Could something whose existence depends on something else be free?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Could something whose existence depends on something else be free?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:50 pm
Age wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:43 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:40 pm
What?
you do BELIEVE, ABSOLUTELY, that the 'eternal or infinite future' does NOT exist, right?

Or, do you now BELIEVE that 'it' DOES exist?
Whether the future exists or not is a different topic.
your OBVIOUS ATTEMPTS at DEFLECTION just do NOT work "bahman".

I NEVER said absolutely ANY 'thing' about 'the future', itself.

As can be CLEARLY SEEN I SAID, STATED, and TALKED ABOUT 'the ETERNAL or INFINITE future'.
bahman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:50 pm I am talking about an infinite future that cannot be reached given the definition of infinity.
BUT 'infinity' CAN BE REACHED, given the definition of 'infinity'.

you just WANT TO BELIEVE that 'infinity' can NOT be reached BECAUSE then your WHOLE BELIEF and ASSUMPTION here WILL come CRASHING DOWN.
Age wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:29 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:40 pm
Oh please, you cannot reach unreachable.
LOL you REALLY DO NOT YET, anyway, have ANY REAL COMPREHENSION of what 'you' ACTUALLY ARE, do you?
What do you mean?
What I MEAN IS, 'you' REALLY DO NOT YET have ANY REAL COMPREHENSION of what the 'you' here ACTUALLY IS, do 'you', "bahman"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:53 am
bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:35 pm The free decision does not depend on (or is not reducible to) the current state of affairs (by the current state of affairs I mean the existence of something, a mental state for example which is about making a decision in a situation) that is reducible. The existence of something (the current state of affairs) which is reducible by definition depends on something else (this is the definition of reducible). Therefore something which is reducible cannot be free or something which is free is irreducible.

In compact form:

1) Freedom is not reducible to A that is reducible
2) A is reducible
3) Therefore, A cannot be free
There is no such thing as independent existence but even if there were one would need to ask free from what?
Sorry for the short title. I mean is it possible that a thing has free will and whose existence depends on something else?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 am

you do BELIEVE, ABSOLUTELY, that the 'eternal or infinite future' does NOT exist, right?

Or, do you now BELIEVE that 'it' DOES exist?

As can be CLEARLY SEEN I SAID, STATED, and TALKED ABOUT 'the ETERNAL or INFINITE future'.
bahman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:50 pm I am talking about an infinite future that cannot be reached given the definition of infinity.

you just WANT TO BELIEVE that 'infinity' can NOT be reached BECAUSE then your WHOLE BELIEF and ASSUMPTION here WILL come CRASHING DOWN.
No.
Age wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:29 pm

LOL you REALLY DO NOT YET, anyway, have ANY REAL COMPREHENSION of what 'you' ACTUALLY ARE, do you?
What do you mean?
What I MEAN IS, 'you' REALLY DO NOT YET have ANY REAL COMPREHENSION of what the 'you' here ACTUALLY IS, do 'you', "bahman"?
I know who I am I am.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:52 am

No.
What do you mean?
I know who I am I am.
So, what IS the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE, proper AND correct, answer to the question, 'Who am 'I'?'

Let us SEE what 'you', SUPPOSEDLY, know here.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:51 am
bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:35 pm The free decision does not depend on (or is not reducible to) the current state of affairs (by the current state of affairs I mean the existence of something, a mental state for example which is about making a decision in a situation) that is reducible. The existence of something (the current state of affairs) which is reducible by definition depends on something else (this is the definition of reducible). Therefore something which is reducible cannot be free or something which is free is irreducible.

In compact form:

1) Freedom is not reducible to A that is reducible
2) A is reducible
3) Therefore, A cannot be free
There is no such thing as independent existence but even if there were one would need to ask free from what?
Sorry for the short title. I mean is it possible that a thing has free will and whose existence depends on something else?
bahman,

The concept of free will depends upon the human ability to freely act and I do not believe there is any such thing as human action. There are human reactions, because all organisms are reactionary creatures. The fact that in order to move one needs to be motivated spell's reaction, not action. Human nature thus is dependent upon the world as cause to its reactionary nature, and so, in this sense is not an independent agent, lacking the ability to freely independently to take action.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 pm

No.

I know who I am I am.
So, what IS the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE, proper AND correct, answer to the question, 'Who am 'I'?'

What do you want to know?
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:20 pm

bahman,

The concept of free will depends upon the human ability to freely act and I do not believe there is any such thing as human action.
Ok, so you neither believe in free will nor in human action.
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:20 pm There are human reactions, because all organisms are reactionary creatures. The fact that in order to move one needs to be motivated spell's reaction, not action. Human nature thus is dependent upon the world as cause to its reactionary nature, and so, in this sense is not an independent agent, lacking the ability to freely independently to take action.
Are you a behaviorist? This is shown to be wrong a long time ago.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:24 pm
bahman,

The concept of free will depends upon the human ability to freely act and I do not believe there is any such thing as human action.
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:20 pm There are human reactions, because all organisms are reactionary creatures. The fact that in order to move one needs to be motivated spell's reaction, not action. Human nature thus is dependent upon the world as cause to its reactionary nature, and so, in this sense is not an independent agent, lacking the ability to freely independently to take action.
No, I am not a behaviorist, it is simply logical. If all organisms were not reactionary creatures' evolutionary adaptation would not be possible neither would the functioning of your immune system. If you can accept that you are part of something larger than yourself, it should not be a terrible jump of the imagination to realize as a functional part; you must be a reactionary element in this something greater than yourself; your reactions contributing to that same larger entity.
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:49 pm

bahman,

No, I am not a behaviorist, it is simply logical. If all organisms were not reactionary creatures' evolutionary adaptation would not be possible neither would the functioning of your immune system. If you can accept that you are part of something larger than yourself, it should not be a terrible jump of the imagination to realize as a functional part; you must be a reactionary element in this something greater than yourself; your reactions contributing to that same larger entity.
Have you ever had a doubt?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Doubt, of course, doubt is mostly what there is, but if you let it freeze you in place; it serves the same purpose as fear. Both fear and doubt serve us well, but they can both stop you from living an authentic life.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:18 pm
No.

I know who I am I am.

Are you BLIND and DEAF?

I want to KNOW your answer to the question I posed and asked 'you', "bahman".
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:11 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Doubt, of course, doubt is mostly what there is, but if you let it freeze you in place; it serves the same purpose as fear. Both fear and doubt serve us well, but they can both stop you from living an authentic life.
But how could an organism as you define it have doubt?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:17 am

Are you BLIND and DEAF?

I am a human being. Period.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

You are a multicellular organism; you do not doubt that I assume, but you have doubts about how to react to the complexities/circumstances of the world.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:31 pm
Age wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:17 am
Are you BLIND and DEAF?

I am a human being. Period.
So, to the one known here as "bahman" the correct AND proper answer to the question, 'Who am 'I'?' IS 'human being'. Now, to "bahman", am 'I' dependent upon some 'thing' ELSE?