So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: We are living in simulating reality

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am
bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:34 am
Can you prove there are other minds other than human minds?

Note definition of what is mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind
To me, mind is an irreducible substance with the ability to experience qualia and cause qualia.
You mean 'mind' is an irreducible substance beyond a living human?

A human mind is supported by real empirical neurons in working order plus the whole human self.
If a human is dead, there is no human mind.

What are such 'minds' supported by?
What are the empirical evidences to verify and justify your claim that such an external non-human mind is real?
I have an argument for that (argument from motion): Think of a change in an object, A to B. To be B the object must not be A. There is however nothing when there is no A and nothing cannot possibly cause B. Therefore there must be a mind with the ability to experience A and cause B. It has to have the ability to experience since otherwise, it cannot cause B that is related to A. It has to have the ability to cause too since otherwise there would be no B.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:50 am
bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 pm Yes, everything is minds and qualia. Minds being primary and qualia are due to minds.
Yes, I knew you believed that.
I wrote:
What's the problem with not thinking everything is qualia and mind?
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 pm You're making claims about all of reality when you are only in touch with yourself, by our own admission. You don't know if the same ontology holds everywhere.
It is a matter of fact. If there is a motion that is not due to my mind then it is due to another mind. There are motions that they are not due to me so there is at least one mind more.
And again. I ask you how you can know things that are beyond your mind and you repeat your position. I know that is your position.
Again: It is a matter of fact. If there is a motion that is not due to my mind then it is due to another mind. There are motions that they are not due to me so there is at least one mind more. How a motion could be due to my conscious mind and I am not aware of it?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 pm We know that we don't have direct access to the color of an object. There is light reflected from the object, then our sensory system comes to play, and then qualia are formed in the brain.
And generally people focus on color when making this kind of argument. It is not that we don't have direct access to the color of an object but rather the color we see is a quale. The object need not 'have' a color.

But why do we focus on color when making the simulation argument?

Because it is much harder to make this argument with mass, volume, shape. formation, depth. These are nothing like color.

If I run through a field with gulleys, bumps, holes, clumps of nettles, rocks, I can generally do this, even at high speed, without falling down. How do I manage that if i don't have some clear access to reality?

My mind or brain is not making up shapes, depths, widths, contours etc. AND I will do vastly better at this than a blind person.

Color may well be a quale that has nothing to do with the ding an sich. But these other tactile qualities, also visible to me, are still there in scientific measurement of the objects.

Why can't the blind person run through the field as well as me, if it's all just quale and mind?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 pm
bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 pm We know that we don't have direct access to the color of an object. There is light reflected from the object, then our sensory system comes to play, and then qualia are formed in the brain.
And generally people focus on color when making this kind of argument. It is not that we don't have direct access to the color of an object but rather the color we see is a quale. The object need not 'have' a color.

Because it is much harder to make this argument with mass, volume, shape. formation, depth. These are nothing like color.

If I run through a field with gulleys, bumps, holes, clumps of nettles, rocks, I can generally do this, even at high speed, without falling down. How do I manage that if i don't have some clear access to reality?

My mind or brain is not making up shapes, depths, widths, contours etc. AND I will do vastly better at this than a blind person.

Color may well be a quale that has nothing to do with the ding an sich. But these other tactile qualities, also visible to me, are still there in scientific measurement of the objects.

