We are living in simulating reality

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: We are living in simulating reality

Post by Walker »

bahman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:32 pm Our minds don't have direct access to reality, whether there is a reality or not, therefore we are living in simulating reality.
I asked you if something is a problem.

Did you miss the question, or are you just thick?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 pm
Did you watch it or did experience it another way around!? :mrgreen:
I flushed before I alighted, so the existence of the motion is speculative.
As usual, you're talking shit.

Just sayin'.

:lol:
No you are looking in the mirror; my shit comes out of my arse.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 am

Just sayin'.

but but ...my but hole is holier than yours so there :mrgreen:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:32 pm Our minds don't have direct access to reality, whether there is a reality or not, therefore we are living in simulating reality.
I am not sure if simulating reality means something different from a simulation. I am assuming they are the same, just in case this leads to problems. Let me know if I was wrong.

OK.

This assertion, I think, has two interesting problems.
1) How would one know one doesn't have direct knowledge without direct knowledge? Ok, we say that we have indirect knowledge perhaps. But how would we then know that it is ALL merely indirect, since we have no direct access to reality? And if we have no indirect knowledge, or, in this case, you think YOU have no indirect knowledge or direct knowledge, how do you know what we have? IOW let's say you are correct about yourself? How could you possibly know you are correct about us?

2) How did you determine this was true?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 am

Just sayin'.

You make an obvious mistake, however. Your humour, your perceptions, your comprehension, and your apprehension, all of your thoughts are wholly your own, and pertain only to you. Of this, I can assure you. It's akin to those desperate folks who smear shit on walls. One wonders, did those in the cave not far removed so foul their place? Perhaps, only when danger loomed beyond the fire.

The content of your squeaks makes you, shall we say, a curiosity. Inarticulate, yet with a need to articulate. I sympathize with this stage of evolution, and trust that you know of the "no clinging," principle, and how it relates to simulation. Perhaps not in those words but in effect, seeing as how you've likely eaten your ration of shit sandwiches to reach your station in life, shit being your simulated, self-referential point of reference.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 am
You poor thing. There's always hope for such problems.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:49 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 am
You poor thing. There's always hope for such problems.
Like what?

What, you are not about to share your holier than my but hole shit to save a poor wretched thing like me are you. :shock:

Please...no more shit, I'm drowning here....suffer in toxicate me more, if that's what makes your shit shiny. :mrgreen:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Religion is my shit wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 am You make an obvious mistake, however. Your humour, your perceptions, your comprehension, and your apprehension, all of your thoughts are wholly your own, and pertain only to you. Of this, I can assure you. It's akin to those desperate folks who smear shit on walls. One wonders, did those in the cave not far removed so foul their place? Perhaps, only when danger loomed beyond the fire.

The content of your squeaks makes you, shall we say, a curiosity. Inarticulate, yet with a need to articulate. I sympathize with this stage of evolution, and trust that you know of the "no clinging," principle, and how it relates to simulation. Perhaps not in those words but in effect, seeing as how you've likely eaten your ration of shit sandwiches to reach your station in life, shit being your simulated, self-referential point of reference.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Whatever we perceive by our limited perception IS reality. If we are perceiving an abstraction of a prior reality, that we are in a simulation, then Y would we be in this secondary reality?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:34 am
bahman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:49 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:18 am
But there is no motion when there is no humans?
Of course, there is motion in absence of humans.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:45 am Here is a Zen wisdom to note;
  • “The wind was flapping the temple flag.
    Two monks were arguing about it.
    One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving. Arguing back and forth they could not agree on the truth.
    The Sixth Patriarch [Hui Neng] said, ‘It is neither the wind that is moving nor the flag that is moving. It is your mind that is moving’.
    The two monks were struck with awe”

So no minds, no motion.
If you are not familiar with Zen, Zen views of reality are arrived from very deep reflection of reality.
He was right in saying there is no motion when there is no mind but he was wrong in assuming that there are only human minds.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:45 am
What "truth" are you looking for? Absolute unconditional truths? Well they don't exist at all. There is no absolute truth-in-itself.

The most credible truths are from the science (also mathematics) even though they are at best mere polished conjectures. The most reliable truths are 'conjectures!' [polished].

Show me what other truths are more credible than those of science and mathematics?
The critical criteria for any truth is whether they are objective [rationally] and can contribute utility to mankind. Obviously you cannot deny this with scientific knowledge while acknowledging it has limitations as well.
What we are talking about is beyond the domain of science.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:45 am
The brain is basically a physical thing thus do not create nor experiences.
It is the mind that generate hallucinations and experience them in separate functions [surely you are not ignorant of this?].

The human brain has many parts with separate functions so representing the multivariate mind.
Thus a mind [prefrontal cortex activities] can plan to have sex, drugs, entertainment, and the likes to trigger the pleasure center to generate pleasure within the mind.
Mind is not the outcome of brain functions.
An you prove there are other minds other than human minds?

Note definition of what is mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind
To me, mind is an irreducible substance with the ability to experience qualia and cause qualia.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 am
I asked you if something is a problem.

Did you miss the question, or are you just thick?
I think I just missed the question.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am
I am not sure if simulating reality means something different from a simulation. I am assuming they are the same, just in case this leads to problems. Let me know if I was wrong.
By simulating reality I mean the reality that is created in form of qualia by other minds and we experience it.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am OK.

This assertion, I think, has two interesting problems.
1) How would one know one doesn't have direct knowledge without direct knowledge?
We know that we don't have direct access to the color of an object. There is light reflected from the object, then our sensory system comes to play, and then qualia are formed in the brain.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am Ok, we say that we have indirect knowledge perhaps. But how would we then know that it is ALL merely indirect, since we have no direct access to reality?
We know certain things about reality such as the existence of the sensory system.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am And if we have no indirect knowledge, or, in this case, you think YOU have no indirect knowledge or direct knowledge, how do you know what we have?
Actually, there is a shortcut, we experience changes, and anything that changes is contingent (qualia), therefore there is a mind that experiences and creates qualia. The reality is then made of minds and qualia that mind is primary and qualia are due to mind. So we are dealing with idealism where nothing independent of mind exists. Qualia that we experience is either generated by us, such as thought or generated by others. Therefore we are living in simulating reality.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am IOW let's say you are correct about yourself? How could you possibly know you are correct about us?
Others also experience changes.
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 am 2) How did you determine this was true?
What do you mean?
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:27 pm
Whatever we perceive by our limited perception IS reality. If we are perceiving an abstraction of a prior reality, that we are in a simulation, then Y would we be in this secondary reality?
There is one reality that is made of minds and qualia, a sort of idealism. What we experience is created by other minds therefore we are living in simulating reality.
Walker

Post by Walker »

bahman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:42 pm I think I just missed the question.
Interesting. Are you familiar with, paying attention?

One must pay with attention, to know. To know one must perceive. When perception of all within the boundaries of a single thread is difficult, all of course including the perceptive nuances and subtly of some, then navigating the world must be exponentially, moreso on the side of confusing. Perceiving more requires more speed, which requires energy. Eat your spinach and you will know that question marks follow questions, and there ain't that many of them to track down in this tiny world of a thread, Sherlock.

:|

It ain't my thread.

(Always forward ...)
Walker

Post by Walker »

You poor thing. You have the sympathy of the group, which you need.