compatibilism

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: compatibilism

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 am
Well, given my own understanding of determinism, even if Mary thought that she was having difficulty making up her mind there was never any possibility of her not having thought that. She would weigh only what the laws of matter compelled her to weigh. And outside factors, like the factors inside her head, would be inherently/necessarily intertwined in the only possible reality. All things always being equal to the laws of matter.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm That is what I said.
So, are you also saying that I was never able to not type these words here and now and that you were never able to not read them here and now?

That understanding of determinism?
Even speculation on our part in regard to randomness is not in the least random. It is merely what the laws of matter propel our brains to think up.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm In my view what we think of as random is just unpredictable due to lack of information.
But even if it makes sense what people talk about Quanum randomness, this cannot advance a claim of radical free will.
My instinct tells me that all QM phenomena are due to a misunderstanding and lack of knowledge.
Now, in my view, your view here was immutably set into motion going all the way back to what brought into existence matter and its laws. No other view was even possible.
Only I am no less able to demonstrate that definitively than you are able to demonstrate what you believe definitively. It's just what we were never able to not "think up" "in our heads" given the only possible reality in the only possible world.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm This bit seems confused.
It has to be, given the gap between what any particular one of us thinks we know about how mindless matter evolved into mindful [living matter] here on planet Earth evolving into us, and all that there actually is to know about it. How do we begin to wrap our mind around that, even assuming some measure of free will?
We're all stuck there until someone finally resolves it once and for all. And it's already been literally thousands of years now since this particular antinomy first occurred to someone.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmIt is no antinomy at all.
Determinism rocks. Free will just means not being pushed around by any one .
Not that you were ever able to not note this given that nature itself pushes you around from the cradle to the grave.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:59 pm
Well, given my own understanding of determinism, even if Mary thought that she was having difficulty making up her mind there was never any possibility of her not having thought that. She would weigh only what the laws of matter compelled her to weigh. And outside factors, like the factors inside her head, would be inherently/necessarily intertwined in the only possible reality. All things always being equal to the laws of matter.
So, are you also saying that I was never able to not type these words here and now and that you were never able to not read them here and now?
No. Never is a long time. And no one likes double negatives.
I am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.

That understanding of determinism?
Even speculation on our part in regard to randomness is not in the least random. It is merely what the laws of matter propel our brains to think up.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm In my view what we think of as random is just unpredictable due to lack of information.
But even if it makes sense what people talk about Quanum randomness, this cannot advance a claim of radical free will.
My instinct tells me that all QM phenomena are due to a misunderstanding and lack of knowledge.
Now, in my view, your view here was immutably set into motion going all the way back to what brought into existence matter and its laws. No other view was even possible.
Other views are possible from other people.
Other views were possible from me before I knew what was meant by determinism.
Other views are determined by other conditions.
Only I am no less able to demonstrate that definitively than you are able to demonstrate what you believe definitively. It's just what we were never able to not "think up" "in our heads" given the only possible reality in the only possible world.
It has to be, given the gap between what any particular one of us thinks we know about how mindless matter evolved into mindful [living matter] here on planet Earth evolving into us, and all that there actually is to know about it. How do we begin to wrap our mind around that, even assuming some measure of free will?
We're all stuck there until someone finally resolves it once and for all. And it's already been literally thousands of years now since this particular antinomy first occurred to someone.
Not that you were ever able to not note this given that nature itself pushes you around from the cradle to the grave.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:23 pmI am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.
I tend to agree.
Let's say hypothetically, that there was a 'being' that put things in motion, this first cause I keep hearing about - and that being was capable of being aware of every effect from that first cause, based on what you state, then that being would be aware of ALL of our next conscious decisions and the affect each decision that will play out to further effects, would you agree with that (even though an absurd conception hypothetically)?

I think that being would be rather bored if sentient!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:32 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:23 pmI am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.
I tend to agree.
Let's say hypothetically, that there was a 'being' that put things in motion, this first cause I keep hearing about - and that being was capable of being aware of every effect from that first cause, based on what you state, then that being would be aware of ALL of our next conscious decisions and the affect each decision that will play out to further effects, would you agree with that (even though an absurd conception hypothetically)?

If such a being existed he would know even before I was born that I would never believe in him and die a sinner.
IN fact he would have designed the world such that I was determined from the beginning of time to go to hell.
SO much for salvation.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:36 pm
I tend to agree.

If such a being existed he would know even before I was born that I would never believe in him and die a sinner.
IN fact he would have designed the world such that I was determined from the beginning of time to go to hell.
SO much for salvation.
That wasn't the hypothetical being I had in mind...I think you are getting confused with some entity referred to as God??
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:44 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:36 pm

I tend to agree.

SO much for salvation.
That wasn't the hypothetical being I had in mind...I think you are getting confused with some entity referred to as God??
Take your pick.
Such beings are just just imagination
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:11 pm ...science starts with the assumption that in the either/or world, certain correlations between matter seem to stand the test of time. They may not have pinned down an ontological -- teleological? -- understanding of cause and effect, but there are material interactions/relationships that are certain enough to send astronauts to the moon, or to create the technologies all around us, or to accomplish astounding engineering feats, or to sustain centuries old conclusions drawn by physicists, chemists, biologists and the like.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Right. But as it turns out, all that "objective" knowledge is once again probabilstic knowledge, not absolute knowledge. Yet, even for purposes like getting to the moon, it's good-enough knowledge.
Yes, I agree. Until we can understand why this particular existence exists and not some other existence -- or no existence at all -- we are forever grappling with the difference between correlation and cause and effect.

