the anthropic principle solved

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the anthropic principle solved

Post by Advocate »

The universe is fine-tuned for death - life is just a prerequisite.

Re: the anthropic principle solved

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:39 pm The universe is fine-tuned for death - life is just a prerequisite.
But considering that the Universe actually is eternal, and thus does NOT and can NOT die, then WHY would you propose that thee Universe is fine-tuned for death?

Although some living things may die, Life, Itself, is constant.
Advocate

Re: the anthropic principle solved

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=471919 time=1600428990 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=469083 time=1599147578 user_id=15238]
The universe is fine-tuned for death - life is just a prerequisite.
[/quote]

But considering that the Universe actually is eternal, and thus does NOT and can NOT die, then WHY would you propose that the Universe is fine-tuned for death?

Although some living things may die, Life, Itself, is constant.
[/quote]

Everything that lives, dies. Not everything that is dead ever lives. Life is temporary but death is forever. The universe is never alive so death isn't relevant to it. The concept of life has no meaning at that scale. That's one answer to "why", because it's true and meaningful. Another might be, "Because it's a salient way of dismissing woo aficionados who break out an anthropic principle."

personal side note - It must be hard for a black/white thinker but "good enough" is a necessary concept for addressing, much less answering, most philosophical questions. Questioning every possible point of contention is neither possible nor necessary in most cases. The place for direct refutation isn't anywhere proof can fill a gap but anywhere proof Must full the gap. If you can assume an ordinary understanding without wrecking the rest of the contention, that's the way to do it. I have some aspie tendencies but also am rather addicted to metaphor (in a non-literal sense), so my perspective may be more useful than most in this regard. More importantly, probably, is my anti-social nature. Most people will never tell you the truth by default because it offends their sense of niceness, with which they self-identify. I hope this paragraph is useful to you.