What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Flannel Jesus

Re: What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

Post by Flannel Jesus »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:33 amMost color blindness goes undiscovered
Fascinating, where can I read the source of this information?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Apparently colour doesn't exist until we have a name for it. Strange but true.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:41 am
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:33 amMost color blindness goes undiscovered
Just google it, I am sure there is abundant info on it. My brother as we were growing up and he got his first car, he was delighted with the car and its color, thinking it was a silver gray when in fact it was green. It is often discovered by accident because sometimes if they see red differently than the majority, they still learn to call it red.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:50 am Apparently colour doesn't exist until we have a name for it. Strange but true.
Color does not exist in the physical world, it is all energy waves and frequency, colors are how this affects the eye, in other words, color is biological reaction.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 am
Just google it, I am sure there is abundant info on it. My brother as we were growing up and he got his first car, he was delighted with the car and its color, thinking it was a silver gray when in fact it was green. It is often discovered by accident because sometimes if they see red differently than the majority, they still learn to call it red.
I did look it up, I couldn't see anything saying that. But your example of your brother kinda goes against what you said:
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:33 am Seeing color differently than the majority doesn't mean it's wrong just different. Most color blindness goes undiscovered due to the fact that the color-blind subject learns to call what he sees by the same name the majority call it.
So in fact your brother's colour blindness was discovered precisely because he didn't learn to call the colour of the car "green" despite it appearing green to everyone else.

What you said was at best a partial truth, because in general colour blind people will always have some set of colours they cannot distinguish in the way everyone else does. They cannot learn to call everything by the name everyone else does, only most things.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm If someone is completely colorblind, it must look like the same “color” as everything around it, whatever that may be.

To a person who is partially colorblind, blue looks like what most people call green.

But what if everyone were partially colorblind? What would blue look like? What would color mean to us?
I am colour blind
I can tell you now. Blues looks exactly like blue.
It does not look like green because green looks like green.

TO some humans even YOU are "colour blind", because colours are in the mind not in nature and there are human communities that can see types of green that no Westerner can.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 am
I did look it up, I couldn't see anything saying that. But your example of your brother kinda goes against what you said:
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:33 am Seeing color differently than the majority doesn't mean it's wrong just different. Most color blindness goes undiscovered due to the fact that the color-blind subject learns to call what he sees by the same name the majority call it.
So, in fact, your brother's color blindness was discovered precisely because he didn't learn to call the colour of the car "green" despite it appearing green to everyone else.

What you said was at best a partial truth, because in general colour blind people will always have some set of colours they cannot distinguish in the way everyone else does. They cannot learn to call everything by the name everyone else does, only most things.
Color is an emergent quality, in the sense that energy wave frequencies are combined with how they affect one's eardrum and how the understanding processes that as color. There would be many variations of how precisely individuals interpret these wave frequencies from one individual to another. With the example of my brother, I agree, perhaps not the best example, but I have no idea how many times that difference would come up mistaking green for silver gray. It is pretty well established however, that what is called color blindness is not that at all, just those who perceive a given frequency differently from the majority standard.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:55 amIt is pretty well established however, that what is called color blindness is not that at all, just those who perceive a given frequency differently from the majority standard.
I don't really think that's a sufficient definition. If it was only a matter of perceiving it differently, it wouldn't necessarily be a "blindness" at all. It's a matter of perceiving it differently, with a few extra properties as well.

I mean, you're making it sound like it's just a minor perceptual change, but a lot of colour blindness is a physical problem in the cones of the eyes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congeni ... _blindness

These people aren't just experiencing the qualia of these wavelengths differently, they have a genuine chemical problem making it impossible to distinguish some colours that everyone else can distinguish easily. Their eyes literally, chemically, are not sending the brain the information required to distinguish these colours.

If it were just a matter of perceiving colours differently, well, EVERYONE might technically perceive them differently. Two non colour blind people may have their colour wheel rotated, or even reversed, compared to each other. But that wouldn't be a disability, or a deficiency, or any type of "blindness", because even with a shifted, rotated, or reversed colour wheel, these two people can both still distinguish all the same colours. There wouldn't be any test you can devise that would be able to tell if their colour wheels were rotated relative to each other.
Last edited by Flannel Jesus on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm
But what if everyone were partially colorblind? What would blue look like? What would color mean to us?
It would look like the color of the clear sky, without any clouds at all, in the daytime.