After all, consider this:

"It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe." Nasa
...my inability to grasp the point of the compatibilists. Those who "in their heads" reconcile determinism with moral responsibility. That simply doesn't make sense to me. But I am more than willing to acknowledge this may revolve around me...my own failure to grasp their point.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Well, they're hung up between two things: they see the sort of "formal elegance" of Determinism, and that it seems to answer so many questions that cause them anxiety; at the same time, they can't escape the fact that everything in our existential experience requires that we practice a belief in free will.

Not able to reconcile the two, but not wanting to lose either, they opt for a kind of "train tracks" model...two ideas that never meet, receding into eternity, but somehow are supposed to convey the truth on their back. Affirm both, plead to mystery, and somehow things are supposed to work out.

But Compatibilism is really always one or the other, when you dig down, it seems. It's always either a commitment to total Determinism glossed over by the irrelevant observation that we human beings are unconscious of the deep fact of Determination, or else the mistake that a partial Determinism is possible -- like, "Scientific laws are determined, but human behaviour is not all determined."

Of course, in neither form does Compatibilism make sense.
But then compatibilists make sense of things...differently. It's just particularly surreal when you conclude that "differently" in a wholly determined universe is interchangeable with thinking exactly the same way. But who or what is "behind it"...the teleological component of existence. If there even is one.
Yes, even here there are many different reactions any particular one of us might have. Perhaps it then comes down to how close you are to death itself. If it's right around the corner then it can hit you that you will go to the grave utterly ignorant of "what it all means". Or if you are convinced "I" is sustained on "the other side", you can convince yourself you will find the answer then.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmBut why be reconciled to either of those choices? Why not simply say, "There's something about this I don't presently grasp; let's keep thinking about it?" Why would we feel obliged to go the further step of believing the answers are just hopelessly beyond mortal grasp?
Well, for some, the more science reveals about the staggering mysteries embedded in the very, very large and the very, very small the more utterly insignificant "I" becomes. It's not a question of being obliged, but of how, given the life they've lived, they have -- existentially, subjectively -- come to feel more exasperated about the "not knowing" than others. Especially if they have thought themselves into believing death = oblivion.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmIn fact, does not the latter strike you as a rather unscientific and anti-educational way to jump to a conclusion? After all, that somebody does not know something today gives us no reason to suppose he won't tomorrow. And science and education both presume he might.
All the science and education in the world will be of little relevance [for some] when death is literally right around the corner. You'll die...for what? You will have lived...for what?

But, again, frames of mind like this for me are profoundly rooted in dasein. And have little to do with attempts to pin down the most reasonable way in which to think about it.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 amAs I said earlier, nobody is able to live like a Determinist. Nobody. Not the most ardent Determinist. We all get up and behave as if we have options, and that our choices matter, and that they are our own, and that we have to consider "possibilities" of things happening. We don't just put our feet on the floor in the morning, and sigh, and say, "Que sera, sera." We get up and make choices.

The Existentialists, particularly Kierkegaard, really got this bit right.
Okay, but, again, how we live in a wholly determined universe from my frame of mind is the only possible way in which we could have lived.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Well, that's a kind of "Compatibiist-style" question, isn't it? It takes for granted that the universe (for some reason, the Material or the metaphysical) just HAS to be Determined, and then tries to carve back some place for questions like "how we [can choose to] live."

The problem, then, is in the framing of the question; and that there cannot be an answer to it is purely an effect of the pre-existing commitment to believing in Determinism.
From my frame of mind, taking things for granted [by any of us] was, is and ever will what can/must be taken for granted in the only possible world. All questions and all answers were the only possible questions and answers. It's when the compatibilists attempt to reconcile this with human responsibility that I am perplexed.

If the human brain is just more matter in sync with immutable laws of matter, the mystery still revolves around how "on Earth" that was even possible.

Thus [for me]:
And that includes how we think about it. That we convince ourselves that what may be may well not be if we opt for something else doesn't change the fact that it will be what it can only be. We have no option other than to delude ourselves that we do have other options.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmBut if the universe were really predetermined, then how is it that we don't know it is? What sort of odd "predetermined" effect has the "predetermined" universe thrown up, that human beings all, universally, act as if Determinism isn't true, even though it is? :shock:
Well, this too is subsumed in the assumptions that I make regarding determinism. Then back to the part where I flat out admit the problem here may well be my own inability to grasp your point or the point of the compatibilists. But then I think myself into believing that I was never able not to think here other than as I do...so I'm off the hook?
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmDo you see how bizarre that framing of the world is? In that version of things, there are all these creatures who (presumably) are predetermined to live and die as they do, unconscious of the fact of Determinism; then there's this one creature -- man -- who, for some reason we can't begin to explain, has to live entirely as if the fact Determinism were factually false. :shock:

How do we make sense of that?
In precisely the manner in which everything that we think, feel, say and do unfolds...in the only manner that it ever could unfold.

From my frame of mind, once you conclude that the human brain is just "more matter", then you are compelled to marvel at just how lifeless/mindless matter itself could evolve into us. Or you are compelled to insist that you could have opted to conclude something else. But nothing is not compelled given my own understanding of determinism.

Then I go back to dreams. To all of the astonishing "realities" my own brain "creates" night after night. Each morning my mind is simply boggled at what I "experienced" in those dreams. How extraordinarily elaborate and detailed those "experiences" were. And yet none of it really happened at all other than by way of my brain itself.
And Kierkegaard not only took a leap of faith to God but a leap of faith to the assumption that his leap of faith to God was an actual option.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm That's true, of course. But there are leaps of unwarranted faith, and warranted leaps of faith; and we don't do well to overlap the two in our thinking.
Again, given my own assumptions here, warranted and unwarranted leaps of faith are entirely interchangeable to nature. It is our brain that creates the illusion that this distinction itself is...warranted. Science is no exception. If Nasa was never able not to send a rocket to the Moon, the scientists/engineers that accomplished it are just along for the ride.

