metaphysics is...

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: metaphysics is...

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm I mean good, truth, and beauty transcend definitions, and are entirely subjective.
Are you just being glib or is this really what you believe as a fundamental?

Truth is entirely subjective?
Good is entirely subjective?

Perhaps in the sense that what any individual will regard as beautiful, beauty is subjective, but what is meant by beauty, as opposed to ugliness, is that also subjective?

If everything is subjective, how can anything have any meaning? How can any two people ever talk about what is good, if good is just some subjective thing. There would be no way for us to know if your subjective good meant the same thing as my subjective good, or even if what we meant by good was related, would there.

Now I suspect your statement is sort-of, "off the cuff," and implies more than stated. If that's the case, perhaps you'd like to expand on that thought.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm I mean good, truth, and beauty transcend definitions, and are entirely subjective.
Are you just being glib or is this really what you believe as a fundamental?

Truth is entirely subjective?
Good is entirely subjective?

Perhaps in the sense that what any individual will regard as beautiful, beauty is subjective, but what is meant by beauty, as opposed to ugliness, is that also subjective?

If everything is subjective, how can anything have any meaning? How can any two people ever talk about what is good, if good is just some subjective thing. There would be no way for us to know if your subjective good meant the same thing as my subjective good, or even if what we meant by good was related, would there.

Now I suspect your statement is sort-of, "off the cuff," and implies more than stated. If that's the case, perhaps you'd like to expand on that thought.
I really and sincerely mean it.These virtues transcend experience, rather like how God transcends experience. The way your subjective good may be like my subjective good is if we have similar life experiences in similar cultural habitats.

Meanings are made by men and other consciousnesses.

Ugliness does not transcend experiences, by a long shot. Neither does evil, or lies transcend experience.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:51 am
Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:22 pm
The only transcendental ethics are good, truth, and beauty. Even justice is hammered out in experience.
Could you elaborate further on that statement please? The only transcendental ethics?
Why does ethics have to be transcendental? Why good truth beauty?
I mean good, truth, and beauty transcend definitions, and are entirely subjective.
So they are just each individual person's feelings? Like the Emotivism in Ethics?
Relativism, Subjectivism and Scepticism?
If they are, fine. If not, what would be the difference?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Zarathustra wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:27 am So they are just each individual person's feelings? Like the Emotivism in Ethics?
Notice that you are using the word "just".

Is that an emotion used for dismissal?
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:24 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:27 am So they are just each individual person's feelings? Like the Emotivism in Ethics?
Notice that you are using the word "just".

Is that an emotion used for dismissal?
It is not an emotion. It is for limiting.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Zarathustra wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:38 pm It is not an emotion. It is for limiting.
Why do you want to impose such an arbitrary limit?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Zarathustra wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:27 am
Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:51 am

Could you elaborate further on that statement please? The only transcendental ethics?
Why does ethics have to be transcendental? Why good truth beauty?
I mean good, truth, and beauty transcend definitions, and are entirely subjective.
So they are just each individual person's feelings? Like the Emotivism in Ethics?
Relativism, Subjectivism and Scepticism?
If they are, fine. If not, what would be the difference?
Transcendental virtues are the affective perceptions of individual consciousnesses. Ethics are not transcendental virtues which are the same for every conscious awareness. The three transcendental values have no attributes except as people try to define, describe, or explain them from experience whereupon they cease to transcend conceptualisation. Specific ethics arouse different emotional reactions according to the individual consciousness.

Briefly, ethics are concepts : good, truth. and beauty transcend concepts.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Belinda wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Briefly, ethics are concepts : good, truth. and beauty transcend concepts.
I used to think ethics are about actions and deeds. The descriptive concepts are just sub notes in the field.