Why can't the blind person run through the field as well as me, if it's all just quale and mind?
Have you ever burnt your fingers? If yes, you notice the pain in your finger. But your finger just sent signals to your brain. This means that the feeling of pain is simulated in your brain such that you experience the pain located at your finger. The reality is that there is no pain in the location of the finger. The same rule applies to feeling gravity, sharp edge, etc.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:20 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 pm

Have you ever burnt your fingers? If yes, you notice the pain in your finger. But your finger just sent signals to your brain. This means that the feeling of pain is simulated in your brain such that you experience the pain located at your finger. The reality is that there is no pain in the location of the finger. The same rule applies to feeling gravity, sharp edge, etc.
Bahman, I find that you do two things, rather often, and they are not mutually exclusive. Instead of adressing points I make, you reassert your position AND/OR you bring up something new, in our dialogue, that is not directly related to what I wrote.
It's tiring. I feel like I have to run around, find quotes from ten steps back in our dialogue to show you the contradiction I orginally responded to but got no response then. Or I have to try, again and again, to get a direct response. If you can actually show the connection, directly to what I wrote, ah, how unfortunately rare. But the way you do it, you don't actually show the steps in the argument, which is also a call for me to chase you round the horse stalls. It's facile and disingenous, though likely not intentional. I assume you think you are responding to me, But, regardless, I am going to take a break from communicating with you and I suspect this will be a relief to you, but for the wrong reasons. Take care.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

bahman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:15 pm
bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm
To me, mind is an irreducible substance with the ability to experience qualia and cause qualia.

A human mind is supported by real empirical neurons in working order plus the whole human self.

What are the empirical evidences to verify and justify your claim that such an external non-human mind is real?
I have an argument for that (argument from motion):
1. Think of a change in an object, A to B.
2. To be B the object must not be A.
3. There is however nothing when there is no A and nothing cannot possibly cause B.
4. Therefore there must be a mind with the ability to experience A and cause B.
5. It has to have the ability to experience since otherwise, it cannot cause B that is related to A.
6. It has to have the ability to cause too since otherwise there would be no B.
When you say 'think' in [1 ] you are invoking the human mind which is very limited and fallible. Thus what that follows is fallible.

Your 3 is basically claiming a first cause or prime mover pre-existed. This is fallible and heavily refuted as illusory and impossible to be real.

Your 4 is an equivocation fallacy.
You are concluding something that is empirical [mind that experience and cause things] from reasoning [bad reasoning anyway] but without any empirical verifications and justifications at all.

Thus your whole argument 1-5 is in shambles and the conclusion do not follow is based on a deception via equivocation.

If you are so sure of your conclusion, you must verify and justify an empirical claim via empirical evidences plus rational philosophical reasonings.

If your 'mind' [within acceptable definition] exists surely it can be empirically verified, justified and tested.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 pm
bahman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:20 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 pm And generally people focus on color when making this kind of argument. It is not that we don't have direct access to the color of an object but rather the color we see is a quale. The object need not 'have' a color.

Bahman, I find that you do two things, rather often, and they are not mutually exclusive. Instead of adressing points I make, you reassert your position AND/OR you bring up something new, in our dialogue, that is not directly related to what I wrote.
It's tiring. I feel like I have to run around, find quotes from ten steps back in our dialogue to show you the contradiction I orginally responded to but got no response then. Or I have to try, again and again, to get a direct response. If you can actually show the connection, directly to what I wrote, ah, how unfortunately rare. But the way you do it, you don't actually show the steps in the argument, which is also a call for me to chase you round the horse stalls. It's facile and disingenous, though likely not intentional. I assume you think you are responding to me, But, regardless, I am going to take a break from communicating with you and I suspect this will be a relief to you, but for the wrong reasons. Take care.
I am so sorry for your frustration. I just wanted to keep your attention that whatever that we experience is simulated in our brain.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:37 am

3. There is however nothing when there is no A and nothing cannot possibly cause B.
5. It has to have the ability to experience since otherwise, it cannot cause B that is related to A.
When you say 'think' in [1 ] you are invoking the human mind which is very limited and fallible. Thus what that follows is fallible.
I replace think with imagine. Problem solved?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Your 3 is basically claiming a first cause or prime mover pre-existed. This is fallible and heavily refuted as illusory and impossible to be real.
No, actually I can assume that something can come out of nothing and show that we are dealing with a problem. Interested to see that line of argument?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Your 4 is an equivocation fallacy.
No, if B exists and nothing cannot cause it then something else must cause it since something cannot cause itself. One can show that that thing must be mind otherwise we are dealing with regress.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am You are concluding something that is empirical [mind that experience and cause things] from reasoning [bad reasoning anyway] but without any empirical verifications and justifications at all.
All thing that I need to start my argument is that change exists.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Thus your whole argument 1-5 is in shambles and the conclusion do not follow is based on a deception via equivocation.