Same with pixies. Same with everything once you conclude that nothing is not unfolding other than as it must given the laws of matter. Then the mystery about why there is matter at all...and why this matter with these laws.

The part where our brains are then hard-wired to invent Gods to explain it.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmThe problem, then, is not that Kierkegaard called for faith -- for we all, even the most rigourous and scientific of us, use faith all the time. The question is, on what basis was that faith called for? Was it called for on mere superstition, or on the basis of good reasons and maybe even empirical facts?
Here, though, from my frame of mind, is the assumption that human beings are in fact free to opt for either science or superstition. Faith or facts.

But what if that all is just a manifestation of the psychological illusion that nature "somehow" embodied in the human brain?

Believing, not believing...knowing, not knowing. Just the brain doing its thing in the only possible world.

Why?

Now that's the "final question". And the "final answer" to it will, perhaps, among other things, allow us to determine if our own individual lives may well be essentially meaningful and purposeful.

Or essentially meaningless and purposeless. But one utterly insignificant component in what some call "the brute facticity" of existence. Then the part where you are inches from the grave, desperate for a "final answer" that will just never be.
We are compelled only to believe that we are condemned to be free. Sartre was no less himself reciting "lines" that nature "scripted".
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmThat's the unfalsifiabillity of Determinism. It explains everything away, but explains the reason for nothing. Why was Sarte so inclined to believe in free will when others were not? He was predetermined to do so, comes back the answer.
And that may will be the answer. But any and all answers are never not going be something else.

How Sartre thought about anything is moot if if he was never able to think otherwise about everything.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmAnd we want people to attribute our views to us, too...You wouldn't want me to turn around and say, "My friend iambiguous" is only a Determinist because material causes made him that, not because his view is rational," would you? I think you would rightly rebuke me for being reductional. You would say, "No, no, IC...I've thought about this carefully, reasoned it out, and decided that Determinism is the most likely option."
Back to Schopenhauer...

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills. You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want."

Again, given my own understanding of "hard determinism", nothing that is unfolding in this exchange itself could ever have been other than what it must be.

And if we click our tongue and turn away in disgust at anything, well, "que sera sera".
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 amSo, are you also saying that I was never able to not type these words here and now and that you were never able to not read them here and now?
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmNo. Never is a long time. And no one likes double negatives.
Well, given my own understanding of determinism -- and that's all it is an intellectual contraption predicated on particular assumptions, just like yours -- never is the word the laws of nature compelled me to "choose". And, in discussing determinism, double negatives are particularly effective. It's not what we do think, feel, say and do, but what we were never able not to think, feel, say and do.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmI am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.
As I am now compelled to read yours. And to not do something else. So you are saying what you could only say in the only possible world. On the other hand, if there are parallel universes where actual human autonomy exists, rather than type these words I might have chosen to do something altogether different.

But then my argument shifts to the assumption that even given free will in the is/ought world, no behaviors that we choose are necessarily right or wrong in the absence of God.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmOther views are possible from other people.
No other views and no other conditions were possible if the human brain is wholly in sync with the laws of matter. No matter where this discussion goes and no matter what points are rasied in it by either one us, it was never going to unfold other than how it must in the only possible world.

I just have absolutely no capacity to actually demonstrate it. Because, if my own assumptions are correct, that capacity was never going to exist in the first place.

Then around and around I am either compelled to go by a brain wholly in sync with the laws of matter or, instead, not compelled to go but, in having free will, I am not smart enough to grasp the actual truth which is other than what, "in my head", I think it is here and now.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:36 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmI am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.
As I am now compelled to read yours. And to not do something else. So you are saying what you could only say in the only possible world. On the other hand, if there are parallel universes where actual human autonomy exists, rather than type these words I might have chosen to do something altogether different.
Such a universe exists. You have automony as you are not externally compelled. Not one is making you read this, your automony chose that for you. That is determinism. Autonomy, like free will is compatible with determinism.

But then my argument shifts to the assumption that even given free will in the is/ought world, no behaviors that we choose are necessarily right or wrong in the absence of God.
I do not see what difference the existence of god makes. That is just another set of contradictions. An omnipotent being has to have know since the beginning of time what you are going to do. That pretty much negates any meaning to salvation, and redemption.
I have no problem with that. But since no one could know what that would , who cares?
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmOther views are possible from other people.
No other views and no other conditions were possible if the human brain is wholly in sync with the laws of matter. No matter where this discussion goes and no matter what points are rasied in it by either one us, it was never going to unfold other than how it must in the only possible world.
ffs
People have other views, does not mean they make sense. If the an emoji for a slapping head?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:45 pm "It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe." Nasa
Yep. That's interesting.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Of course, in neither form does Compatibilism make sense.
But then compatibilists make sense of things...differently.
That's my point: they don't "make sense" of them; they "make nonsense" of them.

You see, free will can easily accept and incorporate the existence of material causality. There's nothing inconsistent in a person saying, "I believe rocks fall and storms happen by pure material causality, but human beings are special, and have volition, identity and choice." That's perfectly logical. But once we opt for Determinism, there can be no thought of free will again. That's because Determinism is an absolute belief; it's whole cachet is that it purports to explain everything, not just some things.

