Magical systems: Wicca

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Magical systems: Wicca

Post by Walker »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:36 pm Logically, if Maia weighs as much as a duck, she's made of wood. Therefore she's a witch
viewtopic.php?p=600183#p600183
Maia

Post by Maia »

Walker wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:21 pm
Maia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 am For a typical spell, a Wiccan will take three candles in the colour of three of the planets, and light them, visualising what they want to happen. They'll also most likely devise a short chant to the same effect, and may use incense, too. They might also burn something, such as a lock of hair. An important rule is that the spell must not bring harm to others, as this is said to rebound three times over on the person doing it. Other, more elaborate workings are possible, but these are the essentials.
It appears that non-ordinary rituals serve to focus attention. The more completely attention is focused on something, the more that the chaos of the universe is organized according to that something, to the awareness of the attentive. For example, you get a new car and suddenly it seems like so many other people have that car, whereas you would not have noticed that organizing structure in the general chaos, prior to your attention focusing on that car.

The point: Focused attention is underrated. It is a source of energy. Usable energy, whether used by machine or organics, is important for doing. For example: there’s lots of energy in lightning but it’s unusable because it can’t be organized, much to Tesla’s disappointment.

However, electrical energy can be organized through magnetism. Human energy, which at the level of neurons and ganglia is electrical, can also be organized, via attention. As energy, the effects of organized attention take on a life of their own that is independent of choice, and humans with their imperfections and limitations merely add to their ignorance with hubris by assuming to know all the effects of attention upon the world … particularly group attention focused upon a single, something. Some of the effects often get passed off as coincidence. Coincidence can be called the Dark Matter of daily affairs in that it's how the inexplicable is explained, along with the multi-purpose, "Wow!"
:wink:
Many types of magic have as their goal the focusing of the will.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:36 am
Age wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:29 am
Maia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:22 am

You're undoubtedly right to say that no two people practice magic in *exactly* the same way, which is also true of anything else. There are, however, a number of well established systems, of which Wicca is one, and these have practices in common.
Okay, but what HAS so-called "wicca" actually done or achieved?
Maia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:22 am I don't have a simple definition of magic in a few words. I think it's more useful to describe it.
Okay. So I will wait for you to describe what 'magic' is, EXACTLY.
Wiccans would say it has provided them with a framework that makes sense of existence, and the means to have agency within it.

I hope I'd already described it, if only scratching the surface. What are you unsure about?
What is the purpose of this thread?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:01 pm
Maia wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:36 am
Age wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:29 am

Okay, but what HAS so-called "wicca" actually done or achieved?

Okay. So I will wait for you to describe what 'magic' is, EXACTLY.
Wiccans would say it has provided them with a framework that makes sense of existence, and the means to have agency within it.

I hope I'd already described it, if only scratching the surface. What are you unsure about?
What is the purpose of this thread?
To quote myself:

+++Since there appear to be quite a few misconceptions about what magic is here, I thought I would try and explain some of the different systems.+++
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:36 pm Logically, if Maia weighs as much as a duck, she's made of wood. Therefore she's a witch
Who are you that is so wise in the ways of science?