What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

Post by commonsense »

If someone is completely colorblind, it must look like the same “color” as everything around it, whatever that may be.

To a person who is partially colorblind, blue looks like what most people call green.

But what if everyone were partially colorblind? What would blue look like? What would color mean to us?
Impenitent

Re: What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

Post by Impenitent »

Stevie Ray Vaughan

-Imp

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm If someone is completely colorblind, it must look like the same “color” as everything around it, whatever that may be.

To a person who is partially colorblind, blue looks like what most people call green.
How could ANY one KNOW this or PROVE this, to be true?

For all we KNOW what you call 'red' we call 'blue', and how could we EVER KNOW, for sure?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm But what if everyone were partially colorblind?
Then EVERY one would just be, so-called, 'partially colorblind', that is what if.
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would blue look like?
Whatever EVERY one agrees with and accepts. Which is EXACTLY like how ALL colours look like, NOW.

How would you KNOW if we are NOT ALREADY ALL 'partially colorblind'?

HOW could this be tested, and verified?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would color mean to us?
Probably the EXACT SAME as it does NOW, to 'us' who are so-called 'not colorblind'.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I simply considered that blue/green colorblindness is a known condition. The Ishihara test is probably used to detect color blindness, but, as you say, there is really no way to know what any given color looks like to a person who doesn’t see colors according to agreed upon convention. You are quite correct throughout your post. Yet I would still be curious if anyone else has a different take on this. Thank you for your response.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm If someone is completely colorblind, it must look like the same “color” as everything around it, whatever that may be.

But what if everyone were partially colorblind? What would blue look like? What would color mean to us?
Just experience it for yourself.

Upload an image and select the type of color-blindness you want to simulate.

https://pilestone.com/pages/color-blindness-simulator-1
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

As I am colour blind I can answer this question.

Blue looks blue.

For more information please ask!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

the questioner needs to explain what he/she means by 'blue' before we can answer.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:44 pm As I am colour blind I can answer this question.

Blue looks blue.

I can’t tell the difference between some blues and some greens and gray and some browns.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:15 am the questioner needs to explain what he/she means by 'blue' before we can answer.
What I mean by blue is the colors that by convention are usually called blue.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 am I can’t tell the difference between some blues and some greens and gray and some browns.
Have you ever tried the Enchroma glasses?

I have now gifted those to two color-blind friends and they were both speechless having exerienced them for the first time.
commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 am What I mean by blue is the colors that by convention are usually called blue.
Whose convention? Color-blind; or non-color-blind people's convention?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The questioner needs to explain what he/she means by 'the colors that by convention are usually called blue' before we can answer.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:44 pm As I am colour blind I can answer this question.

Blue looks blue.

I can’t tell the difference between some blues and some greens and gray and some browns.
But that is based on someone else's idea.
There is a tribe in Africa who can tell the difference between some greens that no one else on earth can.
Did you know that in ancient Greece there was no word for blue?
Homer described the sea as "wine dark".

Consider that if everyone on your country saw the same colours that you did, then it would be foreigners who were colour blind.
Colour does not exist out there in the "real world".
What happens is that different surfaces reflect variable wavelengths of light and depending on your genetics, you will see these differences as "COLOUR", which happens in your perception. Colour is an invention of perception.
Since most people have the same genetics they can all agree that cup x is "blue" and plate y is "red. But think about that - we do not even know, and cannot know if they are seeing the same thing; they just agree by convention and as their wavelength to colour translation os internally consistent then colour appears objective. But the very existence of colour blindness(so called) is a challenge to that view point.

Now we come to variations in the perception that people call colour blindness. Colour blind people, like you and me, just see colour differently and we know enough about this difference to be able to categorise at least 2 types of "colour blindness".

It actually gets more complex than that. since the ambient "colour" changes our perception. When we use artificial light the brain changes the colours in your head to adjust. Have you ever seen a photo taken wit incandescent light that is all yellowy - that is the true colour. But whilst you were in the room your brain deleted that yellow out. You might also have seen a photo of a sunset which is a rich red colour. That is accurate. But once again out brains delete the redness so that "normal" colours are preserved.
There are all sorts of games you can play with colour context.
You might remember the meme of a dress that some people thought was blue whilst others thought it was gold?
That is the brain making adjustments due to ambient colour context.

Colour is all in the mind.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:23 am
commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:48 am I can’t tell the difference between some blues and some greens and gray and some browns.
Have you ever tried the Enchroma glasses?

I have now gifted those to two color-blind friends and they were both speechless having exerienced them for the first time.
commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 am What I mean by blue is the colors that by convention are usually called blue.
Whose convention? Color-blind; or non-color-blind people's convention?
Might try them

Non
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"A profound question no doubt"

"Remember the bacetrium?"

"Bacteria!"

"Bacterium!"

"Bacteria?!"

"The Bacterium!!"

"Are you implying what I think you're implying!?"

"I dunno! What are you implying I'm implying."

"Quit horsin' around'! You know what I'm implyin' you're implyin'"

"If this were an algorithm the line would read "Goto Serengeti""
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Seeing color differently than the majority doesn't mean it's wrong just different. Most color blindness goes undiscovered due to the fact that the color-blind subject learns to call what he sees by the same name the majority call it.