And this brings me to something that is both a significant attraction of Determinism and one of the biggest evidences of its faults at the same time: it's utterly unfalsifiable.

If you know a little about the philosopher of science Karl Popper, you may recall that he pointed out that this is one of the features we expect of an authentically scientific theory: that there have to be some terms, some way, in which, if untrue, it can be shown to be false. And thus, when it turns out to be true, we have reason to trust the theory, because it could have been otherwise, but was not. But if a theory is utterly unfalsifiable, what it means is that it cannot be tested scientifically. And then we have no way of knowing whether or not we can trust it.

Determinism is like that: one can believe in it because one wants to, but one cannot find a test that would suffice to show it wrong. And we might think that means it must be right; but Popper shows why it does not. What it means, instead, is we have on hand an unscientific theory, a belief that can never be proved or disproved. So the only way to hold it will be to believe it on no sufficient evidence at all.
...the teleological component of existence. If there even is one.
That's an interesting speculation. Why would a universe that had arisen by pure accident and developed through nothing put physical-material causes have a "teleology"? :shock: Teleology implies intention, direction, purpose and goal. How can we speak of the indifferent universe as "intending" us to do or become anything in particular at all? :shock:
Yes, even here there are many different reactions any particular one of us might have. Perhaps it then comes down to how close you are to death itself. If it's right around the corner then it can hit you that you will go to the grave utterly ignorant of "what it all means". Or if you are convinced "I" is sustained on "the other side", you can convince yourself you will find the answer then.
Maybe. But what if the here-and-now HAS a teleological purpose? What if the "now" is actually a preparation for the "then"? What if the condition of the "then" is set by the "now"?

In such a case, marching to the grave in the hope of finding out something later is probably a rather unfortunate strategy, isn't it?
..for some, the more science reveals about the staggering mysteries embedded in the very, very large and the very, very small the more utterly insignificant "I" becomes.
I get that. But think of it another way.

Suppose you're standing on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. Perhaps it makes you weep to think of the vast expanses and depths it must contain, because you are a mere mortal, and have no chance of ever exploring it to its utmost. You think of all the sea creatures that might be there, but you'll never see...the sunsets on the edge of the Caribbean, the ice caps of the polar North, the whole length of the Gulf Stream, and so on. You will never know the Atlantic Ocean, if "know" means "know everything."

Still, with almost no effort, you can bend down, and scoop a cup of water. And in that cup will be a genuine part of the real Atlantic Ocean, one that you can know very fully with very little effort. Your understanding will be genuine, and can even go down to the microscopic level, if you want. You can know all kinds of things about parts of the Atlantic Ocean, in fact; and all of it will be valid knowledge.

So why should we despair about all we cannot know, when there are things we can?
All the science and education in the world will be of little relevance [for some] when death is literally right around the corner. You'll die...for what? You will have lived...for what?
Ah, yes...this is the great question.

And if the answer is that you and I merely go to the grave and become food for worms (as Shakespeare so poignatly put it), then there is no point at all. But I say again: what if the "now" is a preparation for the "then"?
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 amAs I said earlier, nobody is able to live like a Determinist. Nobody. Not the most ardent Determinist. We all get up and behave as if we have options, and that our choices matter, and that they are our own, and that we have to consider "possibilities" of things happening. We don't just put our feet on the floor in the morning, and sigh, and say, "Que sera, sera." We get up and make choices.

Okay, but, again, how we live in a wholly determined universe from my frame of mind is the only possible way in which we could have lived.
And yet, tomorrow morning, you will get up and brush your own teeth. You won't feel like you're waiting for the universe to just do it for you. And you'll dress yourself, and you'll go to work, or to some other activity, one you'll feel like you have chosen. And you'll choose your meals, and you'll select your words in conversation and print...and in none of them will you just resign yourself and say, "It doesn't matter what I do; it's all fated anyway."

Look at what you're doing right now: talking about Determinism. But why talk? If it's all fate, we can't change anything by talking. Your mind is what it is because of universal causality; mine is what it is also because of universal causality. Why discuss? Why persuade? In even attempting such things, we are evincing our disbelief in Determinism.

And that's the point I want to push hard: nobody lives like a Determinist. Nobody. Nobody in the entire history of the world, to my knowledge. And the fact that we don't should be a persistent "stone in the shoe" of anybody who argues for Determinism.

I think we ought to take that fact seriously; don't you?

If the human brain is just more matter in sync with immutable laws of matter, the mystery still revolves around how "on Earth" that was even possible.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmBut if the universe were really predetermined, then how is it that we don't know it is? What sort of odd "predetermined" effect has the "predetermined" universe thrown up, that human beings all, universally, act as if Determinism isn't true, even though it is? :shock:
Well, this too is subsumed in the assumptions that I make regarding determinism.

