Quantum Theories

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dimebag

Re: Quantum Theories

Post by Dimebag »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 pm vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear

can be heard

can, not must

As I see it: the vibrations that travel through the air or another medium is sound, full-stop.

Really, anyone here seriously want to argue that a deaf man hikin' thru the woods isn't surrounded by sounds becuz he can't hear them?

No, the sounds are there, he simply can't hear them.

Anyone here really want to argue becuz I can't hear a dog whistle, the whistle makes no sound?

Fido, if he could, would call you liar or fool.

It's silliness like...

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

...that leads to the nutjobbery like solipsism.
Imagine if no sentient beings ever evolved hearing. Now does the sound still exist? Do you seriously believe that there are subjective things called sound floating around in the air, just waiting for a mind to come along and grasp them? I prefer the more scientific approach of treating sound as the subjective transduction of vibrations in air particles. Once those air particles hit that ear drum, a transformation takes place. A transfer of energy from the air particles to the vibration of the ear drum and all of its intricate associated mechanism, which both interprets those vibrations, placing them in relevant subsections of frequency, which produce an associated pattern of neural signal from those specific transduction. Only once that happens, and that signal reaches the auditory cortex, does sound happen.

To treat the medium, I.e. the air through which vibrations pass, as the actual subjective sound as heard is neither logical, in line with any knowledge of how sound is produced, nor how the human perceptual and sensory system receives signals and produces the sensory signals.

But, we have already discussed this elsewhere in threads regarding naive realism vs indirect realism.

The naive realist position doesn’t explain things like mistakes in perception, mishearing, illusions, etc. But. You are entitled to your opinion. This is my opinion.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 pm
Age wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:20 pm "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

All answers are welcome. This thread is just for fun.
If you put a camera and microphone in the forest, and wait long enough, then you will find out.
Cameras and microphones record data. The machines themselves do not hear or see anything.
I NEVER said, suggested, NOR even implied that machines, themselves, hear nor see ANY thing.
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 pm There is here only recorded echoes of events....not actual real-time events...knowing or knowledge known is on demand via memory aka dead and gone. The knower observer is an illusion appearing real as an echo only, an auditory illusion of light and sound.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:31 am

I NEVER said, suggested, NOR even implied that machines, themselves, hear nor see ANY thing.
No one said you suggested or implied anything. There was just a responsive reply to some external data. The data was the cause of an effect. The stimulus provoked a reaction, a jerk.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:48 am
Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:31 am

No one said you suggested or implied anything. There was just a responsive reply to some external data. The data was the cause of an effect. The stimulus provoked a reaction, a jerk.
But the, alleged, "responsive reply" was not a response to ANY thing that I said nor even suggested. So, 'you' were NOT responding to nothing I was talking about.

You asked the question;
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

And even also wrote:
All answers are welcome.

I provided the ACTUAL ANSWER, which when the experiment has been done, and the results are in, will PROVE the answer, which you are looking for here.

Was your, so called, "responsive reply" attempting to detract away from this FACT?

Do you agree, or disagree, that what I said can and WILL PROVE, ONCE and for ALL, whether there is noise in the forest, or not, when no one is around to hear?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

This is my opinion.

👍
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:19 pm This is my opinion.

👍
🆗 :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 pm

You asked the question;

And even also wrote:
All answers are welcome.

I provided the ACTUAL ANSWER, which when the experiment has been done, and the results are in, will PROVE the answer, which you are looking for here.
Thank you for your answer.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:37 pm
Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 pm

You asked the question;

And even also wrote:
All answers are welcome.

Thank you for your answer.
Your welcome. Anytime.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 pm
Your welcome. Anytime.
Answers to Questions took place at no place and no time. :D
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 pm

👍
The 👍 is directed to Dime.

edit: addin' that pesky 'is'
Last edited by henry quirk on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:56 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:33 pm

👍
The 👍 directed to Dime.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 pm
Your welcome. Anytime.
If some thing can 'take place', then that implies or infers that there was a 'place', and a 'time'.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 pm
Your welcome. Anytime.
If some thing can 'take place', then that implies or infers that there was a 'place', and a 'time'.
Place is all here. There is no some thing that can take the place of place.

Inferrences take place at no place and no time. There is no before or after 'no place or time' for something to 'take place' or happen. Happenings are all now.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm
Age wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Place is all here. There is no some thing that can take the place of place.

Inferrences take place at no place and no time. There is no before or after 'no place or time' for something to 'take place' or happen. Happenings are all now.
If you say and believe so, then 'it' is so.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:47 pm no more sound than when the bear scratches its bark

-Imp
When a bear shits in the woods, does that mean the Pope is still Catholic?