If you are so sure of your conclusion, you must verify and justify an empirical claim via empirical evidences plus rational philosophical reasonings.

If your 'mind' [within acceptable definition] exists surely it can be empirically verified, justified and tested.
You cannot empirically observe mind but you can see its trace, motion.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

bahman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:05 pm
mickthinks wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:01 pm Your conclusion doesn't follow. We have no access to reality. It follows that we experience and are conscious of something which is less than reality. But that "something less" isn't a simulation of the complete reality.
What do you mean by "something which is less than reality"?
By that I mean "something which is less real".

Hope that helps!
bahman

Post by bahman »

mickthinks wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:29 pm
bahman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:05 pm
mickthinks wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:01 pm Your conclusion doesn't follow. We have no access to reality. It follows that we experience and are conscious of something which is less than reality. But that "something less" isn't a simulation of the complete reality.
What do you mean by "something which is less than reality"?
By that I mean "something which is less real".

Hope that helps!
No, it doesn't.
Veritas Aequitas

bahman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Unfortunately, nope!

When you use the term 'imagine' that is with reference to the empirical where the ultimate is you must provide empirical evidence to verify and justify your conclusion.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Your 3 is basically claiming a first cause or prime mover pre-existed. This is fallible and heavily refuted as illusory and impossible to be real.
No, actually I can assume that something can come out of nothing and show that we are dealing with a problem. Interested to see that line of argument?
Assume is not valid for a proper argument of reality.
Since you have switched to 'imagine' i.e. intuition, sense and empirical, you have to be ready to provide empirical justifications for your conclusion.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Your 4 is an equivocation fallacy.
No, if B exists and nothing cannot cause it then something else must cause it since something cannot cause itself. One can show that that thing must be mind otherwise we are dealing with regress.
If you are switching to 'imaging' [intuition and experiential] then there is no equivocation with merely 'thinking'. In this case you have to prove the empirical justification like how we can prove the moon exist conventionally and empirically.

When you switch to imagine there is no question of 'regress'.
It is 'turtle all the way' whichever 'turtle' you imagine, just bring the empirical evidence and justification to demonstrate it is a real thing.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am You are concluding something that is empirical [mind that experience and cause things] from reasoning [bad reasoning anyway] but without any empirical verifications and justifications at all.
If change exists empirically, you still have to demonstrate the mind beyond humans or anything also exists empirically.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am Thus your whole argument 1-5 is in shambles and the conclusion do not follow is based on a deception via equivocation.

Yes one cannot observe a mind, .e.g. a human mind.
But at least whatever mind is real it must be verifiable, justifiable and testable empirically which we can easily do with a basic human mind.
Your claim of a 'mind' beyond human minds is like the cosmological argument, i.e.
that there are creations, then there must be a creator,
that creations are so complex, then there must the greatest creator, i.e. God.

In your case, you only see trace, motions, etc. but it is totally false to jump into the conclusion there is a mind beyond human minds and all things.

That theists and you jumping to hasty conclusion is driven by a psychological impulse arising from an existential crisis - it is psychological soothing to jump to conclusion. You need to reflect on this alternative view.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:35 am
bahman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Unfortunately, nope!

When you use the term 'imagine' that is with reference to the empirical where the ultimate is you must provide empirical evidence to verify and justify your conclusion.
Assume is not valid for a proper argument of reality.
Since you have switched to 'imagine' i.e. intuition, sense and empirical, you have to be ready to provide empirical justifications for your conclusion.
If you are switching to 'imaging' [intuition and experiential] then there is no equivocation with merely 'thinking'. In this case you have to prove the empirical justification like how we can prove the moon exist conventionally and empirically.