I know this is how one argues the other side: but as I pointed out, the problem is that it's an unfalsifiable way to argue. But unfalsifiablilty doesn't make a theory true; it just makes it impossible to test scientifically, and thus, believable only on the most gratutious sort of faith.
Then back to the part where I flat out admit the problem here may well be my own inability to grasp your point or the point of the compatibilists. But then I think myself into believing that I was never able not to think here other than as I do...so I'm off the hook?
Then why are you thinking at all? After all, to "think" is to process mentally; but Determinism says that mental states are a sort of "dumb terminal" in the chain of causal events. Thinking doesn't change things, according to Determinism; it's just a very odd and Deterministically-inexplicable "epiphenomenon," an odd side effect of living in a strictly physical-material causal matrix.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmDo you see how bizarre that framing of the world is? In that version of things, there are all these creatures who (presumably) are predetermined to live and die as they do, unconscious of the fact of Determinism; then there's this one creature -- man -- who, for some reason we can't begin to explain, has to live entirely as if the fact Determinism were factually false. :shock:

In precisely the manner in which everything that we think, feel, say and do unfolds...in the only manner that it ever could unfold.
That's not a good answer: that's just a misunderstanding of the question, really. The question is really this: how would a physical-material causal universe "decide" to create creatures that think Determinism, the ironclad law of the universe itself, is untrue? :shock:

That looks very odd. And it does cry out for some kind of better explanation than to say, "Well, that's just the way it went."
From my frame of mind, once you conclude that the human brain is just "more matter", then you are compelled to marvel at just how lifeless/mindless matter itself could evolve into us. Or you are compelled to insist that you could have opted to conclude something else. But nothing is not compelled given my own understanding of determinism.
Right. I get that.
Then I go back to dreams. To all of the astonishing "realities" my own brain "creates" night after night. Each morning my mind is simply boggled at what I "experienced" in those dreams. How extraordinarily elaborate and detailed those "experiences" were. And yet none of it really happened at all other than by way of my brain itself.
That's odd, isn't it? I agree.

And messier than that is the fact that you think and feel as though you had real "experiences" and "decisions" and "choices" in your waking life, when really, according to Determinism, you never actually had any such things. :shock:

Is all life just us sleepwalking through a Determinist matrix, dreaming that we are doing something here? :shock:

But that's pretty counterintuitive, if nothing else.
The part where our brains are then hard-wired to invent Gods to explain it.
That's an even weirder, less plausible explanation. It goes, "The physical-material universe hard-wired us into not only not living as if Determinism is even true, but also somehow made us think about God, an entity that bears no relation to the physical-material causal universe, according to secular Determinism."

That's a kind of explanation that starts to look desperate, strained and even myopic. It seems to be doing less "explaining" than "explaining away" as fast as it can.
Here, though, from my frame of mind, is the assumption that human beings are in fact free to opt for either science or superstition. Faith or facts.
That's a false dichotomy, though.

It's easy to remember, but it oversimplifies the case drastically. As Michael Polanyi so expertly showed faith is involved in science, and science in faith. They are co-participants, not opposites. And neither is absolute, but both are probabilistic in nature.
Why? Now that's the "final question". And the "final answer" to it will, perhaps, among other things, allow us to determine if our own individual lives may well be essentially meaningful and purposeful.
Yep. True enough.

It's good talking to you. You're a reflective and interesting person.

Too bad it's not really you -- it's just the "noise" the universe was predestined to generate at this particular juncture in time. :wink:
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"And this brings me to something that is both a significant attraction of Determinism and one of the biggest evidences of its faults at the same time: it's utterly unfalsifiable."

Holy cannoli, did I just see a Christian say something about unfalsifiabilty?

Yo you guys are like regular gangstas of philosophy and logic. You use what you need, when you need it, where you need it, and answer to noone.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Of course, in neither form does Compatibilism make sense.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmThat's my point: they don't "make sense" of them; they "make nonsense" of them.
Yes, but only presuming that we do have free will, where sense and nonsense can be differentiated. Where logic is applicable.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmBut once we opt for Determinism, there can be no thought of free will again. That's because Determinism is an absolute belief; it's whole cachet is that it purports to explain everything, not just some things.
In other words, we opt for determinism because we are compelled by the laws of nature to. Just as others opt for free will and compatibilism. Reason itself in the human brain is just another manifestation of material interaction. Same laws as in the rocks falling and the storm gathering...but different. We just don't know how or why this difference occurred given the evolution of lifeless matter into living matter.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmAnd this brings me to something that is both a significant attraction of Determinism and one of the biggest evidences of its faults at the same time: it's utterly unfalsifiable.

If you know a little about the philosopher of science Karl Popper, you may recall that he pointed out that this is one of the features we expect of an authentically scientific theory: that there have to be some terms, some way, in which, if untrue, it can be shown to be false. And thus, when it turns out to be true, we have reason to trust the theory, because it could have been otherwise, but was not. But if a theory is utterly unfalsifiable, what it means is that it cannot be tested scientifically. And then we have no way of knowing whether or not we can trust it.

Determinism is like that: one can believe in it because one wants to, but one cannot find a test that would suffice to show it wrong. And we might think that means it must be right; but Popper shows why it does not. What it means, instead, is we have on hand an unscientific theory, a belief that can never be proved or disproved. So the only way to hold it will be to believe it on no sufficient evidence at all.
Here though, given determinism as my brain may or may not be compelled by the laws of nature to understand it, verification and falsification are just along for the ride as well. Even if particular neuroscientists hold a press conference some day and announce to the world they have verifiable evidence to prove free wiil does in fact exist, that too may well be entirely in sync with the only possible reality.

That's where [to me] we seem always stuck. Brains attempting to explain brains given the gap between the "human condition" and an understanding of existence itself.

Then [admittedly] back again to my own inability to think this through correctly given free will.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmThat's an interesting speculation. Why would a universe that had arisen by pure accident and developed through nothing put physical-material causes have a "teleology"? :shock: Teleology implies intention, direction, purpose and goal. How can we speak of the indifferent universe as "intending" us to do or become anything in particular at all? :shock:
That's where some [compelled or not] argue for God. God the uncaused entity.

And of course these: "What if?"
..for some, the more science reveals about the staggering mysteries embedded in the very, very large and the very, very small the more utterly insignificant "I" becomes.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm I get that. But think of it another way.

