Is magic related to electro-magnetism?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: Is magic related to electro-magnetism?

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:45 pm
Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:40 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:38 pm Humans originated in one tiny region of Africa. It stands to reason that myths and folklore are going to have common elements world wide.
Then you would need to show it, with evidence. Not just isolated motifs, like dragons, but common stories. If you can't, then it's a very weak theory.
It's not a 'theory', it's proven with DNA evidence. How little do you know, exactly?
The origin of mythology is proven with DNA evidence? Please keep up.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:46 pm Maia, I suspect you're anecdotal "evidence" would NEVER hold up to scientific scrutiny. This is how religions probably start. It starts out with an "open mind" who listens to a tall tale told by someone else and believes it to be true. Google for youtube videos debunking faith healers and all other manners of pseudoscience theories. There are videos debunking almost every crazy story, from elephant artists to just about any other crazy claim.
She doesn't want to know. I'm sure she only looks at those sites and videos that support her insanity.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:46 pm Maia, I suspect you're anecdotal "evidence" would NEVER hold up to scientific scrutiny. This is how religions probably start. It starts out with an "open mind" who listens to a tall tale told by someone else and believes it to be true. Google for youtube videos debunking faith healers and all other manners of pseudoscience theories. There are videos debunking almost every crazy story, from elephant artists to just about any other crazy claim.
All I know is what I experience.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:48 pm
You stated you used metal rods. Someone could have just as easily placed a magnet in the ground to influence those rods. Sounds like it was a staged demonstration. Who knows. There are more deceitful people out there than you might expect. If dowsing were a thing, then everyone would be using it all the time, engineers, architects, etc.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 pm
You stated you used metal rods. Someone could have just as easily placed a magnet in the ground to influence those rods. Sounds like it was a staged demonstration. Who knows. There are more deceitful people out there than you might expect. If dowsing were a thing, then everyone would be using it all the time, engineers, architects, etc.
A lot of them do. You get oil diviners, for example, and farmers use it to find the best place to dig a well.

The other people I was with also had the same reaction at the same spot.

It would have had to have been a pretty big magnet to influence the rods from under the ground.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:02 am

A lot of them do. You get oil diviners, for example, and farmers use it to find the best place to dig a well.

It would have had to have been a pretty big magnet to influence the rods from under the ground.
I wish I could count the number of people I've encountered on the Internet who believed (seemingly very sincerely) and claimed proof of all kinds of crazy stuff. Some will point you to websites demonstrating there were ancient astronauts, fossilized aliens, that yetis are real, Elvis sightings, 9/11 was a hoax, an elephant drawing a copy of a Monet masterpiece, Noah's Ark was found, and the moon landings were fake. Now we have sightings of UFOs coming back into the news. People are always hungry for the sensational.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:16 am

I wish I could count the number of people I've encountered on the Internet who believed (seemingly very sincerely) and claimed proof of all kinds of crazy stuff. Some will point you to websites demonstrating there were ancient astronauts, fossilized aliens, that yetis are real, Elvis sightings, 9/11 was a hoax, an elephant drawing a copy of a Monet masterpiece, Noah's Ark was found, and the moon landings were fake. Now we have sightings of UFOs coming back into the news. People are always hungry for the sensational.
I know what I experienced. Go and try it. Dowsing is so common and so easy that I wouldn't call it sensational. It's humdrum.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:19 am

I know what I experienced. Go and try it. Dowsing is so common and so easy that I wouldn't call it sensational. It's humdrum.
I'm sure it wouldn't work for me. I just read where apparently you have to have some kind of special gift for doing it. How convenient.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

But you've only done it once? Correct?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am

I'm sure it wouldn't work for me. I just read where apparently you have to have some kind of special gift for doing it. How convenient.
Everyone I know who has tried it can do it. So no, you don't.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 am

No, I've tried it quite a few times since then.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:28 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 am

No, I've tried it quite a few times since then.
Did you find water when you tried all those other times? How do you know when you found water? Were you told by someone or did you get a shovel and start digging?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:27 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am

Everyone I know who has tried it can do it. So no, you don't.
If I dug down a few feet I would most likely come to water. There is a lot of water under the ground...
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:19 am I know what I experienced. Go and try it. Dowsing is so common and so easy that I wouldn't call it sensational.
Me too. I had a water-witcher help identify where I should dig my well. Everyone in the community had done the same. He was an old-timer, and came with a branch of some sort, and did his thing, then he let me try it. That branch moved on its own in my hands, over and over! It doesn't matter to me whether it was pointing to water specifically (although it apparently worked for finding water at a depth far less than the area was known for) -- what's more amazing to me is that a branch loosely held in my hands was reacting to anything at all!

The implications (to me) are that there is much more at work than we are typically aware of.