Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: compatibilism

Post by henry quirk »

Ah, I see...pop psych analysis...okay.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:34 pm Ah, I see...pop psych analysis...okay.
I was thinking of training soldiers how to bayonet people. The new recruits have to practice on filled sacks or dead pigs or such like so they psych themselves up to be able to do it on real living men.

You may be aware how an evil culture becomes what people believe to be normal.
https://www.history.com/news/how-the-hi ... into-nazis
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

So: we've gone from self-reliant, largely peaceful, folks protecting their cats, dogs, chickens, and sheep (not to mention children) from encroaching foxes to...Nazis!

It's like Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:30 pm So: we've gone from self-reliant, largely peaceful, folks protecting their cats, dogs, chickens, and sheep (not to mention children) from encroaching foxes to...Nazis!

But we were discussing how people get brutalised as a general principle.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:30 pm So: we've gone from self-reliant, largely peaceful, folks protecting their cats, dogs, chickens, and sheep (not to mention children) from encroaching foxes to...Nazis!

No, you were.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Do you consider the possibility of persuading your coterie of nocturnal killers to adopt sensible attitudes to foxes and to pest control?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:36 pm

No, you were.
Did you not read what I wrote? If you did so, in the full sense of 'read' as a fluent reader, then you were discussing the material whether or not you typed out a response.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Well, you've been tryin' to steer the back & forth in that direction, yeah. I haven't exactly cooperated though, mostly cuz I think you're seein' connections that aren't there.

Do you consider the possibility of persuading your coterie of nocturnal killers to adopt sensible attitudes to foxes and to pest control?
Nope.

Did you not read what I wrote? If you did so, in the full sense of 'read' as a fluent reader, then you were discussing the material whether or not you typed out a response.
Uh, no, I wasn't.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:26 pm
Well, you've been tryin' to steer the back & forth in that direction, yeah. I haven't exactly cooperated though, mostly cuz I think you're seein' connections that aren't there.

Nope.

Uh, no, I wasn't.
When I was a girl I liked to fish in the sea from a rowing boat. One day someone saw me carrying the oars down to the boat and said " Going out to kill things again Belinda?" Sometimes a light remark turns one's ideas around. I 'd better stop nagging.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I 'd better stop nagging.
Oh, you can nag all you like. Just don't expect too much to come from it (with me, at least).
Last edited by henry quirk on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Compatibilism
David Agler
Quick Review

Determinism is the general idea that either physical or causal
determinism is true.

Surface freedom: S has surface freedom if and only if S can act on their
desires without interference.

Deep freedom: S has deep freedom if and only if (1) S could have acted
otherwise and (2) the source of S's action is found in themselves (they
are in control of their desires to the extent to which they can be held
morally responsible for their action
1] We will need a context

2] in exploring this context, our only option is to assume some measure of free will. Why? Because, in my view, discussions such as this would be subsumed in this:

All of this going back to how the matter we call the human brain was "somehow" able to acquire autonomy when non-living matter "somehow" became living matter "somehow" became conscious matter "somehow" became self-conscious matter.

Then those here who actually believe that what they believe about all of this reflects, what, the ontological truth about the human condition itself?

Then those who are compelled in turn to insist on a teleological component as well. Usually in the form of one or another God.

Meanwhile, philosophers and scientists and theologians have been grappling with this profound mystery now for thousands of years.

Either in the only possible reality in the only possible world or of their own volition.

Compatibilism and Incompatibilism

Compatibilism - freedom and determinism are consistent, viz., both
of the positions can be true.

Incompatibilism - freedom and determinism are inconsistent,
viz., both of the positions cannot be true.
Someday [hopefully] in a world where compatibilism reigns, someone will actually be able to explain to me how on earth compatibilism can possibly make any sense at all given determinism.
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 am Someday [hopefully] in a world where compatibilism reigns, someone will actually be able to explain to me how on earth compatibilism can possibly make any sense at all given determinism.
It doesn't. Compatibilism doesn't make any sense at all.

Kant wrote "This is a wretched subterfuge with which some persons still let themselves be put off, and so think they have solved, with a petty word-jugglery, that difficult problem, at the solution of which centuries have labored in vain, and which can therefore scarcely be found so completely on the surface." In modern language, that means "This is a terrible trick that some people still fall for. They think that by playing with words, they've solved a hard problem that people have been trying to solve for centuries but haven't been able to, so it's not likely to be so clear on the surface."

Wallace Matson described compatibilism as "the most flabbergasting instance of the fallacy of changing the subject to be encountered anywhere in the complete history of sophistry… [a ploy that] was intended to take in the vulgar, but which has beguiled the learned in our time." Compatibilism, in his view, was the most shocking example of the fallacy of changing the subject he had ever seen in the history of obfuscation; a trick that was meant to fool the uneducated but has now fooled the educated.

William James considered this concept to be a "quagmire of evasion," "eulogistic terminology," and a "mere word-grabbing game played by soft determinists."

Daniel Dennett says that regarding free will "everyday folks mean something demonstrably preposterous."

