So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Things cannot be simultaneous

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 pm
Because the system at any point is defined by a set of parameters. So the system cannot have these parameters and other parameters.
I'm presuming you'd say that everything extant is the same "system" then?
I am trying to say that a system at a given point cannot be this and that.
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm Per what is the system at any point defined by a set of parameters, and where there can't be more than one parameter at a given time?
The system can have one parameter. Like a falling particle.
You're not understanding me then. I asked you why something else--something outside of a system, can't simultaneously be in some state. So, for example at the same time, my computer is running software that enables me to type this and my stereo is playing music.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:52 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm
I'm presuming you'd say that everything extant is the same "system" then?
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm Per what is the system at any point defined by a set of parameters, and where there can't be more than one parameter at a given time?
You're not understanding me then. I asked you why something else--something outside of a system, can't simultaneously be in some state. So, for example at the same time, my computer is running software that enables me to type this and my stereo is playing music.
I am focusing on one system for sake of argument. There are a lot of systems. It could be you, your computer, etc. Whatever your system is it cannot be in this and that state at the same time.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 pm

I am focusing on one system for sake of argument. There are a lot of systems. It could be you, your computer, etc. Whatever your system is it cannot be in this and that state at the same time.
Okay, but would you say that nothing can be simultaneous between two systems?

Also, so with my computer, it can't be, say, illuminating the power light and sending a signal to the monitor at the same time?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm
No, I didn't say so.
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm Also, so with my computer, it can't be, say, illuminating the power light and sending a signal to the monitor at the same time?
Sending signal takes time but at any given point signal is in a given state and not another state.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:07 pm
No, I didn't say so.
Then you probably shouldn't word the subject line so generally.
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm Also, so with my computer, it can't be, say, illuminating the power light and sending a signal to the monitor at the same time?
Sending signal takes time but at any given point signal is in a given state and not another state.
Not what I asked you. Can the computer both be illuminating the power button and sending a video signal at the same time? Yes or no.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:10 pm
No, I didn't say so.
You can always add more systems. More systems, more parameters.
Not what I asked you. Can the computer both be illuminating the power button and sending a video signal at the same time? Yes or no.
You can use the signal for power. It also carries information for your monitor. Regardless, the signal at any given point is at one state.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:18 pm
No, I didn't say so.

You can use the signal for power. It also carries information for your monitor. Regardless, the signal at any given point is at one state.
Was that a yes or a no?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 pm
Was that a yes or a no?
The signal carry power in form of information.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 pm

Was that a yes or a no?
Do you not understand English?

Why does every one of these boards amount to babysitting retards/insane people?
Last edited by Terrapin Station on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:36 pm
Was that a yes or a no?

Why does everyone of these boards amount to babysitting retards/insane people?
Your question is wrong. You cannot answer that with yes or no because the signal and the information are the same things. You want to say that they are different therefore two things can happen at the same time.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Your question is wrong. You cannot answer that with yes or no because the signal and the information are the same things. You want to say that they are different therefore two things can happen at the same time.
You're saying that illuminating the power light and the signal or information or whatever you want to call it going to the monitor are the same thing?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:49 pm

You're saying that illuminating the power light and the signal or information or whatever you want to call it going to the monitor are the same thing?
My monitor uses two cables one for signal and another one for power. How is yours?
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:51 pm
My monitor uses two cables one for signal and another one for power. How is yours?
What does that have to do with the question I'm asking you? Is the illumination of the power light and the signal/information going to the monitor the same thing, yes or no?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 pm
What does that have to do with the question I'm asking you? Is the illumination of the power light and the signal/information going to the monitor the same thing, yes or no?
As I said there are two cables for my monitor one is for power and another for information. So there two systems.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 pm
As I said there are two cables for my monitor one is for power and another for information. So there two systems.
Ah--so earlier you gave a computer as an example of a system.

So basically this is amounting to you simply telling us that you're defining "system" so that it can only be in one state at a time.