Any imaginable thing is real

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Any imaginable thing is real

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:56 pm I mean it a thing as a whole.
Say what?

They for sure exist if they are coherent. By coherent I mean if they could manifest themselves.
Oy vey. What are you talking about? "Manifest themselves"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 pm
Say what?

They for sure exist if they are coherent. By coherent I mean if they could manifest themselves.
Could be real.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:01 pm
Say what?

Could be real.
What would a set even be as something other than a mental abstraction?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:01 pm
Say what?

Could be real.
What would a set even be as something other than a mental abstraction?
Set is mental. I am talking about things though.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm
Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 am I am going to split your comment in two so I can address it.
commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:50 am It may be impossible to put into words, even if it is possible to imagine it.

One might express semantically a sphere and a corner separately, but not a sphere with a corner.
It's precisely about semantics. I won't focus on the sphere with a corner because Impenitent hasn't told me how to construct the interpretative framework for it.

So lets say I told you about a "square circle". And you said "you might semantically express square and circle separately, but not a square circle"

What you are really telling me is that you lack the semantic framework in which to interpret a "square circle". You lack the kind of geometry in which those two concepts can coexist without causing you mental anguish.

But when I tell you about the kind of geometry I have in mind then you'll go "Oooooohhhhhh! Is that what you mean?". And your outrage evaporates.

When you abandon your semantics and substitute them for mine, then you understand the square circle as I understand it.

So if Impenitent provides me with the geometry/semantic he's using then I don't see a problem. But on the principle of charity, I at least, have to ask for it.
commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:50 am It’s preposterous to claim that whatever can be imagined exists in the physical world.
Is it as preposterous as the existence of square circles? Because those are in every city.
Oooooohhhhhh!
Now that I understand that a square circle is not only imaginable but also describable when using the appropriate semantics and that, furthermore, it is real in every city, it remains to be seen whether ANY imaginable thing exists in reality, I.e. whether ALL imaginable things are real.

To see that that is NOT the case, one needs to cite an imaginable thing that is not real.

Are there unicorns with purple stripes, or polka-dotted pigs that fly or speak Pig Latin?

Is it fair to say that those pigs and unicorns are not real just because no one has ever reported seeing either in a peer-reviewed journal?

If I can imagine a forum member who is clever enough to pull catchy but preposterous phrases out of his anus, does that mean that bahman is real?

Both serious replies (from Skepdick) and petulant protests (from bahman) are welcome.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 am
commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm
Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 am I am going to split your comment in two so I can address it.

It's precisely about semantics. I won't focus on the sphere with a corner because Impenitent hasn't told me how to construct the interpretative framework for it.

So lets say I told you about a "square circle". And you said "you might semantically express square and circle separately, but not a square circle"

What you are really telling me is that you lack the semantic framework in which to interpret a "square circle". You lack the kind of geometry in which those two concepts can coexist without causing you mental anguish.

But when I tell you about the kind of geometry I have in mind then you'll go "Oooooohhhhhh! Is that what you mean?". And your outrage evaporates.

When you abandon your semantics and substitute them for mine, then you understand the square circle as I understand it.

So if Impenitent provides me with the geometry/semantic he's using then I don't see a problem. But on the principle of charity, I at least, have to ask for it.

Is it as preposterous as the existence of square circles? Because those are in every city.
Oooooohhhhhh!
Now that I understand that a square circle is not only imaginable but also describable when using the appropriate semantics and that, furthermore, it is real in every city, it remains to be seen whether ANY imaginable thing exists in reality, I.e. whether ALL imaginable things are real.

To see that that is NOT the case, one needs to cite an imaginable thing that is not real.

Are there unicorns with purple stripes, or polka-dotted pigs that fly or speak Pig Latin?

Is it fair to say that those pigs and unicorns are not real just because no one has ever reported seeing either in a peer-reviewed journal?

If I can imagine a forum member who is clever enough to pull catchy but preposterous phrases out of his anus, does that mean that bahman is real?

Both serious replies (from Skepdick) and petulant protests (from bahman) are welcome.
There is even a you (commonsense) who is trying to convince a me (bahman) that any imaginable thing is real now somewhere in the whole right now. Another you being the unicorn and another me be the Pig. :mrgreen:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman,

I sincerely regret poking fun at you just now and for every time before that.

I will continue on occasion to debunk your posts, however I will refrain from making mean personal comments about you even if intended in jest.

I’m sorry, man, sorry.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:14 am bahman,

I sincerely regret poking fun at you just now and for every time before that.

I will continue on occasion to debunk your posts, however I will refrain from making mean personal comments about you even if intended in jest.

I’m sorry, man, sorry.
No problem, dude. 8) Your criticism is always welcome.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:50 pm The whole is boundless (this is discussed here). Therefore, any imaginable thing is real.
I imagine a large steak and chips with cheese cake to follow.
Sadly I'm still hungry.
What am I doing wrong?
There is even a copy of you somewhere who wishes the large steak and chips with cheesecake and enjoy eating it right now. He has it, you don't. Wishing is not enough in your cases. You need to want it and do something to get it.
How can I get a unicorn steak and a cheese cake made with Dragon milk?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 pm

I imagine a large steak and chips with cheese cake to follow.
Sadly I'm still hungry.
What am I doing wrong?
There is even a copy of you somewhere who wishes the large steak and chips with cheesecake and enjoy eating it right now. He has it, you don't. Wishing is not enough in your cases. You need to want it and do something to get it.
You have to become open very far. If you are lucky you may not become their food!
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 pm I imagine a large steak and chips with cheese cake to follow.
Sadly I'm still hungry.
What am I doing wrong?
Then eat the imaginations that satisfy your hunger.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 am How can I get a unicorn steak and a cheese cake made with Dragon milk?
The way I see it, you have two options.

1. Imagine what it tastes like.
2. Go on an inter-gallactic trip in search for the ingredients.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 am
You have to become open very far. If you are lucky you may not become their food!
LOL