom possible if our actions, including our beliefs, are determined by forces beyond our control?
Is there any freedom if our actions are determined by forces outside of our control?
Some of us like to say that we live in a free society, but in which way are we truly free?
Nicely formulated, and re-interpreted is free speech possible if our REACTIONS including speech are determined by forces beyond our control. Freedom of action is necessary for free will and we are all reactionary creatures' other individuals being part of our physical world.
In answer to all the above, all the forces of the physical world in its historic causations are beyond the individual organism's control.
An organism is not free from its environmental context and society is an artificial environmental context which is supported by its environmental context. So, society is itself not free if freedom is defined as independence of. I think the fact that there is no such thing as independent existence pretty much makes free will a non-starter.
bahman

Post by bahman »

BigMike wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:08 am Is free speech possible if our actions, including speech, are determined by forces beyond our control?
By free I mean the ability to choose between available options.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:11 pm
In your view, does free "mean the ability to choose between available options" even when those choices are determined by forces beyond our control?
bahman

Post by bahman »

BigMike wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm
In your view, does free "mean the ability to choose between available options" even when those choices are determined by forces beyond our control?
You are still free even if you are forced to do the opposite of what you like. I also forget a word in the definition of free: the ability to choose between available options unimpeded.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Freedom is unrestricted choice, maybe, as reactive creatures the one thing which is not conceivable is an organism not reacting to its environment, for that is the organism's basic nature.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:04 pm You are still free even if you are forced to do the opposite of what you like.
Imagine being held at gunpoint and forced to open a safe. It might seem like you have no choice but to do what the gunman says. However, if you think about it, your brain is still making a choice. In this situation, the best option is to open the safe to avoid getting hurt. So, even though it may not be a choice you want to make because you would have preferred not to be in that situation, it's the best choice for you in that moment.

When you make decisions and take actions, your brain is constantly processing information to figure out the best course of action. This means that our choices are not based on some mystical free will, but instead a result of our brains calculating what is best for us in a given situation. If anything is "forced" on us, it is our brain's calculation of what the optimal course of action is.

Post by Age »

And with this definition human beings have 'free will', that is; they the ability to CHOOSE.