In short, compatibilists are not susceptible to reason. Their beliefs are not based on evidence or facts; rather, they have blind faith (blind to facts) in a preconceived notion that they are god-like (created in the image of God), and possess god-like abilities. It is extremely disheartening to see how many of us so willingly embrace a lie when we know that evidence shows it to be false. Upon internalizing the falsehood, compatibilists look around in disbelief and wonder what is wrong with the world today. They are completely oblivious to the fact that "ex falso quodlibet" predicts that all forms of insanity, exactly as observed in the world today, will result from the belief in a contradiction like compatibilism. They share responsibility for the madness.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 pm Are you in sync then with the argument that this very exchange we are having is unfolding entirely in sync with the only possible reality in the only possible world? I was never able not to type these words, you were never able not to read them?
BigMike wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:11 pm I like to believe that my actions and arguments reflect my beliefs, if that's what you mean by being in sync. But I am no fatalist. When I'm hungry, I find something to eat. I don't just sit around and wait for the universe to feed me out of the goodness of its heart.
iambiguous wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 pmOkay, then you and I think about "no free will" differently. As I understand it -- compelled or not -- if the human brain is just more matter entirely in sync with the laws of matter, what you think and feel and say and do, whether in regard to what you believe or how you act, is all inherently, necessarily intertwined in the only possible reality. And how can that not be fated, destined?

You're hungry because biologically we are hard-wired to need food. Just as wolves and bears are. But these animals don't pull back and think about it philosophically. It's all instinct. With us however it can also be philosophical. But what if that is also just another manifestation of the brain as matter wholly in sync with the laws of matter?
BigMike wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:11 pmIn my (my brain's) previous response, you (your brain) may replace the word "I" with "my brain" in every case, and it would still be consistent with the point I (my brain) tried to get across. So, too, in this response. And, whenever I use the word "you", feel free (poor choice of words) to replace it with "your brain" if you must. Everything I do is "fated, destined," as you put it, and as I very well may have put it but for the laws of physics. I think you are trying to create a disagreement where none exists.
Okay, but given how I understand determinism, if I am trying to create a disagreement where none exists here, that too is subsumed in the only possible reality. Yet the way in which note this is [to me] something I'd expect from the free will advocates. That if I were truly understanding your point, I would not do this.
BigMike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pmNow, when I look at a blue sky, I am very much aware that there is nothing blue about it at all. I am cognizant of the fact that the perceived blueness is merely a bizarre shorthand representation of electromagnetic waves with a wavelength of 450 nanometers. I don't know how you perceive "blue", nor does it matter as long as we agree to use the same word "blue" when referring to electromagnetic waves of a particular wavelength.
Same thing. However either one of us perceives blue insofar as we use it to describe the sky, that perception is compelled by our brains wholly in sync with the laws of matter. What doesn't matter is that whether we agree or disagree it is still inherently and necessarily in sync as well with the only possible reality.

Again, unless I am misunderstanding what determinism entails. But, from my frame of mind, that would only be pertinent if I am in possession of free will. Then back to all we still do not know about conscious matter itself. Extraordinary matter, certainly. But how extraordinary?

Cue God? Cue Pantheism? Cue a definitive scientific explanation? Cur a definitive philosophical explanation?
BigMike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pmI am a "weak" epiphenomenalist in that I think, and I might be completely wrong about this, that everything I perceive as mental is merely a shorthand representation of brain activity in different regions of my brain. But my conviction that we have no free will does in no way depend on epiphenomenalism, "weak" or "strong". It's just my way of coming to terms with the color blue, Prince's "Purple Rain", anger, and everything else I perceive mentally but is actually physics. When I said that my brain will, at any rate, do what it thinks is best, and that thing will become my will, the will I’m referring to is perceived, just like the blueness of the sky, it’s not real.
Again, however, try to link this to how you construe human responsibility...in particular moral responsibility. Take for example the back and forth now going on in regard to the FBI searching Trump's residence/club at Mar-a-Lago. Is there anything that either side says or does here that is not entirely unfolding in the only possible reality?
BigMike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pmWhen I said that "my brain will, at any rate, do what it thinks is best, and that thing will become my will" the will I’m referring to is perceived, just like the blueness of the sky, it’s not real.
On the other hand, in a way that neither one of us fully understands given the gap between what we think is true here and all that would need to be known about existence itself in order to know unequivocally, what exactly is "real" in regard to self-conscious living matter.
BigMike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pm Let there be no misunderstanding: The universe is physical. As Leucippus said: "Naught happens for nothing, but everything from a ground and of necessity." And that included thoughts, choices, and every "mental" activity. In fact, he even said that the "soul" was made of atoms.
Okay, he said that. He believed that. But what actual hard evidence did he provide in order to demonstrate that all rational men and women are obligated to say it and to believe it in turn? Or was his more a "philosophical" conjecture. His conclusion is said to be true because his premises are said to be true. In a world of words by and large. Words defining and defending other words and not actually connected experimentally and experientially to flesh and blood human interactions.
As though "logic" here is a part of you that "transcends" the fate of all matter that is not us.
BigMike wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:17 pm I thought I had made it clear the "my" logic is physically hardwired in my brain by synapses of various strengths and axon terminals making various connections between neurons, like railroad tracks: Whatever my brain concludes is the result of nerve impulses (action potentials) following the neural network like trains on a track. Trains cannot leap to a new track that leads to a different destination, and nerve signals in my brain cannot jump to neurons that it is not actually connected to in order to arrive at a different conclusion than what the rules of physics mandate.
Okay, how close is that to you saying "I was never able to not type these words and post them...anymore than you were ever able to not read and then react to them. In other words, only as you were ever able to react to them."

