Is magic related to electro-magnetism?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: Is magic related to electro-magnetism?

Post by Maia »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:38 am
Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:28 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 am

But you've only done it once? Correct?
No, I've tried it quite a few times since then.
Did you find water when you tried all those other times? How do you know when you found water? Were you told by someone or did you get a shovel and start digging?
No, the usual way is for people to dowse the same area, without knowing where the others had a hit.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:27 am
Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:19 am I know what I experienced. Go and try it. Dowsing is so common and so easy that I wouldn't call it sensational.
Me too. I had a water-witcher help identify where I should dig my well. Everyone in the community had done the same. He was an old-timer, and came with a branch of some sort, and did his thing, then he let me try it. That branch moved on its own in my hands, over and over! It doesn't matter to me whether it was pointing to water specifically (although it apparently worked for finding water at a depth far less than the area was known for) -- what's more amazing to me is that a branch loosely held in my hands was reacting to anything at all!

The implications (to me) are that there is much more at work than we are typically aware of.
Yes, I fully agree. And with regard to dowsing, those who doubt it only need to go and try it. Nothing is better than personal experience.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Maia, I suppose you also believe in the power of the Ouija board to summon "the spirits" you want to communicate with and ask questions.
Maia

Post by Maia »

reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:13 am Maia, I suppose you also believe in the power of the Ouija board to summon "the spirits" you want to communicate with and ask questions.
No, why would you say that?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:14 am
reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:13 am Maia, I suppose you also believe in the power of the Ouija board to summon "the spirits" you want to communicate with and ask questions.
How 'closed minded' of you.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:48 am
Maia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:14 am
How 'closed minded' of you.
I've never experienced a Ouija board so can't comment on it.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

But you know about them?

Why would I say that?

Reading up on it on Wiki....... Spiritualists in the United States believed that the dead were able to contact the living and reportedly used a talking board very similar to a modern Ouija board at their camps in the U.S. state of Ohio in 1886 to ostensibly enable faster communication with spirits.

The ideomotor effect is an example of unconscious, involuntary physical movement — that is, we move when we’re not trying to move. If you’ve ever experienced the sudden feeling of jerking awake from sleep (known as the hypnic jerk), you’ve experienced a more abrupt version of the ideomotor effect: your brain signaling your body to move without your conscious awareness. The obvious difference is that the ideomotor effect happens when you’re awake, so the reflexive movements you make are much smaller.

This explains the above and it seems to be very similar to the water finding aparatus you are convinced it had nothing to do with you.

The mind is a very powerful persuader, it is not magic.
Last edited by reasonvemotion on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:16 am But you know about them?
She's taken stands on some things that she has experienced. Why not focus on them?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

See above
Maia

Post by Maia »

Why would I say that?

Reading up on it on Wiki....... Spiritualists in the United States believed that the dead were able to contact the living and reportedly used a talking board very similar to a modern Ouija board at their camps in the U.S. state of Ohio in 1886 to ostensibly enable faster communication with spirits.

The ideomotor effect is an example of unconscious, involuntary physical movement — that is, we move when we’re not trying to move. If you’ve ever experienced the sudden feeling of jerking awake from sleep (known as the hypnic jerk), you’ve experienced a more abrupt version of the ideomotor effect: your brain signaling your body to move without your conscious awareness. The obvious difference is that the ideomotor effect happens when you’re awake, so the reflexive movements you make are much smaller.

This explains the above and it seems to be very similar to the water finding aparatus you are convinced it had nothing to do with you.

I think dowsing is indeed caused by involuntary muscle movements, triggered by the body, or nervous system, picking up on the electro-magnetic signature of underground flowing water, for example.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Why would I say that?

If dowsing works, then this is irrelevant. If dowsing does not work, it is not relevant.
With Ouiji boards, depending on whatever claims those who use them are, it might be relevant.

Because with OBs people are generally claiming that they are not moving it. That the moving is all an external force. Of course others likely say that in some way it is guided and would have no problem with their own reflex movements being involved.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Maia wrote:
I think dowsing is indeed caused by involuntary muscle movements, triggered by the body, or nervous system, picking up on the electro-magnetic signature of underground flowing water, for example.
Where exactly were you when you participated in the divining. Was it woodland with dense shrub or desert like terrain.
Maia

Post by Maia »

reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 am Maia wrote:
Where exactly were you when you participated in the divining. Was it woodland with dense shrub or desert like terrain.
It was a stone circle. There are some woods around it, but the area I walked over was grass.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

What happened when the rods twisted?
Did someone dig a hole in the ground and discover water?
Or it was taken for granted water was underground.
It stands to reason water would be there if this exercise took place near a stream.
Perhaps you heard the stream and the ideomotor effect of the unconscious kicked in hence the involuntary physical movements of the rods.
Maia

Post by Maia »

reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:35 am What happened when the rods twisted?
Did someone dig a hole in the ground and discover water?
Or it was taken for granted water was underground.
It stands to reason water would be there if this exercise took place near a stream.
Perhaps you heard the stream and the ideomotor effect of unconscious kicked in hence the involuntary physical movements of the rods.
They twisted inwards, very sharply. The warden of the stones knew where the stream was, it was underground, you couldn't hear it.