For those with cataracts, blue might look like a daytime sky with clouds.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The statement is color blind, which means blind to color, there may be an individual/s who are blind to color that is a possibility. The average person that falls under that category is just someone who interprets biologically, some frequencies differently from the majority standard.
Nickolasgaspar

Post by Nickolasgaspar »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm If someone is completely colorblind, it must look like the same “color” as everything around it, whatever that may be.

To a person who is partially colorblind, blue looks like what most people call green.

"Color" is a mental state result of our brain's visual area attempting to interpret the energy carried by different light waves. When our sensory system (eyes in this case) is unable to "collect" the information correctly, the stimuli produced is compromised. So in the case that we are partially colorblind...color would still mean the same and our brains will still interpret the stimuli but with less information.
Nickolasgaspar

Post by Nickolasgaspar »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:24 am

How could ANY one KNOW this or PROVE this, to be true?

For all we KNOW what you call 'red' we call 'blue', and how could we EVER KNOW, for sure?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm But what if everyone were partially colorblind?
Then EVERY one would just be, so-called, 'partially colorblind', that is what if.
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would blue look like?
Whatever EVERY one agrees with and accepts. Which is EXACTLY like how ALL colours look like, NOW.

How would you KNOW if we are NOT ALREADY ALL 'partially colorblind'?

HOW could this be tested, and verified?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would color mean to us?
Probably the EXACT SAME as it does NOW, to 'us' who are so-called 'not colorblind'.
In reality we humans are all partially colorblind...compared to the mantis shrimp(16 color-receptive cones vs only 3 found in the human eye). In addition to that, language and culture plays a huge role in what colors we can see and identify. i.e. in a series of amazing studies, tribes in Africa and Asia fail to distinquish colors that we westerners found obviously different just because they have them under the same name. We also fail to distinquish colors they categorize as different. Specific greens which are important (ir.e. tender leaves for food) are named differently and easily identified by them while we just can't see the difference!
Examining the hardware(eye, cons and rods) is a great way to test and verify the differences. Interviewing the individual and asking to make comparisons with different areas of the spectrum is also a good way to understand the differences. Of course there are other more advanced methods.

Post by Age »

Nickolasgaspar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 am
Age wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:24 am

How could ANY one KNOW this or PROVE this, to be true?

For all we KNOW what you call 'red' we call 'blue', and how could we EVER KNOW, for sure?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm But what if everyone were partially colorblind?
Then EVERY one would just be, so-called, 'partially colorblind', that is what if.
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would blue look like?
Whatever EVERY one agrees with and accepts. Which is EXACTLY like how ALL colours look like, NOW.

How would you KNOW if we are NOT ALREADY ALL 'partially colorblind'?

HOW could this be tested, and verified?
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm What would color mean to us?
Probably the EXACT SAME as it does NOW, to 'us' who are so-called 'not colorblind'.
In reality we humans are all partially colorblind...compared to the mantis shrimp(16 color-receptive cones vs only 3 found in the human eye). In addition to that, language and culture plays a huge role in what colors we can see and identify. i.e. in a series of amazing studies, tribes in Africa and Asia fail to distinquish colors that we westerners found obviously different just because they have them under the same name. We also fail to distinquish colors they categorize as different. Specific greens which are important (ir.e. tender leaves for food) are named differently and easily identified by them while we just can't see the difference!
Examining the hardware(eye, cons and rods) is a great way to test and verify the differences. Interviewing the individual and asking to make comparisons with different areas of the spectrum is also a good way to understand the differences. Of course there are other more advanced methods.
Okay
Maia

Post by Maia »

Speaking as someone who is *completely* colour blind, please try and convince me that colours actually exist at all.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:42 am Speaking as someone who is *completely* colour blind, please try and convince me that colours actually exist at all.
Click on this link: https://youtu.be/HU6LfXNeQM4

It's a PBS documentary on how perceptions in the brain are often deceptions.

There's a segment that talks about color. And it notes that color is something that is created in the brain.