to grok Math

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

to grok Math

Post by Advocate »

Math is a sub-set of logic (relationships that always replicate) that deals exclusively with relationships of quantity.

Quantity is recursive boundary conditions; to the extent you can divide something into equal parts, you can do math on it.
Iwannaplato

Re: to grok Math

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 pm Math is a sub-set of logic (relationships that always replicate) that deals exclusively with relationships of quantity.
Math certainly has a lot of areas where quantity is the issue. But there is focus on quality and other things in other areas of math, especially higher math. Topology includes quantitative issues, but also qualitative ones. And it's not alone in math for doing that. It ain't exclusive.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Iwannaplato post_id=588927 time=1660084800 user_id=3619]Topology includes quantitative issues, but also qualitative ones.[/quote]

That only means it combines math with a more general taxonomy, not that math includes qualitative judgements.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 pmTopology includes quantitative issues, but also qualitative ones.
That only means it combines math with a more general taxonomy, not that math includes qualitative judgements.
Well, I'll let the mathematicians correct you, but there are qualitative aspects to math, especially as you go up the chain of expertise. It ain't just measurement and numbers and quantity. You can seem to deny this by saying they combined this with other things, but actually it includes other things. And at it's root it is often more or less logic and not numbers/quantity.

But the experts will do a better job than I can. It's too long since I took those courses.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Iwannaplato post_id=588934 time=1660086251 user_id=3619]
Well, I'll let the mathematicians correct you, but there are qualitative aspects to math, especially as you go up the chain of expertise. It ain't just measurement and numbers and quantity. You can seem to deny this by saying they combined this with other things, but actually it includes other things. And at it's root it is often more or less logic and not numbers/quantity.
[/quote]

That just means that the more complex ideas are, the less mathematical they are - the less quantitative they are. This applies most particularly in physics where the cutting edge is always a search for the right metaphor to fit the data, or in neuroscience where they're still in the Platonic stage of philosophical development - working out the mereology and vocabulary.