What is matter?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

What is matter?

Post by bahman »

I believe in a new version of substance dualism that reality is made of two substances, minds (I have an argument for mind and I can share it with you if you are interested), and Qualia. Mind is an irreducible substance (I have an argument for irreducibility of mind and I can share it with you if you are interested) with the ability to experience and cause. Qualia is a reducible substance and it is the subject of experience and causation. Given these, matter cannot be anything but a collection of minds that interact via Qualia. Here we are left to explain what force and mass are: Mass is nothing but a sort of Qualia that resists change in motion. Force is nothing but a sort of Qualia that carries momentum and energy. Two objects, therefore, interact with each other through the exchange of Qualia.

Re: What is matter?

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 pm I believe in a new version of substance dualism that reality is made of two substances, minds (I have an argument for mind and I can share it with you if you are interested), and Qualia. Mind is an irreducible substance (I have an argument for irreducibility of mind and I can share it with you if you are interested) with the ability to experience and cause. Qualia is a reducible substance and it is the subject of experience and causation. Given these, matter cannot be anything but a collection of minds that interact via Qualia. Here we are left to explain what force and mass are: Mass is nothing but a sort of Qualia that resists change in motion. Force is nothing but a sort of Qualia that carries momentum and energy. Two objects, therefore, interact with each other through the exchange of Qualia.
But those so-called 'arguments' are not sound and valid, and therefore are not worth repeating.

By the way 'matter' is just 'that', which is of 'physicality', yes or no?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:10 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 pm I believe in a new version of substance dualism that reality is made of two substances, minds (I have an argument for mind and I can share it with you if you are interested), and Qualia. Mind is an irreducible substance (I have an argument for irreducibility of mind and I can share it with you if you are interested) with the ability to experience and cause. Qualia is a reducible substance and it is the subject of experience and causation. Given these, matter cannot be anything but a collection of minds that interact via Qualia. Here we are left to explain what force and mass are: Mass is nothing but a sort of Qualia that resists change in motion. Force is nothing but a sort of Qualia that carries momentum and energy. Two objects, therefore, interact with each other through the exchange of Qualia.
But those so-called 'arguments' are not sound and valid, and therefore are not worth repeating.
You have never understood my arguments and I am not going to repeat them for you.
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:10 pm By the way 'matter' is just 'that', which is of 'physicality', yes or no?
No.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:08 am
You have never understood my arguments and I am not going to repeat them for you.
But I HAVE understood them. That is HOW I KNOW they are NOT sound and valid arguments, and thus are NOT worthy of even repeating them, for me NOR for ANY one else.
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:10 pm By the way 'matter' is just 'that', which is of 'physicality', yes or no?
No.
Okay.

So, what is 'matter' then, if it is NOT 'physical'?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Which is it? Mind, or minds?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 pm
But I HAVE understood them. That is HOW I KNOW they are NOT sound and valid arguments, and thus are NOT worthy of even repeating them, for me NOR for ANY one else.
Could you please tell everybody my argument for mind and its irreducibility?
No.
Okay.

What is physical to you? I already explained what is matter.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:03 pm
There are minds.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

It's a high-entropy, entangled energy eddy.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Advocate wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:32 pm It's a high-entropy, entangled energy eddy.
What!?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=bahman post_id=620097 time=1674247158 user_id=12593]
[quote=Advocate post_id=620095 time=1674246761 user_id=15238]
It's a high-entropy, entangled energy eddy.
[/quote]
What!?
[/quote]

It's a bunch of energy that came together and settled in such a way as to stay together for a while.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:55 pm
There are minds.
How many?

Post by Age »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 pm
Could you please tell everybody my argument for mind and its irreducibility?
You will NOT repeat your arguments for me but you EXPECT me to repeat your arguments for you, right?

Also, as I said, your argument is NOT sound and valid, and therefore NOT worth repeating.

WHEN you formulate a sound and valid argument, then get back to us. We ALL would be VERY INTERESTED in SEEING 'that'.
No.
Okay.

What is physical to you?
ONCE MORE, you make the CLAIM, I ask you to CLARIFY, you then DETRACT and/or DEFLECT.

If, to you, 'matter' is NOT 'physical', then what IS 'matter'?

I will suggest, AGAIN, if one comes here, especially in a philosophy forum, making CLAIMS, then it would be best if they had the ACTUAL PROOF for their CLAIM BEFORE they make the CLAIM, itself.

What is 'physical', to me, is 'that', which can be smelt, felt, tasted, seen, or heard with the visible parts of the human body.
bahman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:55 pm I already explained what is matter.
you CLAIM that 'matter cannot be anything but a collection of minds that interact via Qualia'.

you have NOT actually EXPLAINED what 'matter', itself, IS, EXACTLY, other than, OF COURSE, that 'matter' is NOT 'physical'.

Maybe if you provide some examples of so-called 'non physical matter', then this might help your BELIEFS and CLAIMS here.
Walker

Post by Walker »

There are minds.
viewtopic.php?p=620155#p620155
bahman

Post by bahman »

Advocate wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:50 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:39 pm
Advocate wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:32 pm It's a high-entropy, entangled energy eddy.
What!?
It's a bunch of energy that came together and settled in such a way as to stay together for a while.
Why do they stay together to form matter?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:02 pm
There are minds.
How many?
Infinity.