compatibilism

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

BigMike

Re: compatibilism

Post by BigMike »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:23 pm Over and again, from my frame of mind, the manner in which you note this would seem to be predicated on some measure of free will.
I'm sorry I don't have time to read all your historical posts to find the answer, but what is your "frame of mind"? Would you say, for example, that you are a libertarian, a determinist, a compatibilist, or an indeterminist -- or what?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Big Mike, is Free Will all -or -nothing, or is it possible for a man to have a teeny wee measure of Free Will?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:45 am Big Mike, is Free Will all -or -nothing, or is it possible for a man to have a teeny wee measure of Free Will?

If the latter, do some men get to have a larger measure of F W than other men?
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:45 am Big Mike, is Free Will all -or -nothing, or is it possible for a man to have a teeny wee measure of Free Will?
Free will is an illusion. There is no such thing. There is a will, but it isn't free, nor does it cause us to act. Our will is just our perception of what the brain has decided to do.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"is it possible for a man to have a teeny wee measure of Free Will?"

A man can have a teeny wee, but never can he have 'freewill', Belinda.

You can be free and have some degree of freedom, but you can't 'have' a 'freewill'.

Seriously I'm not mincing words. It's what is meant in classical and contemporary Philosophy with the phrase 'freewill' that has all the problems.

At the same time if we're gonna be sticklers then 'determinism' makes no sense either because nature is not an intentional, purposeful agency and doesn't 'determine' anything. Things cause things, but nothing is 'determined' in advance or planned or purposed.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Big Mike, and Promethean, I agree with you both. I don't believe in Free Will and F W
is not compatible with determinism properly understood.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:05 pm
At the same time if we're gonna be sticklers then 'determinism' makes no sense either because nature is not an intentional, purposeful agency and doesn't 'determine' anything. Things cause things, but nothing is 'determined' in advance or planned or purposed.
Sounds like you're confusing determinism with fate, or something like that. Physical determinism doesn't require purpose, agency, or plans. All it requires are invariant rules and no randomness.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

BigMike wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:52 pm
Free will is an illusion. There is no such thing. There is a will, but it isn't free, nor does it cause us to act. Our will is just our perception of what the brain has decided to do.
You don't think the will might be the brain itself deciding to do things, rather than just the perception of it?
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:09 pm
BigMike wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:52 pm
You don't think the will might be the brain itself deciding to do things, rather than just the perception of it?
That's what I said: the brain decides and executes actions. Will is merely a perception.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

That's not what I said though. I asked if it was not just a perception, but something more
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

The 'will' is not even a perception but is a fanciful word for deciding.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:25 pm The 'will' is not even a perception but is a fanciful word for deciding.
No, the decision has been made prior to your awareness; before it becomes our will.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:19 pm That's not what I said though. I asked if it was not just a perception, but something more
What are you referring to by the word "it"? The will? The brain's decision? The brain's decision-making?
The brain's decision-making, in my view, is physical. It is neuronal signals (electric action potential) flowing through the brain's neural network and ultimately stimulate muscles and glands. The "will" is merely an observer of this process; it does not control it. Therefore, the "will" does not govern your actions.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

BigMike wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:59 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:19 pm That's not what I said though. I asked if it was not just a perception, but something more
What are you referring to by the word "it"? The will? The brain's decision? The brain's decision-making?
The brain's decision-making, in my view, is physical. It is neuronal signals (electric action potential) flowing through the brain's neural network and ultimately stimulate muscles and glands. The "will" is merely an observer of this process; it does not control it. Therefore, the "will" does not govern your actions.
If you think there's an observer, I don't know why you would name it "the will" instead of just calling it an observer. Seems contrary to how "will" as a word is generally used.

Since you believe there's processes in the brain that do make decisions, that do govern our actions, THAT is what should rightfully be called the will.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

BigMike wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:45 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:25 pm The 'will' is not even a perception but is a fanciful word for deciding.
No, the decision has been made prior to your awareness; before it becomes our will.
Yes,I forgot that.