It's the part where you argue that you are not a fatalist that eludes me. From my frame of mind, to say that everything we think, feel, say and do is wholly determined by the laws of matter is to say that everything we think, feel, say and do is fated/destined to be "at one" with the only possible reality.

Only, sure, there is a part of me that believes this is preposterous, I "just know" that I have the option to choose freely.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"They share responsibility for the madness."

Compatibalists know what they're doing and they're doing it on purpose. it's a last hail mary to avoid having to 'swallow the last bitter drop', as N put it... the fact of there being no freewill. they believe this is a noble cause because they can't imagine a civil world without people believing they have some degree have freewill.

Also we are hardwired to feel responsible and prideful about our actions and outcomes when they benefit us, and blame others and/or external forces when they don't.

We are the greatest of all liars, to put it mildly.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

BigMike wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 am
iambiguous wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 am Someday [hopefully] in a world where compatibilism reigns, someone will actually be able to explain to me how on earth compatibilism can possibly make any sense at all given determinism.
It doesn't. Compatibilism doesn't make any sense at all.
But then straight back to how surreal points like this can be. If you are a compatibilist, everything that you think, feel, say and do makes sense in that everything that you think, feel, say and do you were never able not to think, feel, say and do. What makes sense is whatever the unfolding reality happens to be. In other words, everything makes sense if it was the only possible reality there can be.

Or so, "here and now", it seems to me.
BigMike wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 amKant wrote "This is a wretched subterfuge with which some persons still let themselves be put off, and so think they have solved, with a petty word-jugglery, that difficult problem, at the solution of which centuries have labored in vain, and which can therefore scarcely be found so completely on the surface." In modern language, that means "This is a terrible trick that some people still fall for. They think that by playing with words, they've solved a hard problem that people have been trying to solve for centuries but haven't been able to, so it's not likely to be so clear on the surface."
Okay, but if you tell someone where to find another that they are intent on killing because you believe you have a moral obligation always to tell the truth how is that not interchangeable with lying about where this person is?

What does it mean to speak of subterfuge in only possible reality in the only possible world? What makes a trick terrible if it could never have not been other than what it must be. Just as some are determined to fall for it and others are not.

All problems, like all solutions are just more sets of dominoes toppling over onto yet more dominoes still as they only ever could have.

Unless, of course, I keep missing some very important points here. And, further, assuming I have the option not to.

Same with this:
BigMike wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 amWallace Matson described compatibilism as "the most flabbergasting instance of the fallacy of changing the subject to be encountered anywhere in the complete history of sophistry… [a ploy that] was intended to take in the vulgar, but which has beguiled the learned in our time." Compatibilism, in his view, was the most shocking example of the fallacy of changing the subject he had ever seen in the history of obfuscation; a trick that was meant to fool the uneducated but has now fooled the educated.
Matson describes only what he was ever able to describe. And to insist that compatibilism is a fallacy is understood quite differently by those who subscribe to free will and by those who do not. And how on earth can something that could only ever be be obfuscated?

Then what?

Then back to what we still don't know about how matter managed to become conscious in the first place.
BigMike wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 amWilliam James considered this concept to be a "quagmire of evasion," "eulogistic terminology," and a "mere word-grabbing game played by soft determinists."

Daniel Dennett says that regarding free will "everyday folks mean something demonstrably preposterous."
Same point though. Mine at least.
BigMike wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 amIn short, compatibilists are not susceptible to reason. Their beliefs are not based on evidence or facts; rather, they have blind faith (blind to facts) in a preconceived notion that they are god-like (created in the image of God), and possess god-like abilities. It is extremely disheartening to see how many of us so willingly embrace a lie when we know that evidence shows it to be false. Upon internalizing the falsehood, compatibilists look around in disbelief and wonder what is wrong with the world today. They are completely oblivious to the fact that "ex falso quodlibet" predicts that all forms of insanity, exactly as observed in the world today, will result from the belief in a contradiction like compatibilism. They share responsibility for the madness.
Over and again, from my frame of mind, the manner in which you note this would seem to be predicated on some measure of free will. We either can choose to opt to be reasonable here or anything and everything that we think about compatibilism is inherently/necessarily "reasonable" because we are compelled by brains wholly in sync with the laws of matter to think what we must about it.