Suppose you're standing on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. Perhaps it makes you weep to think of the vast expanses and depths it must contain, because you are a mere mortal, and have no chance of ever exploring it to its utmost. You think of all the sea creatures that might be there, but you'll never see...the sunsets on the edge of the Caribbean, the ice caps of the polar North, the whole length of the Gulf Stream, and so on. You will never know the Atlantic Ocean, if "know" means "know everything."

Still, with almost no effort, you can bend down, and scoop a cup of water. And in that cup will be a genuine part of the real Atlantic Ocean, one that you can know very fully with very little effort. Your understanding will be genuine, and can even go down to the microscopic level, if you want. You can know all kinds of things about parts of the Atlantic Ocean, in fact; and all of it will be valid knowledge.

So why should we despair about all we cannot know, when there are things we can?
Yes, but this is what I call an "intellectual prejudice" or a "philosophical prejudice" or, for some, a "spiritual prejudice" rooted in dasein. You live a particular life and the accumulated experiences encompassing it conflate into subjective/subjunctive "frames of mind" like this.

What would occur to me standing at the edge of an ocean is how both the ocean and I are embedded in the staggering enormity of "all there is".

Consider:

"Light travels at approximately 186,000 miles a second. That is about 6,000,000,000,000 miles a year.
The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It is 4.75 light-years away. 28,500,000,000,000 miles.
So, traveling at 186,000 miles a second, it would take us 4.75 years to reach it. The voyager spacecraft [just now exiting our solar system] will take 70,000 years to reach it.
To reach the center of the Milky Way galaxy it would take 100,000 light-years.
Or consider this:
"To get to the closest galaxy to ours, the Canis Major Dwarf, at Voyager's speed, it would take approximately 749,000,000 years to travel the distance of 25,000 light years! If we could travel at the speed of light, it would still take 25,000 years!"
The Andromeda galaxy is 2.537 million light years away." Nasa

But that's just me. A mind, given free will, that has lived a life predisposing me here and now not to see the glass half empty but fallen to the floor and shattered into pieces. Given the "brute facticity" of an essentially meaningless and purposeless existence, "I" am just getting closer and closer to oblivion itself.

And what now separates me from this despair are the "distractions" I still have that bring me at least some measure of fulfillment: music, film, books.

So, given this, determinism is one possible way to subsume it all in the "inevitable".

Thus...
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Ah, yes...this is the great question.

And if the answer is that you and I merely go to the grave and become food for worms (as Shakespeare so poignatly put it), then there is no point at all. But I say again: what if the "now" is a preparation for the "then"?
Yes, "what if?"

And then...
"what if we know that it is?"
"what if we could know what it is?"

Instead, it really comes down to the "set of circumstances" we find ourselves in. Favorable or unfavorable. This and, given free will, the options we have.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 am As I said earlier, nobody is able to live like a Determinist. Nobody. Not the most ardent Determinist. We all get up and behave as if we have options, and that our choices matter, and that they are our own, and that we have to consider "possibilities" of things happening. We don't just put our feet on the floor in the morning, and sigh, and say, "Que sera, sera." We get up and make choices.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 am And yet, tomorrow morning, you will get up and brush your own teeth. You won't feel like you're waiting for the universe to just do it for you. And you'll dress yourself, and you'll go to work, or to some other activity, one you'll feel like you have chosen. And you'll choose your meals, and you'll select your words in conversation and print...and in none of them will you just resign yourself and say, "It doesn't matter what I do; it's all fated anyway."

Look at what you're doing right now: talking about Determinism. But why talk? If it's all fate, we can't change anything by talking. Your mind is what it is because of universal causality; mine is what it is also because of universal causality. Why discuss? Why persuade? In even attempting such things, we are evincing our disbelief in Determinism.

And that's the point I want to push hard: nobody lives like a Determinist. Nobody. Nobody in the entire history of the world, to my knowledge. And the fact that we don't should be a persistent "stone in the shoe" of anybody who argues for Determinism.

I think we ought to take that fact seriously; don't you?

For me though, I'm back to this...

"Yes, but this is what I call an 'intellectual prejudice' or a 'philosophical prejudice' or, for some, a 'spiritual prejudice' rooted in dasein. You live a particular life and the accumulated experiences encompassing it conflate into subjective/subjunctive 'frames of mind' like this."

My own frame of mind, given my own "set of circumstances" is far grimmer.
Then back to the part where I flat out admit the problem here may well be my own inability to grasp your point or the point of the compatibilists. But then I think myself into believing that I was never able not to think here other than as I do...so I'm off the hook?
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 am Then why are you thinking at all? After all, to "think" is to process mentally; but Determinism says that mental states are a sort of "dumb terminal" in the chain of causal events. Thinking doesn't change things, according to Determinism; it's just a very odd and Deterministically-inexplicable "epiphenomenon," an odd side effect of living in a strictly physical-material causal matrix.
But I, like you, have no way to determine if what I think here is ever really an autonomous option. And, given free will, the complexities that must be embedded in situating the "human condition" in "all there is" would seem to be such that it's no wonder that many see philosophy itself here as, ultimately, an utterly futile endeavor. Better to, as you say, just go about the business of living your life as though you have free will.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 am That's not a good answer: that's just a misunderstanding of the question, really. The question is really this: how would a physical-material causal universe "decide" to create creatures that think Determinism, the ironclad law of the universe itself, is untrue? :shock:

That looks very odd. And it does cry out for some kind of better explanation than to say, "Well, that's just the way it went."
On the other hand, given determinism as I do understand it here and now, it is the only answer in the only possible world. I cannot answer it any other way until the laws of nature compel me to. Same with your question.