When you switch to imagine there is no question of 'regress'.
It is 'turtle all the way' whichever 'turtle' you imagine, just bring the empirical evidence and justification to demonstrate it is a real thing.
If change exists empirically, you still have to demonstrate the mind beyond humans or anything also exists empirically.

Yes one cannot observe a mind, .e.g. a human mind.
But at least whatever mind is real it must be verifiable, justifiable and testable empirically which we can easily do with a basic human mind.
Your claim of a 'mind' beyond human minds is like the cosmological argument, i.e.
that there are creations, then there must be a creator,
that creations are so complex, then there must the greatest creator, i.e. God.

In your case, you only see trace, motions, etc. but it is totally false to jump into the conclusion there is a mind beyond human minds and all things.

That theists and you jumping to hasty conclusion is driven by a psychological impulse arising from an existential crisis - it is psychological soothing to jump to conclusion. You need to reflect on this alternative view.
All I want to say is that there is a motion then there is mind. How would you start an argument like that?
Veritas Aequitas

bahman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:20 pm All I want to say is that there is a motion then there is mind. How would you start an argument like that?
It just does not follow.
From your original intention, it is a problem of equivocation, i.e.
There is motion [empirical], then there is mind [pure reason].

if you correct it then it would be,
There is motion [empirical], then there is mind [empirical].

if the above is the argument, then bring the empirical evidence to justify such 'empirical based mind' exist.
How would you start an argument like that?
Here is one way out for you on this;

There is motion [empirical], then there is a human-like mind [empirical].

The above is an empirical possibility, because we have evidence of existing human minds [empirical].
You can speculate there is a human-like-Mind [or minds] in a location 100 light years away in the universe generating reality for humans on Earth [like the Matrix].
Then you can confirm the above is real by bringing the empirical evidences to justify it is real.

The above is an empirical possibility because all the [bolded] relevant variables are empirically-based.
So the question is to bring the empirical evidence for verification, justification and testing.
It is an empirical possibility for the above empirical speculation to be real, but the possibility [based on current knowledge] is very low i.e. 0.00000001% possible.

So your original intention, i.e.
it is a problem of equivocation, thus a non-starter.

also consider the alternative explanation,
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

bahman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:32 pm Our minds don't have direct access to reality, whether there is a reality or not, therefore we are living in simulating reality.
hence the requirement of more than one witness

if Fred sees something it could be real or otherwise, if George sees something it could be real or otherwise. but if Fred and George see the same thing, then is it real?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 am
bahman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:20 pm All I want to say is that there is a motion then there is mind. How would you start an argument like that?
It just does not follow.
From your original intention, it is a problem of equivocation, i.e.

if you correct it then it would be,
There is motion [empirical], then there is mind [empirical].

if the above is the argument, then bring the empirical evidence to justify such 'empirical based mind' exist.
No, the second line of argument does not follow.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:14 am
How would you start an argument like that?
Here is one way out for you on this;

There is motion [empirical], then there is a human-like mind [empirical].

The above is an empirical possibility, because we have evidence of existing human minds [empirical].
You can speculate there is a human-like-Mind [or minds] in a location 100 light years away in the universe generating reality for humans on Earth [like the Matrix].
Then you can confirm the above is real by bringing the empirical evidences to justify it is real.

The above is an empirical possibility because all the [bolded] relevant variables are empirically-based.
So the question is to bring the empirical evidence for verification, justification and testing.
It is an empirical possibility for the above empirical speculation to be real, but the possibility [based on current knowledge] is very low i.e. 0.00000001% possible.

So your original intention, i.e.
it is a problem of equivocation, thus a non-starter.

also consider the alternative explanation,
Look, you don't want to say that the time of the big bang and the appearance of humans is the same!?