Whatever that means?

What on Earth can be odd if everything on Earth unfolds solely in accordance with how everything unfolds throughout the entire universe. Or multiverse?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pm
I am saying that at that precise moment that you type those word you were determined to do exactly that. ANd if the EXACT same conditions applied in a parallel universe you would have typed exactly the same words. You chose those words at that moment as you were determined by cause and effect to do exactly that.
iambiguous wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:36 pmAs I am now compelled to read yours. And to not do something else. So you are saying what you could only say in the only possible world. On the other hand, if there are parallel universes where actual human autonomy exists, rather than type these words I might have chosen to do something altogether different.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmSuch a universe exists. You have autonomy as you are not externally compelled. Not one is making you read this, your autonomy chose that for you. That is determinism. Autonomy, like free will is compatible with determinism.
Given free will, this might make sense to you but not to me. My autonomy chose that? Again, that distinction some make between external and internal causality. Whereas, given determinism as I may or may not be compelled by a brain wholly in sync with the laws of matter to think about it, this distinction is just another illusion embodied in human psychology that, in turn, is just along for nature's ride.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmI do not see what difference the existence of god makes. That is just another set of contradictions. An omnipotent being has to have know since the beginning of time what you are going to do. That pretty much negates any meaning to salvation, and redemption.
Yes, but the religious folks merely assume that with an almighty God, omniscience and free will are "somehow" just compatible. Just as [to me] the compatibilists just assume that "somehow" determinism is compatible with moral responsibility.

And I'm not arguing that they are wrong, only that "here and now" their arguments make no sense to me.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmI have no problem with that.
Which just makes your frame of mind all the more confusing to me.
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmBut since no one could know what that would , who cares?
Here, to me, that is analogous to a Christian arguing that since no one can either verify or falsify the existence of their God, who cares?

Or someone arguing that since we don't/can't understanding how or why lifeless matter evolved into living matter evolved in conscious matter evolved into self-conscious matter evolved into self-conscious matter evolved into individuals defending or condemning abortion, who cares?
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:28 pmffs
People have other views, does not mean they make sense.
Which, of course, is precisely what others can suggest about your own views.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Yes, but only presuming that we do have free will, where sense and nonsense can be differentiated. Where logic is applicable.
Well, true: in a non-God world, both sense and nonsense are just phenomena, just "things that happen," like everything else.

Of course, science can't survive a regime like that: because science assumes there are "good" and "bad" or "right" and "wrong," or "better" and "worse" answers...all terms that mean nothing if Determinism is true. They're all just incidental phenomena.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmBut once we opt for Determinism, there can be no thought of free will again. That's because Determinism is an absolute belief; it's whole cachet is that it purports to explain everything, not just some things.
In other words, we opt for determinism because we are compelled by the laws of nature to.
No, not at all. I definitely did not mean that.

Laws of nature are no problem for free will, so long as we suppose that not everything is explained with reference to nothing but laws of nature. A person can rationally believe that, say, thunderstorms are nothing but the result of natural laws, but that human choices can (at least sometimes) be volitional, not merely a product of natural causes.

And furthermore, the "laws of nature" have no "opinion" whatsoever about what we believe. They don't "care" if we believe in Determinism or in free will. They don't "care" at all, in fact. So they don't "compel" any beliefs. So far as we know, the laws of nature would be just as happy for us to believe true things or untrue things.
verification and falsification are just along for the ride as well.
No, only when we look at them merely phenomenologically. If we're trying to choose a theory that's scientific, then they rule out a theory like Determinism. It will never be, and can never be, scientific, because it cannot be falsified.
Even if particular neuroscientists hold a press conference some day and announce to the world they have verifiable evidence to prove free wiil does in fact exist, that too may well be entirely in sync with the only possible reality.
There it is! Since there are no conditions under which Determinism could ever be even potentially shown false, it can never be established on any scientific basis that it's true either.

It's a dead theory, so far a science is concerned. Science can't help us with it.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pmThat's an interesting speculation. Why would a universe that had arisen by pure accident and developed through nothing put physical-material causes have a "teleology"? :shock: Teleology implies intention, direction, purpose and goal. How can we speak of the indifferent universe as "intending" us to do or become anything in particular at all? :shock:
That's where some [compelled or not] argue for God. God the uncaused entity.
Well, if one insists the universe has a teleology, how is one going to explain that? What agency put meaning, direction or purpose into the accidental universe, if we live in such? There can be no materialist-physicalist explanation for our belief in any teleology whatsoever.
There are no "ifs" in Determinism, though.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm I get that. But think of it another way.

What would occur to me standing at the edge of an ocean is how both the ocean and I are embedded in the staggering enormity of "all there is".
Well, taking that perspective is a choice, though. We can choose to be pessimistic about this situation, or we can choose to be optimistic. We don't have to be pessimists.

I can either choose to stand on the seashore, crying about how small I am, or I can look at the cup of water in my hand, and marvel that I have been enabled to look at a genuine sample from something as vast and amazing as the Atlantic Ocean.
I, like you, have no way to determine if what I think here is ever really an autonomous option.

The problem is simple, really: you can either go with a totally un-scientifically-demonstrable theory (Determinism) and spend your life worrying it's true, or you can go with the obvious existential fact that nobody ever lives as a Determinist, and use that observation to open yourself back up to the possibility that Determinism might be just totally wrong.

That's a non-answer, actually. Because it leaves us with this huge disjunction between the theory of Determinism and the facts of real life, and does not even try to explain how such a thing could ever happen.

Suddenly, Determinism itself has abandoned causal explanations, it seems. :wink:
What on Earth can be odd if everything on Earth unfolds solely in accordance with how everything unfolds throughout the entire universe. Or multiverse?
The Multiverse Hypothesis is irrational and unscientific itself.

But we've now lapsed into a kind of mysticism, haven't we? We're asserting Determinism without good reasons, but merely on the basis of fear. We worry that Determinism could be true, even despite the questions it fails even to try to answer, so we're paralyzed with doubt, and tell ourselves it IS true....even though we never can live as if it is.

Surely this is "monsters under the bed' thinking. We're now a long, long way from being rational.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm But once we opt for Determinism, there can be no thought of free will again. That's because Determinism is an absolute belief; it's whole cachet is that it purports to explain everything, not just some things.
In other words, we opt for determinism because we are compelled by the laws of nature to.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm No, not at all. I definitely did not mean that.

Laws of nature are no problem for free will, so long as we suppose that not everything is explained with reference to nothing but laws of nature. A person can rationally believe that, say, thunderstorms are nothing but the result of natural laws, but that human choices can (at least sometimes) be volitional, not merely a product of natural causes.
Yes, someone can believe this. But for many hard determinists what we believe about free will re the human brain is on par with the thunderstorm. Why? Because the laws of matter in the human brain are interchangeable with the laws of matter in the thunderstorm. There is just this "internal" component in "us" that revolves around how matter was able to configure itself from lifeless, mindless matter into matter conscious of itself as matter wholly in sync with nature's laws. Or for most configured into the illusion that their own conscious matter is free.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm And furthermore, the "laws of nature" have no "opinion" whatsoever about what we believe. They don't "care" if we believe in Determinism or in free will. They don't "care" at all, in fact. So they don't "compel" any beliefs. So far as we know, the laws of nature would be just as happy for us to believe true things or untrue things.
In other words, reality here is all ontological. There is no teleological component. Other than in how the mind tricks us into believing that there is. Which most are compelled to call God.
verification and falsification are just along for the ride as well.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm No, only when we look at them merely phenomenologically. If we're trying to choose a theory that's scientific, then they rule out a theory like Determinism. It will never be, and can never be, scientific, because it cannot be falsified.
But then [from my frame of mind] around and around it goes. We look at them in the only possible way we were ever able to look at them. We come to conclusions about falsification because we were never able not to. Meanwhile, even given the most sophisticated scientific experiments on the functioning human brain, we are still able only to make more or less educated guesses as to whether any of this -- this exchange -- could ever have been other than as it must be.

Thus...
Even if particular neuroscientists hold a press conference some day and announce to the world they have verifiable evidence to prove free will does in fact exist, that too may well be entirely in sync with the only possible reality.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm There it is! Since there are no conditions under which Determinism could ever be even potentially shown false, it can never be established on any scientific basis that it's true either.

It's a dead theory, so far a science is concerned. Science can't help us with it.
Of course, imagine a thousand years ago speculations by the best and brightest minds around on what science either can or cannot help us understand. Now, imagine a thousand years into the future. Same thing. What the best and the brightest minds around speculating on the limits on science then come up with.

Then for me it's back to the grim conclusion that, dead and gone, I'm no longer part of anything at all. Yet still unable to stop myself from pondering it all the more. Though maybe only because I was never able to opt to stop.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm There are no "ifs" in Determinism, though.
Or, given determinism as I understand it, all ifs ands and buts fated or destined to be in the only possible "mere mortals in a No God world" reality.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm Well, taking that perspective is a choice, though. We can choose to be pessimistic about this situation, or we can choose to be optimistic. We don't have to be pessimists.

I can either choose to stand on the seashore, crying about how small I am, or I can look at the cup of water in my hand, and marvel that I have been enabled to look at a genuine sample from something as vast and amazing as the Atlantic Ocean.
Unless, of course, my own understanding of determinism re the human brain and the laws of matter compels all optimists and all pessimists to carry on wholly and solely in accordance with the only possible reality.

For me, the way you speak of choosing here requires me to go here: click.

Click: the assumption that free will is the way of the world for human inhabitants on this teeny, tiny planet in the staggering vastness of all there is.

I might have a dream in which I choose to stand on a seashore. Then I wake up and realize I had only actually "chosen" this. Then back to the wide awake brain just "somehow" being different.

In other words [for me] ever and always back to this...
I, like you, have no way to determine if what I think here is ever really an autonomous option.

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:59 pm The problem is simple, really: you can either go with a totally un-scientifically-demonstrable theory (Determinism) and spend your life worrying it's true, or you can go with the obvious existential fact that nobody ever lives as a Determinist, and use that observation to open yourself back up to the possibility that Determinism might be just totally wrong.
Here though I'm back to Schopenhauer:

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills. You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want..."

The fact that the human brain tricks you into believing that you are not living as a determinist doesn't make it any less so that in fact you may well be entirely determined regarding everything that you think, feel, say and do.

Thus, given the manner in which I construe determinism, you were never able to not believe that my own answers here are "non-answers, actually. Because it leaves us with this huge disjunction between the theory of Determinism and the facts of real life, and does not even try to explain how such a thing could ever happen."

What any of us believe regarding a disjunction between theory and practice is, as well, just along for the only possible ride in the only possible reality.

And the more we delve into these deeply, deeply puzzling components embedded in what we simply do not yet know about the existence of existence itself, the more it might only seem to be "a kind of mysticism".

But you have to first presume that free will does exists in order to presume further that some reasons are good and some reasons are not.